PDA

View Full Version : Foglight CONCEPT

sporkHSP
09-28-2004, 06:51 PM
ok, ive debated for a while on whether or not to post this before i do it, but i'm really bored and feel like oficially announcing my intent to do this over the summer.
Here is the plan:
Im planning on mounting foglights in the triangle pieces between the headlights and the grille. the triangle pieces would have a circle cut into them, and i observed when i painted mine, appear to have enough room to hold small foglight housings. The wiring would be run to the running lights, not the headlights (so the fogs would turn on w/o the lights flipping up).
they would be mounted like this (if this is your car, i apologize, and can take it off if it bothers you):
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/434000-434999/434603_67.jpg
problems would include :
making sure the hood is not slammed, so the lights dont break
and focusing the light to the road.

blazin3gen
09-28-2004, 07:01 PM
yea focusing on the road would be good or else you'd have some angry drivers! not a bad idea though

TheSummoner101
09-28-2004, 07:18 PM
i think fog lights need to be placed low so they can perform correctly :S not sure...but nice concept idea u got.....if they were just regular lights, and not the bring fog lights, they might be a good idea :?

ps: make sure its legal to have fog lights up that high

jonrichert
09-28-2004, 07:25 PM
as far as i've heard/read most countries allow you to have a set of auxillary driving lights, if your car only has 2 lights to begin with. so you should be fine if you use a driving light beam pattern. actual fog beams are quite often illegal if used when they're not needed.

sporkHSP
09-28-2004, 08:05 PM
well the idea behind this would be to have lights that could function as driving lights with out needing the flip lights up. and i dont want the lights on the bumper either, as i plan on making a new front bumper that wouldnt allow for them.

i love flip lights, but not the idea of the increased drag, i know its a moderate amount, but i still dont like it.
and i figure it would make for a slightly different look in the front.

and as a final side note, im suprized that i have actually recieved semi positive feedback about an idea.

train
10-04-2004, 07:18 PM
i'm pro fog lights, especially since my 3g headlights don't light up the road much at all. but i think for them to be foglights, they should be mounted lower, as was said. "driving" or "city" lights would be a better term for them i think. still, i think they should be mounted lower. and should def be adjustable vertically and laterally, for obvious reasons.

88accordalltheway
10-04-2004, 08:11 PM
its going to be hard to point them down and still make it look flush with that piece. That part of the grille slopes with the contur of the car, get what im saying?

HostileJava
10-05-2004, 09:31 AM
I think it could look good, but you will have trouble aiming them down where you want to place them, not to mention the wireing is going to a pain since you'll have to run from the front of the hood all the way back, allow enough room for it to flex when you open and close it and then wire it up to the running lights with a relay.

PortugalFocus
10-05-2004, 01:56 PM
yeah wiring would be a pain if you want a remote on/off switch. If not tap in the parking light's +, and use that as the switch to the fog lights and then the power to a positive source and the negative to a negative source.

sporkHSP
10-05-2004, 04:25 PM
yeah, i have a general idea about how i would wire it and mount it. it would have to be mounted back alittle with a clear lense that sits flush with the car. the wiring would probably trough the hood supports for most of the hood and come by the hinges and into the parking light wiring.

I just need to find lights that will be small enough to fit, and bright as s**t so that i can use them with out my flip lights. If anyone has suggestions im open to hear them.

jonrichert
10-05-2004, 04:32 PM
yeah, i have a general idea about how i would wire it and mount it. it would have to be mounted back alittle with a clear lense that sits flush with the car. the wiring would probably trough the hood supports for most of the hood and come by the hinges and into the parking light wiring.

i wouldn't attach them to the hood, every time you shut the hood you'll risk breaking a bulb or throwing the lights out of alignment.

sporkHSP
10-05-2004, 04:35 PM
close gently... place it down, and push to lock, i do that anyway with the civic box, so im used to it. ill just HAVE TO do my own oilchanges now, oh well.

Not like a rock
10-09-2004, 09:50 PM
can you detach the grill from the hood and attach it to the bumper instead? Might still have the same problem cuz you'll be slamming the hood on top of it. Just a thought. I like the idea of running lights so you don't have to cruise around in the daytime with the flip ups up.

BDaccordguy
10-09-2004, 10:16 PM
another thought, running those lights through the running lights may eventually cause that circuit to short out and blow the fuse. I found this out the hard way because when i had my purple accord, i was running a set of pilot fog/driving lights through the running lights and i kept blowing that fuse, which also causes your interior lights to shut off.

sporkHSP
10-09-2004, 11:12 PM
thats why Im posting, im looking for feedback like this... any ideas on how to run these safely, even if i have to add a button to run them, thats fine, but i need alittle help on how to do it. the fabing of the lights isnt the part that seems challenging ot me, its the wiring/electrical. any help is welcome!

jonrichert
10-09-2004, 11:22 PM
i use a complete relay/switch combo for my driving lights, the lights are run directly from the battery, but the digital switch is turned on by my ignition. this is probably the safest way to wire fog/driving lights.

btw its a wiring kit made by piaa
here's a pic of my switch, the relay is mounted in the engine bay.

http://members.shaw.ca/j.richert/drivinglights4.jpg

sporkHSP
10-09-2004, 11:31 PM
how hard was it to wire that all up? cuz im definatly interested in that system

HostileJava
10-10-2004, 06:11 AM
i use a complete relay/switch combo for my driving lights, the lights are run directly from the battery, but the digital switch is turned on by my ignition. this is probably the safest way to wire fog/driving lights.

btw its a wiring kit made by piaa
here's a pic of my switch, the relay is mounted in the engine bay.

http://members.shaw.ca/j.richert/drivinglights4.jpg

Wow, at the very least, that's an interesting spot to put the foglight switch.

accordlxi2.0
10-10-2004, 09:00 AM
well imo, if they are mounted like that then those would'nt really be fog lights.

just like on the 90-95 grand prixs.
and the 6000ste.

but that's a good idea though.
it's possible too,

jonrichert
10-10-2004, 10:46 AM
Wow, at the very least, that's an interesting spot to put the foglight switch.

i thought so, i ran it up the pillar and across the vinyl trim loop up by the window, the switch's light changes to green when the lights are off.

Dr._8t9LX
10-12-2004, 04:56 PM
This made me think of something. In the 1980's, when cars with pop up lights where made into race cars, they took out the whole pop up, put plexi glass over the hole flush with body contour and then installed lighs underneath. Anyone done this to a three G?

All the new fancy lights on cars look like these race lights under plexi class from the good old days. :rockon:

sporkHSP
10-13-2004, 01:52 PM
yeah i dont like how that looks i want the car to look close to stock with the lights.