PDA

View Full Version : Inspecting Timing Belt

TEXANHATCH
10-08-2004, 08:39 AM
Hi guys, I was trying to inspect the timing belt because like I told you before I bought this car a while ago and I dont know when did they change the timing belt so I was checking it out My car has like 134k miles but probably it really has 150 or 160k miles because the odometer was not accurate for a while until that I got the speed sensor bolt adjusted. Ok I took out the valve cover and it looks pretty nice everything and I took a look of the timing belt part that I can see and I see that its a GATES belt so I am sure its not the factory timing belt. Now it doesnt look new of course but I didnt see any sign of premature wear out or something like that. The teeths look good on the pulley and it looks like a thick belt. So I know to change timing belt is about $400 in a local shop so I am plannning to wait for a while. Do you think about something else that I should look for now that I have the cover open? What experience do you have with GATES timing belts?Thanks.

86LXItooFAST4me
10-08-2004, 08:51 AM
gates is one of the leading producers of belts and hoses. they offer lifetime warrenty on all there products. i favor gates actually. very very good brand. if the belt was installed right then you should have no problems.

nswst8
10-08-2004, 09:32 AM
Then you shouldn't have any problems. When a timing belt looks bad you know it.

AccordEpicenter
10-08-2004, 10:30 AM
gates made alot of the honda timing belts from the factory, but they are often marked different

accordlxi2.0
10-08-2004, 11:23 AM
hey that's the kind of t-belt my car has!

Blkblurr
10-08-2004, 12:20 PM
When I changed my timing belt at 140,000, it looked new. I could not tell the difference between the old and the new.

accordlxi2.0
10-08-2004, 12:32 PM
well i'm a little at ease since our engine's are non-interference. . . . .

AccordEpicenter
10-08-2004, 03:06 PM
well... if youre going by what honda says... they are an interference engine, but ive never seen one break anything if the belt went.

86LXItooFAST4me
10-09-2004, 04:50 AM
well... if youre going by what honda says... they are an interference engine, but ive never seen one break anything if the belt went.

hey, im glad you brought that up, i was thinking the same thing. has anyone ever seen these cars have any interference problems with a timing belt break??

88Accord-DX
10-09-2004, 06:33 AM
If you don't know the life on any timing belt, it is GOOD PRACTICE to REPLACE one with a BELT you KNOW "how many miles is on it". A timing belt that breaks can pretty much ruin your engine. If your lucky, only the valves will be ruined by the pistons hitting them. (depending on your R.P.M)

accordlxi2.0
10-09-2004, 02:35 PM
a friend of mine was showing off on his lx-i and the timing belt went.

he was bragging about oh i had the car for 200,000miles and i never changed the belt.
that belt was chewed up, worn cracked!

we changed it, it it started right up.
no damage done, and he was peeling out too! ;)

but yea you should change the timing belt.

plus read all of this :::::
http://3geez.com/showthread.php?t=35768&page=1&pp=20&highlight=interference+engine