PDA

View Full Version : AUDIO GODS! pro installers help!

bboipinoy112
09-26-2004, 11:00 PM
ok here. this isnt a 3g accord problem. but i thought i knew how to install a headunit. so i installed my uncles headunit into his Acura Slx suv. so then i install it. everything works. except for the memory which i fergot to hook up. so they call me the next day. and they tell me the memory is yadda yaa right? ok well. so i take out the HU. and i fix it. but now... for some weird ass reason.... the lights now OPERATE backwards... as in ... the guage cluster is lit when the parking/headlights are not on ... but when you turn the switch to parking/headlights .. the cluster lights turn off. . . why is it doing this? i checked all the fuses. and they arnt blown... HELP! PROS HELP! .. in short terms... not knowing why it does this. and i installed the HU to the best of knowledge. the cluster is lit when the parking/headlights ARNT on.. but when you turn on parking/headlights on.. it turns off. now hes driving at night with no lit cluster. what is going on?????? how do i fix this?

if this is in the wrong section. mods, feel free to move. sorry for the inconvienence

TWOLOUDNPROUD
09-26-2004, 11:14 PM
It sound's like you hooked the ground wire from the radio to the parking light wire.That wire will test as a ground when the lights are off that might be it.

Strugglebucket
09-26-2004, 11:20 PM
did you use a wiring harness to connect to the factory wiring or did you cut and splice? it sounds like you have a wire mixed up somewhere, like the dimmer signal is grounding through one of the speaker wires or some random crap. try unhooking the dimmer wire from the deck and see what happens.
i would suggest you unplug all your wiring and then go in with a multitester and double check that all the important stuff is what it should be. ground, constant 12v, and switched 12v are all you really need to worry about. you might want to try grounding the deck to an actual ground instead of the the vehicle's wiring.
hope this helps.

catalin
09-27-2004, 11:51 AM
You most likely connected the dimmer/illumination wire of the car side to constant power and I'm guessing that maybe...maybe the dimmer for the lights is turned all the way to off.

Either way, disconnect the dimmer wire which should be red/black and all should be fine.

GOD HAS SPOKEN! :deal:

blahblahblah
09-27-2004, 02:34 PM
It sound's like you hooked the ground wire from the radio to the parking light wire.That wire will test as a ground when the lights are off that might be it.

I say that too,...Its closeing the circuit it sounds like....When you turn the lights on, theres now power going thu, so its off...No ground now!

bboipinoy112
09-27-2004, 07:05 PM
I say that too,...Its closeing the circuit it sounds like....When you turn the lights on, theres now power going thu, so its off...No ground now!

so your saying .. if i did that .. the headunit is turning on when i connected the ground to the parking lights ? because its turning on. and i didnt disconnect the ground since i first installed. i just disconnected the power and others but not the speakers wires since it was obvious that they were since the speakers wires were pre-connected into pairs allready.

ADD- well here check this .. actually none of the wires are touching eachother.. i seperated them in different directions. . and is still doing it . . i hella dont know what to do . . my uncle is getting hella mad . . cause ive been doing everybodies car audio from headunits,amps,speakers,tweets,caps,sub-enclosures. . and nothing like this has happend to me . . . help ..

blahblahblah
09-29-2004, 10:49 AM
No,,The wire(the memory) that you hooked up after the install is not in the right spot...Make sure its the memory too....It sounds like its on a ground and not power....so its working backwords and sending power to the lights in the car....And it turns into a ground when you turn the lights on.....

bboipinoy112
10-03-2004, 12:35 PM
ok so ... i hooked all the wires back up to the stock deck ... and its still doing the same .. im lost and confused... so now he IS mad at me .. not GETTING mad anymore .. all good. any other suggestions ?

88accordalltheway
10-03-2004, 12:38 PM
wtf did you do? did you mess with any other wires in the dash? check the fuese.

bboipinoy112
10-03-2004, 12:57 PM
nope. didnt mess with any other wires. checked fuses.

catalin
10-03-2004, 07:31 PM
How are you checking the fuses?? Are you actully using a meter or test light?

POS carb
10-04-2004, 05:52 AM
did you hook up 12v to the dimmer wire? I'm thinking you did something like that and hopefully didn't cook anything. What about the inderior lights (dome/door) do they operate normally? Does the dimmer knob have any effect? Did you disconnect the radio and cut the dimmer wire and see if it goes back to normal?