PDA

View Full Version : weird problems after engine and 5-speed swap

eyeless
09-29-2004, 12:45 PM
ok first post here ;)

i have a 89 exi 4door with a 5 speed swap and at the same time i swapped the engine too, (the a20a3 blew a rod)
all my parts come from an 88 hatchie CARBED
(i slapped the mpfi on the a20a1)

1.engine will not turn, no click , nothing!(i did jump start it , the starter IS good)
2.the ecu fuse in the engine compartment keeps on burning every time i change it no matter how big it is (even tried a 75!!)??? WTF ??
3.main relay sensor ''buzz'' when the key is on and buzzes a bit more when i try to start it ??

heeelllllpp!

shepherd79
09-29-2004, 01:01 PM
sounds like you have a short somewhere in the system.
did you replace any wirring?

eyeless
09-29-2004, 01:04 PM
yes , the positive battery cable (from the black box the the starter ...)

eyeless
09-30-2004, 10:42 AM
ok news !
engine started this morning ! yay !
but runs like "$% ! DUH !

car started even if there is no ecu/clock fuse ?!?!?
alot of black/greyish smoke is coming from the exaust , too much gas (rich) ?
and my main relay clicks only the first time , it won't click a second time a couple of seconds later
and i never saw any mpfi light before and after the swap ....

AccordEpicenter
09-30-2004, 05:01 PM
make sure you have your engine ground strap in place, and there is also one on the tranny too... Make sure your wiring/vaccuum hoses are correct for the map sensor, id check that first for your richness problem

smufguy
09-30-2004, 08:57 PM
yeah, check for the grounds on ur tranny and ur valve cover. Does the black smoke keep continuing or does it just do that for a while under idle or something? What is the condition of the old engine, ie did it sit for a long time? Also pull the main relay and resolder all the terminals on the bottom.

eyeless
10-01-2004, 05:40 AM
thx guys
i'll check for those grounds ...

dunno how to solder this relay .. one of my friends could probably do it (i read the HOW TO and i don't feel i could do it properly)

as for the engine , i don't know for how long the car sitted there ... but the engine was running good just before i started the swap. I even drove my parts car home !!! it was in modest shape : 160 000km ,burning some oil in the upper rpms (6k - 6.3k and up) so no big deal ... i paid 300 $ for both cars
i just wanna make a running winter beater :)

eyeless
10-01-2004, 05:42 AM
(sorry fot the double post)

i dunno about the smoke ... i dont' wan't let it run for a long time yet ... the car has no downpipe .. nor any intake system but i'm gonna put these on today to see if it helps ;)

thx guys
i'll check for those grounds ...

dunno how to solder this relay .. one of my friends could probably do it (i read the HOW TO and i don't feel confident about doing it myself)
as for the engine , i don't know for how long the car sitted there ... but the engine was running good just before i started the swap. I even drove my parts car home !!! it was in modest shape : 160 000km ,burning some oil in the upper rpms (6k - 6.3k and up) so no big deal ... i paid 300 $ for both cars
i just wanna make a running winter beater :)