PDA

View Full Version : Cooling fans not turning on, Missing plug on temp switch

Super_Blue_89LX
09-27-2004, 02:55 PM
1989 two door accord (carbed)

The electric cooling fans are not switching on and causing the car to overheat. I have checked the other posts about the fans in this forum. I already checked the fans by running 12 volts directly to them and they work great. The problem is the temp switch located on the bottom of the radiator about in the middle. There is supposed to be a 2 wire plug connected to this but there is not. I looked around the engine bay and i can't find a loose 2 wire plug that is supposed to go to this temp switch. Anyone got any ideas ? Also, i was looking at the fan relay. The relay is a small 2 prong relay. How is it possible for a relay to only have 2 connections to it ? Thanks again for any help, i am tired of driving with the hood halfway open to cool the engine!!

A20A1
09-27-2004, 04:19 PM
You mean you can see the wires from the temp switch but can't find the wires on the harness?

If you can't find the harness ones then probably someone bypassed the thermoswitch so the fans would be on with ignition.

You may have to look for a lone wire on the harness that has a connection in the middle, probably with electrical tape around it or with a bullet connector.

Although if it's not turning on the way it's hooked up now and it was working before then maybe it's a fuse or a relay.

DanG86LX
09-27-2004, 06:52 PM
..cooling fan relay is inside "under the hood fuse/relay box". As u look from the right (passenger) fender, is in the 3rd position (there a 4 sockets there, some of them empty). It should be a 4P (prong) relay.. maybe u do not have the right one there!

".. The problem is the temp switch located on the bottom of the radiator about in the middle.."

actually it is located to the right (passenger) side, the harness is coming down between radiator and the coolant reservoir.
.. unless u have A/C and then u looking at condenser temp. switch..

Super_Blue_89LX
09-28-2004, 10:58 AM
..cooling fan relay is inside "under the hood fuse/relay box". As u look from the right (passenger) fender, is in the 3rd position (there a 4 sockets there, some of them empty). It should be a 4P (prong) relay.. maybe u do not have the right one there!

".. The problem is the temp switch located on the bottom of the radiator about in the middle.."

actually it is located to the right (passenger) side, the harness is coming down between radiator and the coolant reservoir.
.. unless u have A/C and then u looking at condenser temp. switch..

That's wierd about the relay. It is for sure a 2 prong relay in the fuse box marked "fan relay" So you are saying that it is supposed to be a 4 prong relay ? this would make sense. I don't know what the guy did before i had it. The guy i bought it from was a seroius retard and didn't even know what a volt/ohm meter was! So who knows what the heck he rigged up.

The car does have a/c, perhaps i was looking at the condesnor temp switch. I'll search again for the temp switch where you suggested as soon as i can.

Thanks for the help guys, i'll keep you all posted.