PDA

View Full Version : To crank or not to crank??

kennycm
07-26-2002, 06:45 AM
My car takes about 15 seconds of attempting to turn over before it finally cranks. I believe that the alternator is good because when I start it and disconnect the battery, it keeps running. (Someone told me that's how u test it) I also bought a new battery but one of my friends said that I have a cheap battery. (you know, the wal-mart brand, ever........something...........) He told me that i should get a battery like die hard or interstate or something like that. Will that fix my problem? Also, when I drive for a long time, like for 2 hours, it seems like that battery dies and that it won't even attempt to crank until I get a jump.

A20A1
08-05-2002, 07:45 PM
Man I have Everready... from wal-mart.. it doesn't let me down. make sure the wires on the alternator are hooked up good and tight.

YK86
08-05-2002, 08:03 PM
I too have an Eveready from Walmart and no problems after three years. Check all connections and wires (not frayed, no corrosion, etc) and the belt tension. If everything looks good, it might be your alt. Another thing to check is your main relay.

dXsquared
08-06-2002, 03:22 PM
he said that when he drives for 2 hour the battery dies. thats cuz the alternator is putting out very low voltage to the battery. if you start the car and then remove the batery and drive until it dies, it wont take long. check all conections and get ur alternator checked. thats what i think it is. PS wal mart batterys are the bomb. they are cheap and they have awesome warenties! thats not ur problem dude. its the alternator
Travis

SteveDX89
08-06-2002, 03:27 PM
Wal-Mart battery in mine since I owned it a year ago. Never a problem.

kennycm
08-07-2002, 06:34 AM
Thanks Hatchback, I'll try to get a new alternator and see if that solves the problem.