PDA

View Full Version : Turbo boost+Abusive driving = Broken Parts

AccordEpicenter
10-06-2004, 01:46 PM
Man... i finally got under the accord to find out what all the noise was since i parked her 2 days ago when she broke somthing... so i figured id work on it today... and i found out it broke the bottom tranny mount that rests on the cross member, it broke it clean off... idk where it went i think it fell off, at least it didnt destroy the tranny case this time. Also, the clunking came from my drivers side inner cv joint punching 1.5" diameter holes in the side of it and spitting out the little wheels from the joint... Its amazing i even drove her home... at the same time i discovered that my brakes have worn completely down to the lining in the front... i think i might try aem pads now, have anybody else tried them?

accordlxi2.0
10-06-2004, 02:48 PM
which mount are you talking about the one behind the engine or under in the middle.
one thing i noticed was the brakes.
i had some $20 brakes on the 86, and i'll tell ya. i went through those in 2 month's, and after you brake hard they start to fade quickly, and they do damage to the rotor.

usally brake's like that stand behind thier word.
on my lx-i i used some premium pad's, those lasted longer than the $20 i had on the 86.

give em a shot, and hopefully you'll get the mount? fixed.

NXRacer
10-06-2004, 03:34 PM
Justin86 is using the AEM pads on his big brakes and he raves about them.

Ludi Mali
10-06-2004, 03:44 PM
i just always went with the lifetime warranty pads, it only takes like 30 mins to change the pads so why not do it for free even if you have to do it a little more often.

AZmike
10-06-2004, 04:37 PM
i just always went with the lifetime warranty pads, it only takes like 30 mins to change the pads so why not do it for free even if you have to do it a little more often.

Frequently these 'free' pads will wear your rotors much more quickly offsetting any money saved on the pads themselves. At least that's been the outcome for everyone that I've seen use them.

I've been using the AEM pads for about 18 months with no complaints. I haven't gotten them to fade yet, but never really tested them by cooking them down a long hill or run them at a track.

Sabz5150
10-06-2004, 05:08 PM
I have ceramic pads on my front and I'm impressed with em. I only had them fade once, braking hard from almost 120 MPH.

smufguy
10-06-2004, 05:41 PM
Hey Jason, That sucks bro. Hope u get the turbo problem sorted out too. Its funny u busted the middle mount out. Ur rolling on stock mounts for now right? It could have been just the bolts. THe funny thing is, the bolts that go in the seats to hold em down to the floor board are much stonger than these.

I have ceramic pads on my front and I'm impressed with em. I only had them fade once, braking hard from almost 120 MPH.

i vouch for the ceramic pads. I got em for my car, my 4g and my cousins pathfinder. They are from autozone and comes with lifetime warrenty. This thing bites man. Its about 30-40 bux depending on the make and model of the car. But god this thing bites hardddddd and stops. I need to change my new (crappy pads) pads to the ceramic one i got when i change my rotors ( got them sitting in my rear seat for about a week). and also, i need to change my pass side Inner CV boot. dammit :(

HostileJava
10-06-2004, 05:51 PM
If you need the mount I believe I have one laying around from my tranny swap. LMK.

smufguy
10-06-2004, 07:35 PM
jim i still need the heater core bro. and the bumper front supports too. Im coming down to the house i came next friday afternoon, is that cool with you?

Justin86
10-06-2004, 07:49 PM
Justin86 is using the AEM pads on his big brakes and he raves about them.
he he he yea just ask MattsAccord and 86accordLx-i. We hit an offramp at 70mph and I locked them up with ease. Caleb was behind me and could smell the fresh ruber. :D

Busted_Blue
10-06-2004, 09:25 PM
good shit...I use OEM brake pads.. :D

HostileJava
10-07-2004, 07:14 AM
jim i still need the heater core bro. and the bumper front supports too. Im coming down to the house i came next friday afternoon, is that cool with you?

Yeah, just give me a call on the cell before you come down, I'll try to start pulling all that for you.

AccordEpicenter
10-07-2004, 09:07 AM
yea it was the bottom mount under the engine... hopefully ill just get another and bolt her all together again... Last time that mount got torn off it took an ear off the tranny case but didnt destroy the tranny entirely... so its still in there. I should have swapped the tranny when i did the clutch...

Cyric_accord
10-07-2004, 11:30 AM
I don't know what's going on with my brakes. The same pads have been on there since I got the car(3 years), no squealing from the wear indicators, still brakes really well and rotor still within acceptable thickness.

smufguy
10-08-2004, 11:19 AM
I don't know what's going on with my brakes. The same pads have been on there since I got the car(3 years), no squealing from the wear indicators, still brakes really well and rotor still within acceptable thickness.

bet u got glazed. My sister's 4g braked good and everything was fine. But i can notice the car kinda make a metal on metal noice and took it apart and the pad was the same thickness as the new one i had, but it was glazed over like crazy. and because of that i threw those cheapo ones out, put in the ceramic pads i bought and also cleaned off the top layer on the disc with a softest sand paper i had. now it just sticks and i even managed to lock those tires by mistake and before they never did. great improvement.

Also i changed my rotors and pads and god, besides the break in Stink from the pads, this shit just clamps. i love em.