PDA

View Full Version : few q's over shaved head

mag_pbg
10-02-2004, 07:56 PM
Before I send my head into the shop, I have a few questions mostly all pertaining to getting shaved. I know our max service hieght is like 89.6 mm, so should I go ahead and shave it to that and what kind of compression im I looking at with that, I know it won't do anything big but still would like to know. I have heard that if they don't put some kinda of seal over the head gasket that if you have a shaved head that you will blow a head. and one last thing, if it gives me higher compression, is that going to make my car over heat, my fans work and I have no thermostat.

mag_pbg
10-03-2004, 08:17 PM
so nobody has any infoż

smufguy
10-03-2004, 08:28 PM
Last thing i saw was the service limit was 89.8mm and stock head height was 90mm. Also, there will be no compression change upuntil the service limit. but i would recommend that u use ur thermostat dude.

as far as blowing the headgasket, i dont know anything about that and i dotn see a reason why it would do so.

night
10-03-2004, 09:06 PM
you can calc the cr increase as roughly 2-3 tenths per .010 taken off, but ive never seen a number for the chamber volume on these.
and with an adj gear, u advance 1 degree for every .012 removed.

PhydeauX
10-04-2004, 09:44 AM
My head has been shaved a bit, trying to remember how much, pretty sure it was the limit. Maybe sean will see this thread and chime in with how much. The compression is up to 10.2:1 with 88 lxi pistons iirc. Not many miles on it yet and I can't say if it made any diference since a few other things were done to the head (ahem, aprox 100cfm increace in flow) while it was off.

andy

mag_pbg
10-14-2004, 05:31 AM
Well I got my head back today, they ground off, .14mm resurfaced the valves, put in new valve seals, and did a 3 angle vavle job!! I won't know how it runs will I get my new cam and the new head gasket and find the time to put it all in.

mag_pbg
10-14-2004, 08:05 PM
It seems as though this is turning into a bigger progect then what I thought it would be, I guess I have decided to do everything right and spend the money to replace alot of stuff so here is my list so far:
Head Gasket
Valve Cover Gasket
Intake Manifold Gasket
PCV Valve
Thermostat
Water Pump
O2 Sensor
Fuel Filter
Exhaust Manifold Gasket
Add any thing if you can think of it.

Strugglebucket
10-15-2004, 01:53 AM
timing belt
front crank seal
cam seal
3 seals on top of valve cover
egr gasket
injector o-rings
oil jet o-ring

...all i can think of for now.

mag_pbg
10-15-2004, 04:29 AM
Thanx Strugglebucket, i allready replaced the timing belt so that is good and the vavle cover comes with the grommets for the top of the valve cover, but I deffent;y need the injector o-rings and the cam seals lol.

smufguy
10-15-2004, 05:49 AM
how much does this head flow again?

PhydeauX
10-15-2004, 07:31 AM
A good head kit should come with all the seals you need.

andy

mag_pbg
10-15-2004, 08:36 AM
smufguy, im not sure, I forget to ask, all the guy told me was that they took .14mm off the head and it gained me 2cc, which I have no idea what that means. Phydeaux, it would be cheaper to buy everything individually from autozone then to buy a head kit, plus I still need some other stuff to get it running right. Does anybody know how hard it is going ot be to retime the motor, I would think it would be easy to do the bottom end since I can just rotate it till the #1 piston is at TDC, but what about the cam, can I just put the new cam shaft on and rocker arm as. on and rotate it till it is at TDC and slap it on there, I know I will have to retime the distributor, or will Iż

SteveDX89
10-15-2004, 08:53 AM
Put #1 piston at TDC. Put the cam at TDC position. Put the timing belt on. Done.

smufguy
10-15-2004, 12:21 PM
2cc in what? displacement, if thats what they were trying to say, then to me it makes no sense. U dont get more displacement by taking material off from the head. If he meant to say 2cfm. then i guess it was just a standard head port and polish with a standard valvejob. I don tknow how much you paid for it, but i hope u did nto pay like 300 bux cause then it would suck. how much lift and duration are u getting on the cam shaft? and the valves u got on the head, is that oversized or just stock replacement? you could have used the stock carb exhaust valves if u replaced the with stock. But anyway, i wanna know how this thing runs or even see how much it flowed on the flow bench. If you could ask the guys how much it flowed under what lift, it would be great.

mag_pbg
10-15-2004, 12:35 PM
I have no idea what he ment with the 2cc, but it better not be just a increase of flow of 2cc. But it wasn't a p&p job, I just had them shave it, put new valve seals in and a 3 angle valve job. No I didn't pay $300 lol, i only paid $170, ya I just used stock replacement, I couldn't find anything as far as valves and vavle springs or maybe I didn't look hard enough, but it isn't even on the car yet, it will still be like a month or so before I get the cam, and all the gaskets ect. and find time from work and school to put it on. I will try and post some pics. of the head here pretty soon if I can remember how to do it and what size pic. is the limit.

mag_pbg
10-15-2004, 12:47 PM
I have searched, but how can you post a pic! It is on my hard drive!

mag_pbg
10-15-2004, 01:00 PM
:pc: :mad: :burn: Howe do you post fing pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need some help please, how do I get the pics. from my hard drive to the god damn website!

mag_pbg
10-15-2004, 01:07 PM
http://www.msnusers.com/93f1aa4sn5domidgm2drhla961/Documents/Pictures%2FDSCF0006.JPG
Thats a pic of the head, and intake manifold, I port matched the intake manifold, and painted it, the cam is the old one still havn't ordered my new one.http://www.msnusers.com/93f1aa4sn5domidgm2drhla961/Documents/Pictures%2Fzach%20003.jpg
And here is a pic of the bowl.

Immeraufdemhund
10-15-2004, 01:53 PM
i got 2 red x's. and my computer keeps asking me to sign up or something to msn... i think you may have did those pics wrong.

as for the head. CC's are you displacement. 1000cc is 1Liter. supposedly we have have a 2000 cc engine but it's like 1980cc or something like that. they just round up.

I can't think of anything else to add to your head. Make sure you have your timing belt seated correctly. Then with everything tightened turn the crank by hand atleast 4 times all the way around and check to make sure timing is on. Interference engines dont like to have messed up timing belts...not one bit not ever...

one last thing before you turn on your car make sure your valve lash is set. With the reground head it throws off your valve lash and causes very poor compression. I think, *BUT DOUBLE CHECK* it's .08 for the intake and .11 for the exhaust. And firing order i think *DOUBLE CHECK* is 1 - 3 - 4 - 2. do intake side first then exhaust. the service manuel states how to do it very well. Good luck

PhydeauX
10-15-2004, 03:18 PM
Its the volume of the combustion chamber he's talking about. The shaved removed 2cc. It makes for a slight bump in the compression ratio. Those numbers are right for the valve lash.

andy

night
10-15-2004, 03:42 PM
ya he ^^ beat me too it.
has anyone ever cc'd the chambers to begin with? otherwise that means jack shit

PhydeauX
10-15-2004, 08:46 PM
Sean has, and told me the numbers, but damned if I remember right now. Maybe he'll see this and chime in. I know with my shave and later LX-i pistons I'm up to 10.2:1 ish. Thats with taking it to the service limit.

andy

smufguy
10-16-2004, 08:08 AM
i know that our 1955 cc motor. But i was kinda confused when he said that the machine shop said that they gained him 2ccs by shaving the head. Anyway, YO email me the pics at [email protected] and ill host it for you.

smufguy
10-19-2004, 02:53 PM
here is mag_pbg's pics of his head. click on the pics for a larger view

http://img23.exs.cx/img23/7486/ShowLetter17.th.jpg (http://img23.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img23&image=ShowLetter17.jpg)

http://img23.exs.cx/img23/1711/ShowLetter18.th.jpg (http://img23.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img23&image=ShowLetter18.jpg)

http://img97.exs.cx/img97/9400/ShowLetter2.th.jpg (http://img97.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img97&image=ShowLetter2.jpg)

mag_pbg
10-19-2004, 05:17 PM
Thanx alot smufguy!

smufguy
10-19-2004, 06:25 PM
not a problem man. :) looks good tho. and the exhaust valve looks kinda different i dont know why.