PDA

View Full Version : car wont go into any gear

bboipinoy112
09-26-2004, 11:14 PM
why? just the other day i was able to shift so smoothly... now ... i gotta yank that peice of shit down so hard into 2nd.. fCkk 1st gear man... its just way to hard to get it into 1st... so i just slam it real hard down into 2nd... no chance for 1st.. REALLY hard for 2nd.. hard for 3rd.. a little easier.. and smooth for 5th.. . . it doesnt grind at all tho... how do i fix it ? . .. does it need tranny fluid? help.... please?

blazin3gen
09-26-2004, 11:21 PM
i want to know too my bimmer 1st gets stuck too!

maka_RTH
09-26-2004, 11:23 PM
it doesn't grind at all for any gear? i' say if it grinds, check your clutch cable adjustment. if it doesn't grind..., you may want to check you tranny fluid. if you want pics to show you how, i could get some. basically, take the filler bolt off, stick your finger in to see how full it is. it should be filled up to the hole. if it's low, then throw some more in there. you may want to try changing the fluid altogether if you've never done it before. it wouldn't hurt at all.

Strugglebucket
09-26-2004, 11:33 PM
yeah, if you drain whats already in it you can see how much sparkling gear-glitter you have.

AZmike
09-27-2004, 12:04 PM
Before draining be sure you can get the fill bolt loose. Otherwise filling it back up will take some creativity (the removal of the speed sensor).

86LXItooFAST4me
09-27-2004, 12:10 PM
that almost sounds like a clutch problem. beside the hard gear shifting, are you having any slipping of the clutch at all? lose of power? funny noises while in gear?

bboipinoy112
09-27-2004, 06:56 PM
well theres funny noises when when i press down on the clutch.... sounds like metal plates rubbing the shit out of eachother... sounds real nasty... loss of power? nah... not feeling it... but i swaped in a 89 ecu into my 86... and im getting major first gear whiplash if i ever do get it into 1st... but anyways.. back to topic... when i shift into other gears during normal driving.. i gotta yank it into gear.. and it sorta snaps into it ... kinda sounds like i just snaped some ones arm bones . .

maka_RTH
09-27-2004, 06:59 PM
does it grind at all going into gear? i'd say if it does..., then you may need to adjust the clutch, or you need a new one. usually if you clutch is going out, it just hard to get going while in gear, not hard to get into gear.

bboipinoy112
09-27-2004, 07:16 PM
well i have the clutch setted to where i have a bit play at the top. so when i push the pedal down all the way. i can disengage better? .. but its not hard at all to get going while in gear.. its just hard to GET INTO gear to get going.. yah feel? . . but when i press down on the clutch.. it sounds like major scraping.. . . like you can press and press and start making music with it . . . ok here. its like if there was a grinder at the bottom your clutch pedal. and when you press down on it .. it will start grinding down on the metal. but if you let go, it'll stop the grinding.. iono if that explains the grinding. but earlier when i was driving around... i kind of did this little trick.. when im slowly stoping.. i press down on the clutch.. and try putting it into 1st.. and as i get a little slower. it slips right in... :ugh: . no clue . keep talking people. this is getting me mad. because everything is starting to malfunction. and i dont want to start posting different threads on different problems. SO HELP ! im sucha noob. :uh:

maka_RTH
09-27-2004, 08:26 PM
with the grinding..., i'd almost say maybe it's the throw-out bearing is bad. it sounds like your clutch is gripping pretty good, but when you put it in and the bearing pushes on the pressure plate, it could be the bearing is bad and you get some metal on metal grindage cuz of that. that could also cause your clutch to not disengage or whatever completely, also making it hard to get into the different gears. anybody else think this may be the problem? IF it is, you'd basically have to drop the tranny(which means draining the fluid anyways), and then replace the bearing. while your at it you could check your clutch for wear, but it sounds like its still good. i'd say get a second opinion before ripping your tranny out though..., cuz that can be a bit of work..

bboipinoy112
09-30-2004, 10:34 PM
NEW PROBLEM! . .. ok . so i was early on my way to an interview. so i stoped by the mall to kick it.when i got into the parking lot.. i noticed my clutch was way way playable and only about 2inches of engagement play . . so i thought maybe my clutch just burnt from traffic. so i thought to cool it down would help... and when it was time to leave.... i get in the car.. same thing.. lot of play. and 2inches of engagement. my clutch.. not personal issues lmao. ANYWAYS. so i call my dad. and tell him the problem, and he says. just baby it. so i was. and i reversed it. and forwarded it outta my prking spot. as i was pulling up to the stop sign i pushed down the clutch. and i felt a little snap. click. whatever you call it. and it went from 2inches. all the way to the ground.... what the fuck? so i told my gf to steer it into the prking spot.. and i pop'd the hood open. and i thought my cable snap'd ... so i went to where the adjuster is and the release arm. and i yanked on the cable in between. and i was able to pull alot of the cable. before it wasnt able to do that... could it be my CLUTCH CABLE? ... or would it be broken/damage throw-out bearing? ? SOME ONE HELP ! ! ! ! its at the malls parking lot right now and i dont have access to it.

maka_RTH
09-30-2004, 11:18 PM
if you can keep pulling your cable, then it sounds like its busted. find out where it's broken at, and you're proly gonna have to replace it. it could've just come loose.., but you said it sounded like something broke.., so yah. hopefully if something did break, it was the cable and not a bracket...

bboipinoy112
09-30-2004, 11:48 PM
well ive been searching 3geez.com about release bearings going out.. all of them said the same things as clutch cables breaking. either it was. clutch cable breaking... or release bearing going bad. or springs on the disk comming out. yadda yaaa. i need the car by 2pm tomorrow. and i have to get the car tow'd out by tomorrow when its so obvious that my car has been there for a whole 24hr. my schedule tomorrow is so wack. i have so much shit to do. blah.. why am i ranting... its not going to be fixed.. i cant even look at the car right now since its sitting about 25 miles away. BLAH!. i hope after this. i can answer peoples questions when something similar happends to them.. not that im saying it will happen.. but if it does.. ill be shure to help like you all help me... LMAO GROUP HUG b!tches! . haha 3geez is one big ass family with personal; problems within us all.. love hate. a thing line is what seperates us all.. ANYWAYS. ill find out whats wrong with my car. but as of now. tonight and tomorrow. i wont be able to find out what is wrong with my car. but i will have to get up and go to the mall and tow my car on a flat bed.. its gonna look soo cool with my car sitting on a flat bed since my car is so low to the floor. ILL CHECK BACK in a couple days and keep you guys posted.

shepherd79
10-01-2004, 03:45 AM
i had exactly the same problem about month ago. my clutch cable rusted and snaped inside. just replace the clutch cable and you will be fine.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
10-02-2004, 05:58 AM
i had exactly the same problem about month ago. my clutch cable rusted and snaped inside. just replace the clutch cable and you will be fine.

I'd have to disagree on this one with you. If it was just his clutch cable, there wouldn't be any grinding noises from the clutch. My bet is on the throw-out bearing. Also, this is supported by the report of 2 inches of engagement, a snapped cable wouldn't cause the engagement to disappear like that. Try to move the clutch arm by hand and see if it moves with resistance or just flops around. If there is resistance, your clutch cable is probably the culprit. If the arm is loose, the throw out bearing is shot and is no longer pressing on the diaphragm fingers. Hope this helps.

bboipinoy112
10-02-2004, 01:30 PM
I'd have to disagree on this one with you. If it was just his clutch cable, there wouldn't be any grinding noises from the clutch. My bet is on the throw-out bearing. Also, this is supported by the report of 2 inches of engagement, a snapped cable wouldn't cause the engagement to disappear like that. Try to move the clutch arm by hand and see if it moves with resistance or just flops around. If there is resistance, your clutch cable is probably the culprit. If the arm is loose, the throw out bearing is shot and is no longer pressing on the diaphragm fingers. Hope this helps.

yep correctimundo ... just yesterday me and my dad went to get the car and tow it ourselves home . . . i pulled on the cable just below the adjuster and above the release arm. and yea. lot of slack. CLUTCH CABLE? nope... the arm was free as hell . . . came to conclusion that its the release bearing . . i wouldve posted yesterday after noon but i was just to busy with otherstuff. but other then that. i hope this thread helps others when situations like this occur ... for the past week or so . . my clutch as been screeching like hell everytime i pushed in the clutch. i have read around that it may be the bearing and some one else suggested in this thread. but i knew i had to drop the tranny again. like the 2nd time.. as in 5spd tranny drop. and then auto tranny drop to do 5spd swap. i mean i have a good idea how to do it now with my eyes closed.. but its still a hassle to even do it. . . thank you guys all for the support and help. . god damn. 3geez is the shit . . . informative as hell . . as for my car . . . its currently undergoing some major changes.. i cant tell . . . cause i want everyone to be surprised on what is going to be done. . no its not a motor swap . . but i will tell you that i am doing a hybrid tranny swap . . and another swap as well . . no one has pictures of the actuall swap. or so i searched and found nuthing. but its been talked about and has been "SAID" swappable. . . lets just say the 3g can BREATH alot better now. . . .with the brain of a b18a . . . heart of a A20 . . nose of a b18 . . . driver from hell :kekeke: keep you guys updated on another thread since the rest is going to be a different topic. PAYCE OUT . - junior -

dinhscot
10-03-2004, 12:22 AM
It might be the Gear Shift cable that runs to the transmission. do u have an auto or manual?

I had similar problem as you and couldn't think of why it was so hard to shift. anyway, a friend was able to spot it out and he replace the cable for me... since then it shift smooth as a baby :welcome:

maka_RTH
10-03-2004, 12:23 AM
It might be the Gear Shift cable that runs to the transmission. do u have an auto or manual?

I had similar problem as you and couldn't think of why it was so hard to shift. anyway, a friend was able to spot it out and he replace the cable for me... since then it shift smooth as a baby :welcome:

just out of curiosity..., did you even read the post before you posted?

bboipinoy112
10-03-2004, 10:52 AM
just out of curiosity..., did you even read the post before you posted?
haha . .jesus .. . and he says :welcome: to ME . . when ive been here just over a year . . man o man. . and im still a noob . . :rofl:
EDIT- wait wait . . . me compared to him . . . im like far far from being a noob. :ugh:
EDIT- jk? hahaha

86LXItooFAST4me
10-04-2004, 03:46 AM
haha, i told yall it was the clutch and not the cable :D