PDA

View Full Version : Trans not downshifting?

X-Lr8
09-28-2004, 02:43 PM
:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
ok i took my car to the trans shop a few weeks ago!! its an 88 FI Auto
ok this is the second trans this guy has put in he says that when he is testing it and he comes to a stop light the car stays in 2nd. i dont really have anymore details on the problem cause im not fixing it the shop is.. but it is just annoying to have my car gone for so long and the guy thats supposed to be fixing it be stumped... he belives that rebuilding the trans again will fix it no big deal to me cause its under warrenty just inconveniant with out a car.. any ideas on what would cause it to stay in 2nd gear when he comes to a stop .. ever heard of this.. or is he jerkin me around..

thanks for your help

shepherd79
09-28-2004, 02:54 PM
sounds like who ever rebuild the tranny, didn't put it back right.
take it to a prof. transmission shop like AAMCO. http://www.aamco.com/

DanG86LX
09-28-2004, 08:22 PM
Mine is doing the same, but only when the car is cold! Well the temp. in the mornings here is ~ 5*C (40*F) so lately my A/T is doing two things:
1. it stay in 1st for like 5-10min, no mater how high rpms. I have to pull the stick to "2" and then to "D3", but if i stop (red light) i have to do it all over again! Weird enough, after the car warms up WELL, like the thermostat opens, it starts auto shifting normally 1-2-3.. in "D3". BTW the reverse is ok.
2. for another like 10min it stays in 2nd (or 3rd god knows) at stop light, so when i start moving again A/T clearly downshifts to 1st! Then for the rest of the day gets back to normal.
..and my trany wasnt rebuilt ever. But i freaked out and threw some $$$ for an A/T flush, of no avail though.

Anybody here with same problems?

AccordAddict
09-29-2004, 05:12 AM
i know my A/T used to act wierd when it was cold but when its warmed up its fine. i used to take off without letting the car warm up and the tranny would shift in and out of different gears like shifting too early or too late. but when i put my short ram intake on the bitch shifted hard as hell and theres no problems now, i dont know why. maybe it was because i reset the ecu after i put on the intake... just a guess

A20A1
09-29-2004, 10:17 AM
I hope he wasn't driving in 2

DanG86LX
09-29-2004, 12:02 PM
Found this on TSB list from ALLDATA:

ATRATB208 JAN 94 A/T - No Upshift No Line Pressure After Rebuild

1987HondaAccord
09-29-2004, 12:56 PM
sounds like who ever rebuild the tranny, didn't put it back right.
take it to a prof. transmission shop like AAMCO. http://www.aamco.com/

you could buy a 5-speed, and everything you need for half of the price you'd end up paying at aamco

DanG86LX
10-10-2004, 09:50 PM
Since i posted here my AT probs, I decided to investigate them farther, after all i wont seat&wait till trany dies, and like a good 3geez that i am i wont toss my car without a fight!
According to the shop manual there are pressure test ports from different trany valves so here are my readings:
Except for the Line test, car on stands and wheels rolling.

Port Pressure @ rpm/speed
Line 120psi @2000rpm
2nd@"2" 120psi @2000rpm
2nd@"D3,D4" 64psi @ ~20Km/h
Throttle-A 0..75psi @1000rpm
Governor 32psi @ ~60Km/h

Now i'm happy with my readings but:
1. i noticed a sluggish Governor low end. That might explain my trany stuck in 1st when cold,
2. if i brake (simulating a complete stop), trany remains in 2nd! If i pull the stick D4->N->D4 sometime it goes to 1st but most of the time goes to 2nd (i can see high 2nd clutch pressure).

So what do u guys think?

PS. and dont give me "go to 5 speed conv.", that much i know..

A20A1
10-10-2004, 09:59 PM
Where is the test port?

DanG86LX
10-11-2004, 08:48 AM
Paul's shop manual, 62se300.pdf, page 15-7.

BTW, anybody knows how much clearance needed under the car to drop the trany under there? ..and how heavy is an AT ?