PDA

View Full Version : Engine ended up doing 7600 rpm's :-(

RCracer
07-26-2002, 12:50 AM
Here is what happened.
I was racing a civic last night doing about 50-60mph in D4 he comes right up behind me so I floor it and put it into D3. It gets up to 80-90mph then decides to go into 2nd gear.
I see the rev counter go way up into the red and nearly hit 8000rpm :werd: :wtf: so I knock it into N (neutral) so that the rpms dropped then I pulled it back into D4 and everything seems to be back to normal.
Has anyone any ideas what happened other that the tranny is about to let go.
How strong is the bottom end of the A20 and what rpm's will it take without major damage?
I am interested if I will have damaged the crankshaft main or big end bearings when it was revving at 7500rpm for about 1/2 a second or so as soon as I saw the rev counter in the red I let off the gas and knocked it into N.
:mad: :( :crying:

The engine has 76,000 miles on it and is knock/rattle free (at the moment)
:burn:

hondaisthebest
07-26-2002, 07:42 AM
80mph and 90 mph on second gear?????????????:eek:
Its normal that your engine is redlining at those speed and gears!!
Its not your tranny that gone lets you go but your engine if you always running your engine in the redline.

If you doing that for few seconds i dont thinks its very dangerous because honda engine are very strong but running for a hours like that... Its can damage a lots of things!!!

Jims 86LXI HB
07-26-2002, 08:10 AM
:huh: normal?

RCracer
07-26-2002, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by hondaisthebest
80mph and 90 mph on second gear?????????????:eek:
Its normal that your engine is redlining at those speed and gears!!
Its not your tranny that gone lets you go but your engine if you always running your engine in the redline.

If you doing that for few seconds i dont thinks its very dangerous because honda engine are very strong but running for a hours like that... Its can damage a lots of things!!!

Sorry but my car will only do 65ish mph in 2nd gear (auto) at red line.
The engine reved to just under 8k rpm.
I have spent quite a bit of money on the car in the last few months and am expecting to have to put another auto tranny in.
I think I may have a prelude auto box from a 85 prelude. It is bolted onto a a18 at the moment just not sure if it will fit.
I really just want to know what is the rpms on the a20 engine that damage will occur due to over reving.
I know it has only happened once (thank Fcuk) but it has got me on a paranoia about the fcuking engine as I really didn't want to have to change it yet.

CoAsTeR
07-28-2002, 07:07 AM
I don't know what its like for automatics but I know the official specs from Honda indicate the the MAX speed for each gear in a standard is

1st gear - 50km/h
2nd gear - 100km/h
3rd gear -150km/h

I dont know about you guys but I can get close to those numbers but I won't guy any further since you have to be at about 7200RPM to acheive these specs.

anyways, I don't think you would have hurt anything... you're car is fine... as long as you dont here a big BANG and loss of power, its okay :) My car is standard and I pretty much bring it to 6000rpm every shift....... don't ask me why, its more fun to drive that way hahahah.... I like having power in reserve....... and of course, it sounds cool :rolleyes: Ok ok, I'm just to lazy to shift......

but anyways I'm pretty hard on my car redlining it every shift and she just rolled 410000kms the other day and my car still runs and drives great...... so if you put yours into red for a couple seconds I'm sure you're fine..... unlike me, who does it every day all day, perhaps something will break over time... but nothing yet :) These Honda's just keep going and going and going and.........

A20A1
07-28-2002, 11:55 AM
Mine has slipped to 8,000 going up hill once... nothing seems out of place.

Top speed reached in each gear.

?,?,?mph D4 @ 7,500rpm

125mph D3 @ 7,500rpm

085mph 2nd @ 7,500rpm

A20A1
07-28-2002, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by CoAsTeR
I don't know what its like for automatics but I know the official specs from Honda indicate the the MAX speed for each gear in a standard is

1st gear - 50km/h (30-35mph)
2nd gear - 100km/h (60-65mph)
3rd gear -150km/h (90-95mph)

I dont know about you guys but I can get close to those numbers but I won't guy any further since you have to be at about 7200RPM to acheive these specs...

RCracer
07-28-2002, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the replies at least all I need to fix is the bloody tranny and the engine wont be dieing on me soon :-)

POS carb
07-28-2002, 02:10 PM
if all 4 rods are still inside the block you're ok :D

A20A1
07-28-2002, 04:12 PM
Hey Paul, what is that blue thing in your sig and Avatar pic?

RCracer
07-29-2002, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by A20A1
Hey Paul, what is that blue thing in your sig and Avatar pic?

Hi Mike
the blue thing is a Reliant Robin it is my dads old car.
He has a newer one now!!
It has a 750cc engine, weighs in at 550kg and can be driven on a motorcycle licence.
They were made by a small UK company out of glass fibre with a steel chassis. It was made in 1975.

I will post a pic of his newer one when I find them.

I also own a car made by the same company. It is a reliant scimitar GTE it has 4wheels is powered by a 3litre V6 it is made from fire glass with steel chassis and was the worlds fastest production estate of its time. The one I own was made in 1969. It is a long term restoration project and will be finished by the next millenium:lol :lol :lol

GreenMachine
07-29-2002, 04:31 PM
You must have practically hit the dash when it went it
to second . lol

gr3k0sLaV
07-30-2002, 05:29 AM
ahhh! fuck how'd you get that high RPM? i can just get into redline and my rev limiter kicks in

sanjay
07-31-2002, 03:32 AM
Geelong Australia - I live on the Gold Coast ... do you have any Si's running around down there?

RCracer
07-31-2002, 03:38 AM
Sanjay have you any photos of the car with those wheels and with that engine?????

Quote from sanjay's sig.

88 Accord
Australian Si Model
AND
20" Chrome wheels
Resprayed
Lowered with Air SUspension
3" Exhaust form the cat back
H22A motor - supercharged
Cold Air induction
2 past legal Window tint
Diamond Cut Headlights with Blue tinge
Altezza tail lights
DVD player + mp3 playa + cd player
4" splits
6.5 splits
4 X 1000w RMS amp
1 X 15" MTX subs + 3 12" MTX Subs + 6 8" MTX subs
Custom interior
Pftt YEah RIght more like:
New 15" 5 Spoke alloy mags
Droopy Exhaust Tip
4" Splits + 6 1/2 Rear Speakers with a Sub comming soon (12" Phoenix Gold)