PDA

View Full Version : Reinstalling Carb

A20A1
10-05-2004, 05:57 PM
Hi Mike ! I need your help. I just finish rebuilding my restoration project 89 LX Auto but i have a couple troubles
I have a black double-wire that i think is ground but im not sure if it is.
The other missing part its a hose, i plug everything as FSM says for 88-89 AT carbs, but i have this hose that i dont know were it goes, you can take a look at the pictures below.

* on the ground double-wire i bolt it to the tranny's main gound, red circled point on picture ( again im not sure it goes here)

* the hose i leave alone since it change between 86-87 and 88-89 applications i dont know what i need to do whit that one.

A20A1
10-05-2004, 05:59 PM
#1 That ground wire goes to the Thermostat housing... look at the red circle in the picture below, it should connect to that bolt.

#2 If you mean you have an extra vacuum port onthe hard line that isn't uncommon, most times that port is plugged when it comes from the factory.

Luis 89LXi
10-05-2004, 06:11 PM
Ok i got it Mike, i'll try pluggin this port, hope it helps on idle to avoid stall on gear.

Luis

Sorry PPL we were talking about this pictures:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/Luis_89lxi/ground.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/Luis_89lxi/hose.jpg

A20A1
10-05-2004, 06:26 PM
Well leaving it open creates a vacuum leak, which causes the idle diaphragm to open the throttle, if it doesn't happen at the right time then the car will stall... if it does then the idle will continue to raise almost out of control.

Plugging the port will get rid of the vacuum leak and the idle diaphragm will behave normally.

Luis 89LXi
10-05-2004, 07:12 PM
one last question Mike, did you see that red hose on bottom rigth corner of last picture ??? came from purgue canister to back of carb, its broke from the metal tube and cannot i plug again. It will be OK if i just tap both sides ???

Luis

A20A1
10-05-2004, 10:18 PM
O . M . G
O
M
G
OMG
OMG
:D

Well that feeds into the primary venturi, it's crazy how the brass port fell out of the carb or broke rather.

You may be able to connect the hose to the port on the right side of the carb. It's located near the accel pump and just below the fuel line fitting... add a vacuum "T" and get a longer hose to connect the canister to the "T"
*Look at the pic below to see the port that you use.

Then plug the port where the hose originally connected to the carb with some metal putty.

If you choose to add a new port in place of the old one I can't help you.

A20A1
10-05-2004, 10:24 PM
one last question Mike...

Yet another reason I prefer that members create a new thread instead of PM'ing me. :D

But the main reason is that I'd like more then one meber to be able to have access to my replies... it keeps me from answereing the same question twice...
If I just reply to PM's only one person gets to see it... I think that leads to more people posting the same question over and over again... more then lack of searching.

don't worry I'mnot upset at you.

Luis 89LXi
10-06-2004, 11:23 AM
thank you, sorry about PM'ed. I'll try the 'T' for my canister hose.

Luis Z