PDA

View Full Version : My car doesn't idle.

MattsAccord
09-26-2004, 09:04 PM
Well my car (86 carb 5-speed) hasen't been running very well lately. In the morning when I start it up it just dosen't idle at all, I have to hold the gas to keep it going. Then when I slow down to a stop it idles really, low like 500-750. It never really dies just gets close. I have looked at all my vaccum lines I found one line that was broke but I haven't found any others. I just need to know what my problem is, wheather it be the carb needs a little tuning or it being a vaccum leak somewhere. Please help, any info is very much appreciated. :sadwave:

EDIT: Also when I push on my brakes it brings the idle down more. If I'm at a light and put my foot on the brake it will bring down the idle. If I take my foot off the brake it will raise the idle. :dunno:

MattsAccord
09-26-2004, 10:50 PM
BUMP Please help me I'm ready to push it off a cliff and collect insurance.

HYDE
09-27-2004, 04:54 AM
Hmm can i ask you first? Are there any difference on performance ?
And about the brake brings the idle down, i think it has something to do with electrical(alternator??) because of the tail lights turn on. not really sure though. See if turning on the headlight also effecting your engine idle. Because it also happens with my car.

SteveDX89
09-27-2004, 06:05 AM
Fix the vacuum leak first. Sometimes it's as simple as that. Also try replacing your PCV valve. That little thing can make a world of difference to your idle.

88accordalltheway
09-27-2004, 07:14 AM
it sounds like the main relay. I think some people say to hit the dash where the fuse box is and the idle will come up. im not 100% sure of this but its worth a try. If its not the relay, then id say to do a full tune up. Changing both fuel filters, pcv valve, spark plugs, wires, oil change, ect. Maybe you need a carb rebuild. Good luck.

thegreatdane
09-27-2004, 07:53 AM
His is carbed, meaning he doesnt have a main relay.

Sounds like a vaccum leak to me. About the idle dropping when applying brakes, the idle should normally rise instead.

keruhas184
09-27-2004, 08:49 AM
check the dizzy... for example, i have a new dizzy but some water was getting in through a bad gasket during rain and i had exactly the same problems you describe.

Justin86
09-27-2004, 09:14 AM
I told you to get a bigger hammer, but no you won't listen. :D
oh yea by the way your intake air temp sensor, the one you fried, is part of the fast idle system, and is most likely your problem. ;) As for you idle being low I think we can call it old age for now.

MattsAccord
09-27-2004, 09:31 PM
check the dizzy... for example, i have a new dizzy but some water was getting in through a bad gasket during rain and i had exactly the same problems you describe.

It hasn't rained here for a while. But is there any way to check the dizzy. :sadwave:

MrBen
09-27-2004, 09:34 PM
My car did the same thing with the brakes until I took it in for a tune up :D

I was lazy.

MattsAccord
09-28-2004, 08:04 PM
My car did the same thing with the brakes until I took it in for a tune up :D

I was lazy.
Do you know what they fixed on it or was it just a basic tune up? I went to Honda today and bought a new pcv valve so hopefully that will fix the problem. If not I sure i hasen't been replaced before so it will be, and it didn't cost that much.

rally88lxi
11-19-2004, 09:26 PM
so, does anyone know why his, and my car might be losing rpms while depressing the brake pedal. I thought it might have something to do with a brake fluid pump, however i know nothing about cars. My car idles down when i push the brake pedal, but then goes back up if i let off of it. By the way i have an 88 lxi efi 5-speed manual.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
11-20-2004, 05:50 AM
so, does anyone know why his, and my car might be losing rpms while depressing the brake pedal. I thought it might have something to do with a brake fluid pump, however i know nothing about cars. My car idles down when i push the brake pedal, but then goes back up if i let off of it. By the way i have an 88 lxi efi 5-speed manual.

Our cars are not equipped with brake fluid pumps because the USDM version of the Accord didn't come with ALB brake systems. Another possible cause of the dropping idle may be the fact that the brake booster (big black thing right behind the master cylinder) is powered by vacuum. There is a large vacuum line going to it from the manifold. The vacuum line has a one-way valve that may eventually get worn out and leak causing the brake booster to alter manifold pressure when you press on the brakes. This may lead to a drop in idle.

DanG86LX
11-20-2004, 10:40 AM
Actually the one-way valve there is rarely the prob. It passes air from booster to manifold so basically the the booster diaphragm is at the same vacuum as the manifold!
The booster works like this:
- when driving, both sides of the booster diaphragm are exposed to manifold vacuum, there is no force to brake cylinder shaft.
- when brake is applied, a valve (say A) closes the passage between the front (engine) side and back (driver) side of diaphragm, and another valve (say B) bleeds the back side of diaphragm to atmosphere. Since the back press. > front press, additional force develops on the brake cylinder shaft from booster diaphragm.
Now, valve A may not seal completely or becomes really leaky with time, BINGO rpm drops when braking!
..And sometime bleeding valve B does not seal properly and u got a permanent vacuum leak in brake booster!
A common one is when engine stumble when one releases the brake pedal! That's when bleed valve B closes and valve A opens so air behind diaphragm gets sucked into the manifold and engine gets a big gulp of air!

FoX
11-20-2004, 11:37 AM
did you fix the vacuum before or after you started having this problem? I have watched friends of mine set the idle on a car with a broken vacuum which since it was broken made the car idle higher. then when they did fix it the car wouldnt run because then it idled down like it was supposed to and they completly forgot they set the idle when the hose was broken.

NeoCloud
11-24-2004, 05:20 AM
it sounds like the main relay. I think some people say to hit the dash where the fuse box is and the idle will come up. im not 100% sure of this but its worth a try. If its not the relay, then id say to do a full tune up. Changing both fuel filters, pcv valve, spark plugs, wires, oil change, ect. Maybe you need a carb rebuild. Good luck.
Lol,hit dash,repeat.This is what I do when my headlights dim out and my gauges dim out,it seems to work untill I either play my stereo real loud or overrev.