PDA

View Full Version : Axle-Tranny problems

SavageG
10-02-2004, 07:34 PM
On the 29th I broke my front engine mount (the one right in front of the radiator) I had it towed into the shop the next day and had the engine mount replaced. I also had them replace the right axle since its had been making some noise.
Today I picked up my car and drove it home. Right before I got home I started smelling tranny fluid while going through some curves. When I got home (1/4 mile) I saw a large stream or tranny fluid pouring. It looks like the LEFT axle has come out of the transmission about 3/16."
Do you think that this is from the work on the right axle or the engine mount breaking? :dunno: It was not leaking when I had the car taken in and I had a complete inspection done before they did any work.

mag_pbg
10-02-2004, 07:41 PM
do you mean that the inner joint is 3/16 away from the tranny if so that is normal, did your tranny fluid bolt come loose, and maybe pour out of there¿ There could alos be a broke seal on the inside of the tranny where the axles snapp into.

SHURIK
10-02-2004, 08:24 PM
u have a auto trany the cv joint thay put in is from a 5 spd and the longer inershaft pusht out ur left cv i got cvs off e bay turns out thay wer foe a 5 spd cause i had a same problem while i put one on in the other side came out go to the shop damand that thay tow the car back and have them put a auto cv in insted of a 5spd

SavageG
10-02-2004, 08:59 PM
I do have a 5 speed not an auto, but is's not the orignag tranny. This one is less than a month old, completly rebuilt out of a 87' Lxi.
The left spline is defenitly out about 3/16 farther than it has been, you can see the line where it had been sealed. I have the car up on stands so I can see everything fairly well. Did the shafts change for the 87' at all?
also.. my house is about 65 miles from the shop, it only started to leak after I went through a series of tight curves right before my house. :dunno:

maka_RTH
10-02-2004, 11:53 PM
just push it back in. worse comes to worse, it may need a new spring-clip thingy(whatever the technical name may be) on the end. but you should be fine just pushing it back in.

*edit: make sure you refill it with fluid before you go anywhere though ;)

88Accord-DX
10-03-2004, 12:10 AM
I'm pretty sure the technical name your looking for is called a "snap ring". It slides in a groove on the shaft and takes a special tool to remove it. I'm not a tranny tech, but work on cars ALOT.

SavageG
10-03-2004, 11:35 AM
I tried puting the axle back in place this morning, but it won't move in or out at all. I am going to take it back to the shop on a trailer today, hopefully they won't bitch to much about fixing it.

accordlxi2.0
10-03-2004, 11:39 AM
it's under what you asked them to work on so it should'nt be no problem . . . . .

HostileJava
10-03-2004, 11:42 AM
I can't believe that if they took it on a test drive they didn't see any leakage after parking it. You can't just push it back on though, u need to pull it out a bit and pop it in. Could be the snap ring.

SavageG
10-03-2004, 03:45 PM
Fixed!! The damn thing is back together. I had to pull the whole axle out before it would go back in :mad: Anyway, I still don't know why it wouldn't seat before but it went in fine after I cleaned it up and greased it again. Remember!! Firestone not only has bad tires but bad mechanics too!

HostileJava
10-03-2004, 04:34 PM
I figured that's what you were going to have to do. Glad you got it fixed.