PDA

View Full Version : Power steering pump test

billyaccord
09-28-2004, 12:51 PM
My power steering doesnt work and it might be the pump, how do i test the pump t see if it works or not? And if its not the pump than what could it be?

billyaccord
09-28-2004, 12:52 PM
Its not my belt its pretty tight and moves when the engines on.

Jareds 89 LX-i
09-28-2004, 02:26 PM
Well there is a gauge that you use to measure power steering pressure, you put it inline with the high pressure line and it gives pressure and flow. It's not a cheap tool though.... one of those specialty things you get through Snap-On, Mac, etc. First things first, how's the fluid level? If it's full and the p/s still isn't working, I would first suspect something like the control valve in the p/s rack itself. There's a little control valve that sends hydraulic pressure either to the left of the piston or the right of the piston in the rack depending on which way you turn the wheel. Also check the rack and make sure the seals aren't totally blown and puffing up the dust boots (which I have seen happen before). That control valve may be stuck though, so I'd try taking the little cover off and tapping the rack where the steering shaft goes in while somebody is turning it (car running, and safely supported on jackstands). You have to remove a little black cover (3 10mm's) to get access to the rack. Tap it with a rubber mallet, or a hammer and a block of wood, something that won't crack, break, or bend it. See if that frees it up at all. If not, you could either take it to somebody and have them do a pressure test, or start out with a new rack. The p/s pumps in these cars are very very good and rarely go bad.

Also make sure all the lines and hoses from the p/s reserviour to the pump, cooler, rack, etc are free of kinks or any other forms of blockage. Is the pump whining real loud or anything?

billyaccord
09-29-2004, 10:30 AM
Thanx Jared, im assuming that yur name. That will definitly help. Im gonna do what u said right now.

billyaccord
09-30-2004, 02:02 PM
Ok i took the mud cover off and it looks like its leakinf in there. Theres a whole bunch of power steering fluid around the boot that covers the area connecting the tie rod and the rack. Its not leaking right now but it does look like it was leaking. There is power steering fluid in the system. Is there a seal or something thats under there. If so is it easy to replace?

AZmike
09-30-2004, 04:30 PM
That leak is caused by a sticking control valve or bad rack seals. Whichever is the case I would replace the rack. It's not especailly difficult, but still quite a bit of work. expect to spend about $200 total for a cheaper rack, fluid, gaskets, etc. You'll also need an alignment once you're sure it's stopped leaking.