PDA

View Full Version : blahpoo tranny filler

88accordlxcarb
10-03-2004, 04:42 PM
So i got the driveaxle back in....

Hey lets refill the transmission(MT)...

Lets see, i tried just a rachet, then a breaker bar. I snapped in half TWO 1/2 to 3/8 converters, then lets try another rachet( a little longer but cheap), snapped that one in half. OK so now, lets try putting the good rachet under the car and pushing on it with the jack....NOPE all that did was raise the tranny, and if i kept doing it screw my motor mounts. So lets think of what else.

AHH air tools, my best friends. Well lets try the butterfly impact wrench...thats a no, wont budge. Well lets try the big boy 500 ft/lbs impact wrench...well thats a no. I had to use a universal and that just screwed up the vibrations and and power to the socket. Well darn...

AHH lets try...a wench.

http://home.mindspring.com/~athaandjeffers/MVC-004F.JPG

SO i tried to attach it to my workbench

http://home.mindspring.com/~athaandjeffers/MVC-007F.JPG

And it broke off the leg of the workbench.

So lets attaching it to the towing points on the car...

http://home.mindspring.com/~athaandjeffers/MVC-003F.JPG

Yeah so thats how it sits now, pulled so tight i cant pull my one ton wench anymore.

WHAT IN THE HECK AND I SUPPOSED TO DO NOW. Goodness there has to be at least 500-600 ft/lbs of constant pressure on it. While the wench was on it, i got below the car with a sledge hammer and beat on the rachet while it was pulled, and still it didnt break loose. Also it had been soaking in PB blaster all day...

I was afraid to torch it with all the PB blaster, but if i do..will stuff catch on fire under there?

This bolt has normal threads right, not the reverse ones, which would mean ive been tightening it all day?..

smufguy
10-03-2004, 07:03 PM
you are doing it the right way, as in removing. I had no problem with mine. I used a 1/2" drive, 18" long breaker bar from Autozone and the 1/2" to 3/8" stanley adapter and it just broke loose. I dont know why you are struggling.i just Put the breaker bar in.with a 3/8" flex joint, two 1/2" drive extentions so they stuck out of the car thru the wheel well and yanked the bitch out. :sad2: worked for me for the two times i had to change the fluid.

88accordlxcarb
10-03-2004, 07:40 PM
Probably because it has not been removed in 15 years...

I seriously doubt the dealership that was screwing my aunt ever changed it. If they did, it was early on.

A20A1
10-03-2004, 10:13 PM
Are you applying the pulling force inline?
In the pics it looks like you're applying the force at an angle... if it's off at an angle then the bolt wont see the same amount of torque you think you're putting on it.

AZmike
10-03-2004, 10:23 PM
An air chisel is what it took to get mine off. Hold it at a 45 degree angle so it digs in and unscrews the bolt. Plan on replacing the bolt and washer since you’ll tear up the flange. …or you could change the oil using by removing the speed sensor.

2old_honda
10-03-2004, 10:43 PM
An air chisel is what it took to get mine off. Hold it at a 45 degree angle so it digs in and unscrews the bolt. Plan on replacing the bolt and washer since you’ll tear up the flange. …or you could change the oil using by removing the speed sensor.

Yep, same with mine. When my CV joint started going bad I tried on and off for like 3 months trying to get that bolt out (i didnt want to pull the axle until i knew i could remove the bolt) and NOTHING I did would move it. So I bought a air chisel. Right when I touched the chisel to the bolt flange it just turned the bolt right out, like it was nothing.
Go to walmart or any big box home store and get a cheap air chisel (mine was like $30 and came with 5 chisel bits) Just be careful with the chisel. Practice on some scrap metal and wood to get a feel for it, they can be pretty violent if you dont have complete control. Mine slipped off the bolt flange and I ended up taking a chunk out of the webbing on the tranny.

shepherd79
10-04-2004, 03:46 AM
I never had any problems with those bolts. they come out easy for me.

carotman
10-04-2004, 04:24 AM
Once completely draines, it holds 2 quarts I think (should check the manual)

Remove the speed sensor and add the 2 quarts from there. That's an easy solution. Besides, you still have the drainbolt working so it's not that much of a problem to use the speed sensor.

smufguy
10-04-2004, 06:00 AM
Jim (HostileJava) had the problem with his 5spd tranny leaking fluid after he swapped it and he was draining it and filling it with the speedo. His was stuck as shit. I dont know if i took it off or not.

Jean, it holds 2.5 quarts. for a 5spd

88accordlxcarb
10-04-2004, 02:55 PM
Thanks guys.

Yeah A20A1, i had it at an angle, so i put a chain between the two towing hooks and and put the wench inline, and just wenched the shit out of it. After it got to the point that i could hardly move it, it popped off. One can only think of what type of force was on that bolt...

Thanks again.

smufguy
10-04-2004, 03:42 PM
the torque on the bolt is not much. To be honest, its about a torque u can max out on a regular small 3/8" drive ratchet. it has a 33ft-lb torque on it, and thats not a lot at all.

maka_RTH
10-04-2004, 03:45 PM
except when it's siezed..., that increase the torque required to get it off by a TON

shepherd79
10-04-2004, 04:03 PM
i am glad you got that bolt out because it can be a bitch to get the speedo sensor out sometimes.

88accordlxcarb
10-04-2004, 05:48 PM
Yeah no kidding.

Thanks for all your help. :)

Its cool(i guess), i can tell my cluth engages with a LOT more like force, and it seems like it holds on better with a change in fluid. I guess this is normal, especially with compared to 200,000 mile fluid.

Now its just time TO PULL THE SPINDLE OFF AGAIN, because as a gambled the junkyard bearings are dry as poo...time to get new bearings pressed in.

Im glad i like working on my car, if not id be upset. :rockon:

Cyric_accord
10-06-2004, 11:00 AM
Wow, I flushed my tranny fluid today and all I needed was a 3/8" rachet, drain bolt came right off. And the old Z1 ATF was still clean red, like it had just been changed(No metal shavings). I know for a fact that the fluid hasn't been changed it atleast 5 years, so I added 3 new quarts of the good old (and expensive) Honda Z1 ATF

Robs89LXi
10-07-2004, 07:22 AM
Okay, get you a membership at Bally's, cut down on the fatty foods, and run a mile every night. Do that for a month, then try again. If that doesn't work, buy/rent an air chisel.