PDA

View Full Version : Power steering Prob 2

dub88acc
10-02-2004, 09:10 AM
I posted it before, but none of the suggestions worked. But anyways my steering wheel has gotten worse. Every time I turn it locks up. Then you have to jerk it really hard to loosen it up again. What can be wrong?

Though it all started when I had put the wrong power steering fluid on my car. But now its doing more than ever. What may be the problem? I need to get this fixed quick, since I almost got in an accident. Some people tell me its the tie rods but I don't know.

Bryan
10-02-2004, 09:20 AM
You're problem could be that you put the wrong power steering fluid in your car....You solved the mystery yourself. I have no idea how to fix it though...Maybe drain it and put the right stuff in and hope for the best?

dub88acc
10-02-2004, 09:50 AM
I did drain it, and out the honda power steering, but the problem got worse. Now it just locks up out of a turn.

SHURIK
10-02-2004, 01:03 PM
its the botom rack gear or the sterring gear honda powerstering fluid is the same as most and u can put anything u want in thier even atf my first accord had a bad steering leak and i ran atf in thier for 2 years never a problem its ur rack thier are 2 gears one sits on the botom its a long bolt with a part notcht out and a round gear the conects to ur steering shaft if ither of those gears are missing teath it will lock up like a bitch and can compleatly jam and my qetion would be did u ever hit a curb and dose it stick on left turns right turns or both but my guess is its the rack gears thier ft up and thay jam up and also dont drive cause u can have a bad accsident if ur stering jams

dub88acc
10-02-2004, 03:09 PM
It jams up in bothe directions, right and left. I never hit a curb hard before but I don't know exactly how the problem went to the power steering to the rack gear as u say. Around how much would fixing them come out to?

possum
10-02-2004, 03:56 PM
I've had a similar problem and today drained the tank and pump. I refilled with fresh honda fluid. I used some cheap crap a couple of years ago when I replaced the engine. It foamed last winter and occassionaly locked up. I am hoping for the best.

You will notice nearly all power steering fluid says "not for hondas".

dub88acc
10-02-2004, 08:31 PM
yeah I forgot that little detail. Now my mom says that I am payin for the consequences since she told me a wgile back, only out honda PS