PDA

View Full Version : Best way to clean out intake manifold w/o removal

Sabz5150
09-27-2004, 08:10 PM
This thing is gunked up pretty bad. Any suggestions, or should I pull it?

DeathRat
09-27-2004, 08:15 PM
Carb or FI????

If Carb, use some Trans Fluid down the throat while letting it run.

If FI, then use "sensor-safe" Intake Cleaner down the throat instead.

smufguy
09-27-2004, 08:26 PM
ur 86 efi did not have secondary butterflies so i there is no real way of cleaning it fully. but what i would do is that i would just pop off the manifold itself. And remove the TB. and get some carb cleaner or some good cleaning or just use regular gasoline and pour it down and shake it up good and let it dry out. and then wipe it with a cloth

A20A1
09-27-2004, 11:16 PM
Find something to soak it in... heavy duty stuff.

Do it once and do it good so you'll never have to mess with it for a long time.

danronian
09-28-2004, 02:50 PM
I looked in mine a year ago when my IAT sensor failed and it was black, so I bought some Valvoline Brand TB cleaner and after that it was clean and silver inside. All I did was hold the butterfly open while the engine was off (as the can said) and sprayed all around. Every two squirts I would start the engine so it wouldn't get to awfully flooded and it really wasnt that hard at all to do. It also fixed my broken sensor somehow. I should have done it before the emissions test but oh well, it probably wouldn't have helped either way.

k-roy
09-28-2004, 03:20 PM
I say pull the bitch off, strip it down and let it sit in a bucket of parts cleaner overnight. it should come out sparkling like new in the morning.
If you clean it with it in installed there is only so much you can can get out, plus you can't actually get at it near the cylinders. You should be able to get a new intake and t/b gasket for under $10 so price should not be an issue. Its all a matter of how much work you are willing to do.