PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Fluid Leak

TEXANHATCH
09-27-2004, 11:38 AM
Hi, I noticed a leak of what I think is power steering fluid because I noticed it when I was trying to bleed the power steering fluid because I refilled it a little bit. This leak is not really notorious unless that you try to bleed the system. I looked under the car and it looks like is coming from whatever is inside of a small square cover. I was reading on the service manual and it could be the steering gear? Is The Gearbox the same that Steering Gear? Both of them use power steering fluid? The leak is not really a big deal but in the reservoir is always under the low fluid leve. Do you know how important is the power steering fluid in that area where is leaking? What do you think that is wrong? :sad2: Thanks in advance!Adrian.

86LXItooFAST4me
09-27-2004, 12:04 PM
Im a little confused with the information you have giving. but what color is the fluid that you have seen leaking and what type of power steering fluid are you using?

and you dont have a "gear box" like you were saying. those are in older vehicles. you have a rack and pinion setup. its the long cylindrical device that bolts to the frame right under the firewall behind the engine. its also where your inner tie rod ends attach to. if it is leaking it would be around the pump or rack or around the PS lines.

also honda has its own PS fluid. i don't know if using a different brand would harm the PS system or not but Lucas makes a PS stop leak if you want a quick fix. other than that i would investigate more and find out where the leak is actually coming from and also determine what kind of fluid is actually leaking.

AZmike
09-27-2004, 05:02 PM
TEXANHATCH please do not start two threads for the same topic. This is also the wrong section. Repair questions go in technical where your first thread is:
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=38244