PDA

View Full Version : yay! Fire!!

ahbeyra
10-06-2004, 04:00 PM
Has anyone ever had their battery set on fire from the inside?(seemingly) i was at wendys and i was waiting in the drive through... then suddenly there was some smoke coming out from the hood, and it was like oh shit... and then by the time i pulled it off to the side to get into a parking space the car had major powerloss and then stalled... i ran and got fire extinguisher from the drive thru window, and popped the hood(knowing it would flare, i was at a bit of a distance) and put it out all under 2 minutes... the only things damaged were the negative battery cable, intake piping, and the battery.... oh, and the stickers on the pipe and battery. not bad, but i think before i drive it again i will run it at idle for an hour or so, just watching for any foul play. so yeah, anyone know what might have caused that? it was very very contained.

-Kelley :burn: :burn: :burn:

AZmike
10-06-2004, 04:25 PM
I knew someone that had about the same thing happen to their MR2 while they were driving. The hydrogen gas that the battery vents can cause a fire under the right conditions.

smufguy
10-06-2004, 05:56 PM
always a good thing to keep these darn batteries safe in the trunk away from unwanted engine heat. ALso, i like to get a new battery every three years. WEll, i am on my second battery now. Used to have Die Hard gold, Nice strong battery, 650 CCA. Now i got this another Gold from Autozone, 700 CCA. And once i get everything done to my car, god knows, i will be going to the red top for their amazing 1000 CCA and more. Well, why do i need it? hell who knows? :dunno:

accordlxi2.0
10-06-2004, 06:03 PM
i mean it does get hot under the hood.
i don't know if this count but i was hooking up the pioneer to take out my cd, then the battery was making like thump noises?
and it started to smoke.
i think the amp was that blown . . . . .

Moodybluesr
10-06-2004, 09:27 PM
Another reason why I only use Optima batteries...

That and I'm just pimp like that. :kekeke:

acranox
10-07-2004, 10:47 AM
"leaking" plug wires could also cause some stray sparks that could've ignited the fumes.

ahbeyra
10-07-2004, 05:16 PM
oh well, it was pretty super duper... in a shitty kinda way. yeah. gotta go

-Kelley

89AccordLX2dr
10-08-2004, 12:27 AM
1000CCA? You cranking over a combine? I think mine is about 2CCA, works fine, less amperage to make unwanted flames.

smufguy
10-08-2004, 11:24 AM
1000CCA? You cranking over a combine? I think mine is about 2CCA, works fine, less amperage to make unwanted flames.

huh?? What do u run on D cell batterirs?? Look at the top of ur battery bro and guess what ur talking about :rofl: . as you know CCA means Cold Cranking Amps. And with 2 amps in ur battery as u say, why do u see a 40Amp main fuse? Get it?

Blkblurr
10-08-2004, 11:58 AM
It sounds to me that your battery shorted out. The negative cable insulation was melted I think you said. Battery fires from Hydrogen will pop or explode, not burn. You most likely have a short in one of your cables before it goes to the fuse box. I would look for a melted wire that shorted out on the chassis due to bad insulation. Hope this helps.

89AccordLX2dr
10-08-2004, 05:06 PM
Sorry for the sarcasm. I guess some take things too seriously.

And yes, it is a D cell, retrofit, single Duracell 1.5V. Great for those cold winter mornings!

k-roy
10-08-2004, 05:22 PM
Ouch that sucks ass, good to hear you and the car came out allright.
By the way what brand was that battery?

ahbeyra
10-15-2004, 02:43 AM
It was a honda oem battery, i believe, cant be sure that its oem, but it was honda.

-Kelley