PDA

View Full Version : Installed header and now car runs like crap

buds302
09-30-2004, 10:00 AM
somebody help me! i got an 89 accord lxi. i just installed pacesetter headers(i know dont tell me thats the problem)but the car runs like crap from idle to 3500rpm. after that its like i hit the nos button or something. it just takes off. it feels like its missing but i checked the timing and the light is a steady strobe. now when i start it up and take off ill run through 3 gears and then it will start running rough until it warms up and after about a 1/2 hours driving it will be fine. i replaced both oxy sensors and it didnt help. it never did this untill i put on new headers somebody tell me whats up, because the headers definatly help the 3500-6200rpm scale and id like to keep it that way i just dont want to take forever to get there. :dunno:

maka_RTH
09-30-2004, 10:04 AM
i'm not sure if this is it.., but did you switch the oxygen sensor hookups? i think i remember hearing of someone switching the plugs on the o2 sensors, and it ran like crap until they switched them back... i could be wrong though.

NXRacer
09-30-2004, 10:17 AM
did you connect the EGR pipe and all that good stuff?? I'm throwing an EGR code and mine runs the same way.

nswst8
09-30-2004, 05:13 PM
Replace if you can't remember when they were last changed. I hand the pacesetter and it did the same thing. Great power after the engine light came on.
But then I threw the Pacesetter away it squealed like a Banshee.

Justin86
09-30-2004, 09:15 PM
and I'm guessing you pluged the other fitting on the side. You might have hit something on accident and disconnected it?

buds302
10-01-2004, 04:03 AM
my engine code says its the main oxy sensor but i just replaced them a week ago. now as for plugging the egr tube. as all of you may know the 88-89 lxi has only 1 egr tube. the headers have two holes. i went to lowes and bought a bolt and about 7 washers and welded it in there to plug it up. now i will try the switching of the plugs and see what happens. if that dont work i dont know what else to try. im a pretty good mechanic when it comes to my car ive had it for two years and have torn apart many accords before. but this ones got me. i dont know what to do.

SteveDX89
10-01-2004, 05:13 AM
Switch the o2 sensors. You'll be fine after that.

buds302
10-03-2004, 12:09 PM
switchin the plugs worked thanx. anybody know where i can get a 5 speed rebuild kit or a new (not rebuilt) new 5 speed for cheap.mine has issues.

bobafett
10-03-2004, 07:05 PM
just FYI (for others who may be wondering) the second hole that you are not using on that header is for emissions on carbed accords.

88accordalltheway
10-03-2004, 08:27 PM
man, i wish i would have seen this thread earlier, the first thing that came to my mind when i saw this thread was, 'wow, maybe of he only installed one header instead of headers(more than one) it would be running better' :kekeke: :uh: just playin man

Noid
10-06-2004, 10:05 AM
anyone have any pics of what goes where. I just bought my 86 Lxi Sedan with no exhaust. I've got the pacesetters header. Looking for a cat and catback. Any way when installing the header I notice the extra connections and quit. I'm no mechanic and this is basically my learning car. I didn't want to try to rig a plug with my in-experience.

buds302
10-07-2004, 02:26 AM
which extra connections did you mean

buds302
10-07-2004, 02:27 AM
on an 86 the only extra connection should be the oxy sensor

A20A1
10-07-2004, 03:04 AM
does this help at all?
HEADER Frequently Asked Questions Thread (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=37261)

Noid
10-14-2004, 09:21 AM
I read the FAQs. Doesn't say anything about pluging the extra connections. Are there plugs that i can buy from an automotive store or do I have to make something?

mephi
10-21-2004, 12:20 AM
I'm about to do the same thing with my '87 LXi. From what I've gathered, just screw in your O2 sensor and EGR hose, and block the other two holes...newer model accords have 2 O2 sensors and the other hole is for a different EGR hose or something.

buds302
10-21-2004, 09:34 AM
I read the FAQs. Doesn't say anything about pluging the extra connections. Are there plugs that i can buy from an automotive store or do I have to make something?
dude you live in dc sweet. alright back to your question. firs things first you or somebody you know has to have good welding experience or it wont work. i took my headers to lowes and found GRADE 8 washers and a bolt just long enough to fill up the hole. now when i say washers i dont mean 2 or three. i mean enough to fill the hole. ater you get that take one washer and put the bolt through it and weld around the head of the bolt make sure not to leave any gaps or holes as this will promote leaks.now put the washers in the hole you need to plug. make sure the washers are one size smaller than the hole. i didnt and i had to pound the shit out of it to get it all the way in.then put the bolt in and weld around the outside edge of the washer. make sure to protect the header from splatter. if any more ques pm me

buds302
10-21-2004, 09:38 AM
I'm about to do the same thing with my '87 LXi. From what I've gathered, just screw in your O2 sensor and EGR hose, and block the other two holes...newer model accords have 2 O2 sensors and the other hole is for a different EGR hose or something.
dude you are right. the other egr hole is for carbed accords and 86-87 lxi you should have two as well. if not then you dont have an orig engine. but you should only have one oxy sensor