PDA

View Full Version : which subs for spare titre box

mykwikcoupe
09-27-2004, 05:50 PM
Planning on putting a fiberglass box in my spare tire area in my 88 coupe. Im debating between a few choices. Use the 2 12w6s i have know, get a single 10w7 (a little too deep I think), go with a idmaxx 10 or 12, put all 3 of my jl 8w6s in there.

opinions

Another quesuion. how do you measure area of a box that has no square corners? How would i tune my box if i dont know how big it is or anything like that? Since box specsare listed in cubic inches and liters. Could i fill it up with water and keep track how many liters it used?

Another question, should i put dynamat down between the box and the steel to prevent noise escaping the car, rattles etc?

88accordalltheway
09-27-2004, 06:30 PM
IMO, it is not even worth doing that. The only thing our cars have that is actually big is the trunk. Use that space!!! Seriously, your never going to get the measurements right, it wont look good, unless your a pro, which i am taking you not. Sealing it will be a bitch. You wont be able to put anything in the middle of your trunk with out messing the speaker up. I know you want to be different, but there are other ways to do it that will be easier, you just gotta be creative, just not this creative. Pm me and ill help you out with some ideas, im going through the same delema, trying to figure out how to get the most out of my space too.

RobT5580
09-27-2004, 06:38 PM
You can make more of a square box so you dont have the tuning issues and what not. That is basically what i did along with my batter to save space. My main concern was getting rid of some weight but w/o loosing all my bass. I would like to get a 12W7 but i will have to get a new amp and make a new enclosure if i do that.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid140/p3902e577c6720ae6b9f5810fedc68ec8/f6daaf1c.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid140/p9861564a3a398b50629662261a21f78d/f6daadfa.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid140/pb78277ee88efa1d3c7b66ceb7633bfeb/f6daac86.jpg

I did this so i could crawl into the car if i ever had to when i get rear door handles put on during the body work. I dont want key holes on my doors for looks and security since they ripped a nice hole in the door of my other accord. Im pretty happy with how it came out and i have the battery under that door in the center. I still didnt finish the left side where the amps are mounted to the side. I just have to carpet the rest and its pretty much done. I would like a little more bass so i may change this later.

Good luck with your setup!

mykwikcoupe
09-27-2004, 06:58 PM
cool idea. man thats it, your packing up and moving over here. Ill pay for the costs and all. I think wed be like inseperable best buds for life man.

Ok my next idea i was pasing around was to do a battery box like you did rob with the amps mounted flush infront of that. is make 2 boxes one on either side to go behind the wheel wells. that way the trunk would be like square you know.

Question how do you get your tire to stay put. i know you dont drive that thing like miss daisy likes do you? Wanna take a pic for me with the door open to your battery box. Is there room under there for a summit poly battery box to inclose my optima inside? do you remember the specs or dimension of the box for the perfect there? I came across a used xdp-210eq of my friends or would you prefer new?

RobT5580
09-28-2004, 09:14 AM
Well i have been driving it like miss daisy since it was a stock auto a20a but not with the b20a it will be a toy. Right now its just strapped to the rear strut bar which should be good enough. I was considering making some sort of a mount but if i dont need to i will keep it clean and simple. The battery location is big enought but my dept to the top is to shallow for a box i think. I dont have a batter box and i just use an open tray from summit to hold my optima down. I suppose for track regulations i might need one but if thats the case i may need a roll cage and at that point the trunk space will change a bit.

The only suggestion i can give is take your time and plan out everything. This is the 3rd time i changed my trunk and you really have to picture/measure where everything will go. I have 2 amps, sub, cd changer, battery, all in their and it was the only design that i could come up with having open space. I want to change out the right side panels because i dont like the way the trunk hinge cut out looks but im going to wait until the body work is done since i have to pull it all out anyway.

How much for the used XDP-120eq? I might consider it depending on price and condition.