PDA

View Full Version : Doh!!! Turn off break Light!!

Scarface
09-29-2004, 08:14 PM
A while back I was driving with some friends and I did an ebrake turn. FOr the next 3-4 days it would randomly come on and go off. Now for the last 2 months the brake light has remained on plus the damn light thats shows when you have a door open has the bottom light that i think says "rear brake light" is also on. I finally have a day off to look at the situation tomorrow. I just wanted to see if anyone has had this problem before. I was thinking that it could be a blown fuse?....but i dunno :sad2: Thanks for your help

3gn86lxi
09-29-2004, 09:10 PM
Did you check the brake fluid?? Start simple first, then work up to the hard stuff.

NXRacer
09-29-2004, 10:04 PM
sounds like you f-ed up the switch that turns on when you pull the handle.

Mac
09-30-2004, 03:06 PM
The "Brake" light could very well be low fluid level. And the "Rear brake light" usually means you have a burnt out rear brake light. Don't forget to check the high mount brake light too.

night
09-30-2004, 04:09 PM
if you brake fluid is low you most likely need new pads. dont just blindly fill it up. that is a huge pet peeve of mine

buds302
10-06-2004, 04:18 AM
must be nice to do an e-brake turn. i havent been able to do it in 3 years. iv been through 4 3geez in 3 years and when i buy em they wont do it. ive done it all, from changing the shoes to bleeding to adjusting and everything. it just wont do it. this past 3gee i bought wont even hold the car stopped on level ground. but if i have the car jacked up ill step on the brake and it stops no problem. i know im ramblin but my brother will go out, spend 300 bucks on a 3gee and it does it with barely any effort. idunno maybe its me? :dunno:

nswst8
10-06-2004, 04:44 AM
I'm not kidding. I was putting in the header and after the rear brake lights were on. Thinking that I had done something I started chasing wires nothing looked wrong.

So after looking at the brake pedal I noticed that there was hole in front of the plunger switch, then looking on the floor i saw a rubber bumper broke apart this what depresses the brake light switch when you release the brake pedal. Thus if there is not bumper to depress the switch the brake lights will remain on.

86LXItooFAST4me
10-06-2004, 05:37 AM
must be nice to do an e-brake turn. i havent been able to do it in 3 years. iv been through 4 3geez in 3 years and when i buy em they wont do it. ive done it all, from changing the shoes to bleeding to adjusting and everything. it just wont do it. this past 3gee i bought wont even hold the car stopped on level ground. but if i have the car jacked up ill step on the brake and it stops no problem. i know im ramblin but my brother will go out, spend 300 bucks on a 3gee and it does it with barely any effort. idunno maybe its me? :dunno:

there should be an adjuster in the eBrake line under the car. I THINK. at least there is one on every other car. you can also do a rear brake job. these two thing can fix your e-brake.

buds302
10-06-2004, 06:48 AM
dude i know about the adjuster and ive tried it. ive adjusted it till i cant turn the tire even with a lug wrench. after i set the car down it holds until i start the car, step on the brake and then pull the e-brake and nothing

86LXItooFAST4me
10-06-2004, 06:50 AM
what shape are your drums and shoes in?

buds302
10-06-2004, 06:55 AM
ive been down this road too many times to count, this past winter my rear brakes locked up. first time thats ever happened. after that i did a brake job(shoes springs clips pins adjuster e-brake cableand drums) still got nuthin

86LXItooFAST4me
10-06-2004, 07:05 AM
you made all the adjustment in the shoes and ebrake line? thats wierd, is there any slack in the ebrake line when you have it off?

HostileJava
10-06-2004, 07:10 AM
I'm not kidding. I was putting in the header and after the rear brake lights were on. Thinking that I had done something I started chasing wires nothing looked wrong.

So after looking at the brake pedal I noticed that there was hole in front of the plunger switch, then looking on the floor i saw a rubber bumper broke apart this what depresses the brake light switch when you release the brake pedal. Thus if there is not bumper to depress the switch the brake lights will remain on.

Not only that, but cruise control won't engage when you hit the button if that stopper isn't there hitting the sensor.

buds302
10-06-2004, 07:16 AM
ill pull the e brake and itll get real tight after 4 or 5 clicks but the car wont stop rolling

86LXItooFAST4me
10-06-2004, 07:20 AM
is it hard pulling on the handle? or easy? i bet your e-line is seized up some where or even broken. have you tried soaking the line with PB blaster or WD40?

buds302
10-06-2004, 07:24 AM
now that you mentioned it. i blew a tire about the same time i changed everything (about 3 days)and the tire got all wrapped up in the wheel well. when i changed it i noticed the line looked a little funny but didnt care because the e-brake didnt work anyway.