PDA

View Full Version : Need help with hook up of vacuum lines coming from big black box.

bc86
10-07-2004, 09:49 PM
I just recently had my motor out, did mail rear oil seal, and tranny seal, and upon gettin it all fired up, I seem to have lost my idle. This may be for a number of reasons, one, my carb needs to be adjusted, I always have bad luck with throttle cable. And when I finally did think I had my idle workin, it was too high, low and behold, I forgot to hook up my fan wires, and my car got really warm, started smellin funny. Didnt see no oil in antifreeze, or vise versa, but i guess that doesnt mean I didnt warp the head. Tisk Tisk, Ill learn one of these days. So, what Im lookin for, is an easy to follow hookup of all the vacum lines coming from big air box. I feel I may have messed one of them up, or atleast, I just want to double check, and make sure this idle prop can be tuned out. Thx

A20A1
10-08-2004, 03:18 AM
your vacuum routing may be different... what engine do you have?
A20A1
A20A2
BS
OTHER?

If you don't have emissions testing you can use the diagram below to get rid of the black box and many other vacuum lines... though please note that the cruise controll will be disabled.
VACUUM REMOVAL DIAGRAM (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=11067)

bc86
10-08-2004, 12:03 PM
I do have emmision testing, so that wont work. How would I go about finding out the exact engine I have?? Its an 86, 4 dr, 5speed. The original owner of the car is american, but since been converted to KMs and what not.

accordlxi2.0
10-08-2004, 12:05 PM
is you accord dx lx lx-i (can't say se-i).

i have emission's testing too, but i did a partial vac. removal mod.

bc86
10-08-2004, 12:11 PM
Well, to be honest, I dont know the answer to that one either. It has an exi badge on the back, but I know its not fuel injected. It has cruise, well, it did, had ac, no power locks or anything like that. Has power steering.

bc86
10-09-2004, 01:47 PM
I traced all the lines from the box accordinly to the motor, and all #'s match, so Im guessin the problem doenst lie in that, must be something else. Havent figured out exactly what im doing, but one min it wont keep an idle, then I spend 30 min tryin to lower the idle, and nothing happens, its staying @ 1200. Seems like when I adjust the A/F screw, nothing happens.

accordlxi2.0
10-09-2004, 02:09 PM
did you try pulling the gas pedal, when the engine is warm??

A20A1
10-09-2004, 02:25 PM
The throttle cable should not be adjusted to set idle... it needs slack at idle... the throtle stop screw sets the lowest possible good idle... from 800-1000 or maybe lower if you're manual trans. Then you set the idle diaphragm / throttle contorller, this needs to be done when the car is under load from the accessories like headlight and interior ventilation fans, set the idle for the idle diaphragm to 800-1000, usually if you have auto you can set it to 1100 and that will make sure that when you are in gear the idle will drop back to 1000... but i like it at 900 when in gear. Then you turn on the a/C and adjust the a/c idle boot diaphragm so that the idle goes up to 1000 rpm
All these adjustments must be made when the car has fully warmed up.

well any a/f screw adjustment must be done when the carb is on the idle circuit... the deeper it's in the idle the more the screw will have effect... opening the throttle more will start to take the carb off the idle circuit and end up making the changes to the A/F screw less effective...

Why are you messing with the A/F anyways.

Also it's possible to have the throttle off the idle circuit and still only get a low idle... it'll probably mean the advance diaphragm isn't raising the idle and you're ideling off pure throttle. But thats kinda hard to tune the car that bad... or you could have a bad cylinder in that instance.

bc86
10-09-2004, 05:03 PM
Well, Ive just been fuckin with it for the past hour and still no luck. It was running like super shit, then I realized the A/F screw fell out, so I popped her back in. She runs really good above 1000 RPM, but when I try to lower her past that, running like shit, exaust poppin. I figured the problem of lowering my idle, for some reason, my choke screw was keepin it up there. I didnt even fuck with it. B4 I pulled the motor, everything was fine, so I cant see it being a cylinder.

Y am I messing with the A/F screw? Cuz I read a how to, and that was the first step. Adjust A/F screw to highest Rpm, then idle screw (big black one) to lowest idle, then adjust the screw on the pass side, to desired idle. How would u go about adjusting it?

Heres my concern, I should never of fuct with any of the screws, being it all worked fine b4 I pulled the motor, on initial start up, everything was fine, until my choke kicked out, and thats when it stalled, and Ive been fuckin with it ever since.

A20A1
10-09-2004, 05:47 PM
which how to?
I need to change it if it says to adjust the A/F screw first.

bc86
10-10-2004, 11:00 AM
I cant remember which one it was. Do me a fav, tell me how to adjust it properly then. I figure my car is running off the choke, cuz at a low idle, its running like shit. So I must have a vacuum line hooked up wrong or something.