PDA

View Full Version : help with spending $900

sxy86accord1
09-30-2004, 04:14 PM
Ok.. Thanks to my f-ing school.. I am going to be getting a bigger loan refund than i thought.. So now i have several options on how to spend my refund check.. I would like to ask yalls opinions on what i should do..

1) I can get the xenon bodykit.. My problem would be having to ride around with it not painted.. or maybe primered black or something..

2)I can lower it about an 1.5" to 2" or so.. done properly ofcourse

3)fix my messed up air conditioner.. and get some window tint..

4)any other suggestion you might have to make my car any kind better.. i am open for any suggestions..

Please reference to my web page for a look at my car.. http://www.cardomain.com/id/sxy86accord1

Thank You for any help you will be able to give me..

Justin86
09-30-2004, 04:31 PM
I'd say use it for someone more performace wise stuff, suspension and engine. Nothing that stands out like a unpainted body kit.

88accordhb
09-30-2004, 08:56 PM
wrong rims on the wrong car. give the 900 to me. hahahha jp. well uhhh since you have big rims, you should drop it a lil. and yah, maybe get cai and exhaust. something like that.

edit bout exhaust and intake.

jonrichert
09-30-2004, 09:34 PM
hookers and booze.

Klue
10-01-2004, 02:57 AM
Intake and exaust, like 88 said, dont get the kit unless u can paint it right away Good luck

SteveDX89
10-01-2004, 03:08 AM
hookers and booze.

Agreed!

shepherd79
10-01-2004, 03:54 AM
it all depends what you want. if you want looks, lower it and save money for rims.
if you want performance, spend money on CAI, exhaust, cam and ignition.

HostileJava
10-01-2004, 04:17 AM
Personally, I'd lower and tint it and then put whatever I have left into performance.

PortugalFocus
10-01-2004, 04:45 AM
yeah i'm with jim on this one. Lower it and tint the biotch out.

SteveDX89
10-01-2004, 05:11 AM
Mmmmmm. Tint. I want that.

sxy86accord1
10-01-2004, 06:32 AM
hookers and booze huh? I might have to consider that one.. lol.. i already have exhaust.. are yall suggesting that i need to get a different kind? Thanks for all of yalls opinions..

88accordhb: What kind of intake do you recommend i get.. or make? I really want an intake.. But i have a weak engine as it is.. i wanna wait on the performance parts til i get a bigger engine..

HostileJava: By the time i lowered it.. I wouldnt have enough $$ to tint it.. Is there a way you would recommend i lower it?

HostileJava
10-01-2004, 06:59 AM
hookers and booze huh? I might have to consider that one.. lol.. i already have exhaust.. are yall suggesting that i need to get a different kind? Thanks for all of yalls opinions..

88accordhb: What kind of intake do you recommend i get.. or make? I really want an intake.. But i have a weak engine as it is.. i wanna wait on the performance parts til i get a bigger engine..

HostileJava: By the time i lowered it.. I wouldnt have enough $$ to tint it.. Is there a way you would recommend i lower it?

Really depends on what your after, do you just want to lower it, or are you really into spending alot on making it handle well?

88accordhb
10-01-2004, 07:41 AM

that's why i said edit on the intake and exhaust. seems you already have exhaust. and since you have a carbed a20. don't even bother with intake. it's a slow ass motor. just go with your appearance. like jim said, tint it and wat not. lower it. OR!!! you can do the efi swap. that would be neato.

carotman
10-01-2004, 08:05 AM
yeah, EFI swap or a webber carb!

NXRacer
10-01-2004, 08:07 AM
since it looks like you're going all show-no go (chrome rimz) get yourself some civic coilovers and window tint. You could do both with 900 bucks.

Mike's89AccordLX
10-01-2004, 08:11 AM
No he probably couldn't do both with $900 b/c I'm sure he will pay someone else to do the easy job. And I'm sure they will find something else wrong with the car and make him spend more and more. I have to agree those rims don't look that good on an accord, but it's your car so if you want it that way :barf:

HostileJava
10-01-2004, 08:26 AM
I was assuming you'd do the install yourself, but yeah, you could save yourself some bux, if you do the springs and/or struts yourself.

sxy86accord1
10-01-2004, 08:32 AM
Yea.. The rims were a hasty decision.. I would much rather have different ones now.. But i have them now.. so i might as well use them.. I was just told i could paint my car black.. So that is an option to..

HostileJava: I want to lower it enough to get rid of the tire gap.. But i also want it to handle good to.. I go to school in hattiesburg(crappy roads).. So that is a must..

88accordhb: can you explain the efi swap for me? Would there be a point in doing this if i was gonna do an engine swap later on?

NXRacer: I will be installing the coilovers with a friend of mine.. So i prob wont worry much about install costs.. what kind of civic coilovers are you recommending?

HostileJava
10-01-2004, 08:33 AM
I'd look for a decent set of used springs and get some new stiffer struts. The efi swap makes sense if you're going to be putting a b or somthing else in later, you're going to have to do it anway.

sxy86accord1
10-01-2004, 08:44 AM
what kind of used springs? Where would i find the struts?

HostileJava
10-01-2004, 09:09 AM
what kind of used springs? Where would i find the struts?

Here is a list of spring brands and there stiffness over stock:

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=7856

To find used ones check in the market place or on ebay. You can also get newer ones for fairly cheap. As for struts, check ebay as well and also most wheel and tire places sell them.

sxy86accord1
10-01-2004, 09:15 AM
thanks hostilejave.. Do you think the H&R's would be good enough to get rid of the gap and handle good enough on the crappy roads here? And I would just walk into a tire and wheel place and ask them for some struts?

SrvZro
10-01-2004, 10:49 PM
Well, for $477 bucks, thats tax & shipping, you could get a set of Tokicos and neuspeed springs (similar drop to H&R) from Shox.com (http://www.shox.com) and still have plenty left over to pay someone to install them and possibly get tint.

Vanilla Sky
10-01-2004, 11:12 PM
personally, i'd paint the car and get new signal lenses... if you have anything left over after that, tint...

keruhas184
10-01-2004, 11:13 PM
since you have a carbed a20. don't even bother with intake. it's a slow ass motor.

Hey! No carb bashing! I got an intake on a stock carb and it does help. Civic adapter is the way to go for carb people... or flip the lid is you're too lazy.

88Accord-DX
10-01-2004, 11:23 PM
The lower your car (2 1/2") or more, the more $$ is will cost you. Paint and tint is always a nice addition. Working to do the same to my car, but don't have the time. Well, I'm painting my car next weekend. Lowering part will have to wait for next year. Paid $75 for back window tint. Paint cost me about $350 to do it myself (acrylic/ urethane), Koni adjustable struts cost me $275 because they don't make them anymore. Springs cost me $40 shipped (should be $90) Lude arms $58 shipped. Still have to buy camber kit for lude arms (about $68). So.... depending on how you want it done, it could run you some serious cash if you pay to have stuff done. I'm doing everything myself, except tinting the windows. Another words, $900 can get eat up pretty quick when lowering, tinting, and painting a car. :ugh:

sxy86accord1
10-02-2004, 08:16 AM
keruhas184: How low is your car dropped in your pics? is it the 1.5" drop? How does it handle?

Vanilla Sky: Thanks, I was thinking about doing that to.. But I would have to get someone else to paint it for me.. and that gets to be very expensive.. I really do want to switch out my signal lights though

Srvzro: Thanks for the link.. I will definitly use it when the time comes.. Do you have any pics with the drop on it?

keruhas184
10-02-2004, 09:10 AM
Yeah, the drop is 1.5". But the pics were taken before the springs have settled. Look at Vinny's car, he has the same springs - that's what the drop will look like when it settles. The handling is great on those springs. It would be even better if I had better struts.

sxy86accord1
10-02-2004, 09:14 AM
ok.. I gotcha.. What kind of struts did you get? What kind should you have gotten?

keruhas184
10-02-2004, 09:51 AM
I have tokico blues all around. A better choice would be a least Konis up front. Look in the suspension section, this issue has been talked over too many times. http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=11093 is a good place to start. Also, if you're going to slam it, don't forget about camber correction. You would need lude arms or camber kits to keep your wheels from premature balding.

sxy86accord1
10-02-2004, 10:20 AM
ok. thanks.. I dont wanna slam it due to the crappy roads around here.. but I do wanna get rid of the space above my tires and give my car a more aggresive look.. I think i might just go with the ground control coil-over kit.. That way i will be able to adjust it to the height i want.. is the shortcut telling me that if i get the coilovers i will need to get revalved bilesteins or konis? If not please explain.. I dont fully understand and I dont wanna get it wrong.. Thanks..

keruhas184
10-02-2004, 12:16 PM
Yes, you need a stiff strut to control a stiff coilover. But those struts cost $$. The point is that if you're going to do your suspension, do it right the first time...

88accordhb
10-02-2004, 05:07 PM
efi gives you more option yes. plus you wont want carb anyways, it's stupid. efi allows you to do a swap in the future or very possible turbo the a20 you already have, which is one of the neatest thing we can do to our sad little motors.

SrvZro
10-02-2004, 05:19 PM
I haven't had a chance to install them yet. I've been having to repair crap that needs fixing and not able to do what i want. They are sitting in my garage right next to the rear disc swap that I got planned. So the pics .... will have to wait.

Konis for the front are the better setup. That is if you can find them. Koni stopped making them a few years ago. I've searched high and low and couldn't find any. Revalved Bliestens are expensive and would push you over your limit real quick. Besides, if you still have your original shocks and sturts, going to tokicos all around will give you a much better ride than what you got now.

keruhas184
10-02-2004, 05:41 PM
Besides, if you still have your original shocks and sturts, going to tokicos all around will give you a much better ride than what you got now.

^^ Amen to that. You may be able to get Konis if nobody took them yet: http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=38417

sxy86accord1
10-02-2004, 09:15 PM
ok.. thanks for the info.. i will make a decision and post some pics when i get done.. I might go the retarded way and fix my A/C and get some tint.. I am tired of sweating riding down the road.. But no matter what i do i will for sure take pics of it.. Thanks again for all of your help.. Without yall i wouldnt know what to do..