PDA

View Full Version : Amp tuning.

Imran
10-07-2004, 08:02 AM
Hey guys,
I just put in my amp, sub and reciever in, all Xplod's (I know not the best but its wat i cud afford right now.) the sub is Sony XSL121P5 its a 1200 W sub, the amp is Sony XM2165GTX, its a 1000W amp and the Head Unit is Sony CDXMP40. now i am not getting the power i would like to get out of this amp, what settings do u recommend i should change on my amp to get more power out of it.
the link is the manual for the amp, it also shows the three knobs where i cud change the settings.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect-to-external-url/ref=mt_mo_view_17667/103-9097284-5785423?path=http%3A//media-server.amazon.com/exec/drm/digital/moleproxy.cgi%3Fname%3DU29ueSBTb255IFhwbG9kIDItQ2h hbm5lbCBBbXBsaWZpZXIgWE0yMTY1R1RYIE1hbnVhbA%3D%3D% 26file%3DTUFOVUFMMDAwMDI0ODU1LnBkZg%3D%3D&append-uid=no

Thanx alot guys
really appreciate it
Imran

Vanilla Sky
10-07-2004, 09:10 AM
lemme look up the specs of it all and i'll get you an answer here in a little bit... i'm gonna go ahead and assume, though, that you gain knob is set pretty low, and that in itself would cause a lack of power... just one of those first timer things... you'll get used to setting these things up...

and by the way, x-plod stuff isn't that bad... IMO, it's better than the pioneed stuff that costs the same...

Vanilla Sky
10-07-2004, 09:32 AM
ok, first of all, have you set your amp up in a "bridged" configuration? that will be the FIRST thing you need to do... when you set that up, set the gain (similar to a volume knob, but works differently) to about half way... that should get you some pretty good output, and still not overpower the subwoofer (remember, the sub's max power may be 1200 watts, but its RMS power is only 350 watts, so watch out)...

as for the settings, here you go:

the one on the left (marked "LEVEL") needs to be straight up to begin with, and turn to the left (counterclockwise) 1/16 turn at a time until you reach the desired level

the knob in the middle (marked "LOW BOOST (40hz)") should be turned all the way left (counterclockwise)

the knob to the right (marked "filter") should be turned so that the "up" points to 110

the switch (marked with "off" and "LPF") should be switched towards "LPF"

the subwoofer needs to be wired as per the box in the instructions marked "AS MONAURAL AMPLIFIER FOR A SUBWOOFER"

if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask

Imran
10-07-2004, 09:40 AM
thanks alot man, that really helps me out. i'll change these settings. i have it in bridged config. but the settings i wasn't sure of, so i keep turning them all around all the time hehe
so thanx alot again

Vanilla Sky
10-07-2004, 10:33 AM
not a problem, that's what we're here for