PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filter Base Leaking

kotseko
10-07-2004, 08:33 AM
Finally figured out where the oil leak is coming from my 87 accord dx after doing some search here. Did the mirror trick to trail the leak and by the looks of it, I'm probably losing oil about half a quart/day. Anyway, I decided to fix it myself this weekend and I already got the gasket from the dealer. Any tips or advise will be very much appreciated on how to get to those 3 bolts especially the top one. Any special tool?

thanks!!!

shepherd79
10-07-2004, 09:27 AM
here is my tip: a lot of patience. carb accords are pain in the ass to work on. so just take it slow.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
10-07-2004, 11:30 AM
Tools: 10mm socket with medium size extension and ratchet, 24mm socket or crescent wrench for the oil pressure sender, some liquid sealant for the oil pressure sender (or teflon tape), lots of patience. It is not a hard procedure, but is in a tough area. The rubber boot over the oil pressure sender connection will probably be stuck on for good so watch out for that. After you get the oil pressure sender out, it is a piece of cake. Also, when reinstalling, put a dab of sealant on the gasket surface so it stays in place and doesn't try to fall down when you are attaching it to the engine block. Hope this helps.

kotseko
10-11-2004, 08:41 AM
SUCCESS!!!

fixed the damn leak. it was definitely the oil filter base gasket. thanks guys for all the help. it took me about an hour to change it. damn thing sure tested my patience. the oil pressure sensor was the hardest part of it. after it came off, it was a breeze from there.

THANKS AGAIN!