PDA

View Full Version : loose steering wheel

etvergara23
10-07-2004, 08:34 AM
the times i get my car aligned, it doesnt last very long. after alignment, a month later my steering begins to loosen up, and drifts to the left and sometimes to the right.

is this normal? i would assume alignments would last a bit longer than a month.

btw i dont drive on a lot of bumpy roads.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
10-07-2004, 11:34 AM
Check to make sure that your tie rod jam nuts are tight. Make sure your tie rod ends are in good condition. Check for any suspension looseness (rubber bushings, loose balljoints). If all of this checks out fine, start looking at the inner tie rods and the rack itself. My $.02

88Accord-DX
10-07-2004, 10:52 PM
Your rack and pinion could be on its' last leg. Could also be your brake calipers not working properly. Check your tie rod ends by pulling back and forth on the tire. (horizonitally) Look at all your suspension components good and look for play.

etvergara23
10-08-2004, 07:20 AM
thanks guys i will check it out later today.

Blkblurr
10-08-2004, 12:10 PM
If it's tight after a front end alignment, the mechanic is most likely tightening the yoke plug nut on the rack and pinion to take the play out of the steering. The need to do this usually means your rack and pinion gears are shot. You would need to replace the rack and pinion gear to fix this. By all means check all your suspension components as well.