PDA

View Full Version : Wow, bad day... I hate my car...

Hash_man_Se_i
10-08-2004, 05:42 PM
Well I went to take my car in for a wheel balance/rotate, and a simple allignment today... and i left kinda pissed!!

I went for a walk while waiting for the car, and came back kinda early to just wait, and the guy came right out with the car, so i was like WTF, that was fast... which i really didnt have a problem with...

But when i took the car in, i asked them to look at the front end, because A) its been kinda squeky and B) it kinda clunks a bit... So, the guy comes in, and tells me they didnt do the allignment cuz theres really no point.

Well, apparently my right upper ball joint is completely shot, he said he would get it done asap... and the squeeking is my shocks on their way out.

I mean this really doesn't surprise me much, but it just really pissed me off, because I don't have a job right now, and my parents are getting divorced so my mom really doesnt have any money to lend me.

Luckily the guy found some Koni's... but theyre a special order item, and are $150 US each + shipping + duties + customs + tax + install, lol... so dumb...

So i have a few other guys looking for them for me, and getting prices on new tokicos and bilsteins aswell...

End rant... Now i REALLY need a job.
:pc: :burn:

Luis 89LXi
10-08-2004, 06:14 PM
this squeeking sound could not be your shocks. i have this almost same prob on my coupe, i found was a pass side dry lower ball joint. when the car were slow moving or in park i turn the steering a bit and this "huuiii-huuuuuiiii" come as i move the steering rigth to left.

I pack of grease and this solve my problem.

accordlxi2.0
10-08-2004, 06:22 PM
yea mine's squek too, and some of the suspension parts are new too.
my 86 needed a tie-rod and a right side upper ball joint, BAD, and it lasted even through that car accident, the upper ball joint will last for a while.
the clunking is gonna get worse within a month or 2 depending on your driving.

i know how that feel's, about having a job.

89AccordLX2dr
10-08-2004, 06:52 PM
If it really does need shocks, just go to the wrecker for them. I bet it's the lower balljoint making the squeeking though. Mine squeeked and made a hella dumb noises, replaced the lowerballjoint and it's all good now.

nswst8
10-08-2004, 06:53 PM
Upper ball joint not a problem. 30 minutes tops. the only real specialty tool is a tie rod puller small one its only $9.99 at any of our autostores. But you can also just use a ballpeen hammer and rap on the knuckle once or twice.
Even a pickle fork will work on the any balljoint that is being replaced.
So with that get it done I even thinks that there are some upper control arms on ebay.

As for the shocks, it seems that you have some time at least on these.

Good luck.

Hash_man_Se_i
10-08-2004, 06:54 PM
this squeeking sound could not be your shocks. i have this almost same prob on my coupe, i found was a pass side dry lower ball joint. when the car were slow moving or in park i turn the steering a bit and this "huuiii-huuuuuiiii" come as i move the steering rigth to left.

I pack of grease and this solve my problem.

Nah, its when the suspension travels up and down, and the car gets really kinda uncontrollable over some bumps, not just bouncy... This is a pretty well known shop too, so I don't think the guy is BS'ing me... so ya.

Anyways, i really need to get a job, hopefully i can get one at one of the Honda dealerships soon.

accordlxi2.0
10-08-2004, 06:55 PM
umm homey the tie-rod was me, he has the ball joint.
i betcha that his car will last till he get's a job.

nswst8
10-08-2004, 07:05 PM
But there is a set of used Koni's on ebay less than 24 hrs.

There are multiple sets of control arms.

Hash_man_Se_i
10-09-2004, 12:47 PM
Do you have that link to ebay? im curious as to how much these are.

Luis 89LXi
10-09-2004, 01:20 PM
there you go:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7925795212&category=33590

nswst8
10-09-2004, 04:01 PM
Plus shipping not a bad deal.

possum
10-17-2004, 04:18 AM
Nah, its when the suspension travels up and down, and the car gets really kinda uncontrollable over some bumps, not just bouncy... This is a pretty well known shop too, so I don't think the guy is BS'ing me... so ya.

Anyways, i really need to get a job, hopefully i can get one at one of the Honda dealerships soon.

My car has been quite uncontrollable too. However, all regular suspension stuff is ok, no play to be found anywhere. The car is in perfect alignment except for the camber which I guess was off a little due to spring and body age.

So for 2 years I have been on a quest to resolve the handling problem. This is what I have done so far, and the order I have done it.

1) New front struts - Tokico Blues.
2) New Rear struts - Tokico Blues.
3) New Rear lower strut mount bushings - KYB OE part.
4) New Rear sway bar end link bushings- Napa OE part.
5) New Front sway bar end links - Energy Suspension.

While items 1-3 certainly improved the ride and handling, they didnt resolve the car being somewhat uncontrollable in corners and bumps. Items 4-5 made the biggest difference in handling. The car "MUCH" more controllable now.

What I found was my front sway bar end links bushings were completely wasted. The rubber was half gone. Also with one of the links removed, I could grab the sway bar move it up and down a good amount. There was a huge gap between the bar and the frame bushing. It too is worn out and must be replaced.

As for the squeaking, my car still squeaks like no tommorrow. My guess is the front upper control arm bushings are dry. I dont think its a balljoint because a squeaky balljoint would be very close to failure and start to develop play. Mine are perfectly tight.

89AccordLX2dr
10-17-2004, 10:52 AM
My lower balljoint was perfectly tight too, but dry, so it squeeked and creeked and groaned, quite embarrassing. Turn the wheel, sit on the car, get out of the car, hit a bump, or even a dip and it would squeek. Even the guy from the wrecking yard said it's not the ball joint, I dissagreed, replaced the joint and now the squeek is gone, and the steering feels smoother and doesn't grab (like it doesn't want to turn, then the joint pops free, then tightens up again, barely noticable, just from dry joint). Anyways that worked for my squeek and made the steering feel better in one shot. Not that hard of a job to do, and the new ball joint doesn't cost much, I paid $42cdn for mine. Hope this post helps someone.

truetune
10-17-2004, 01:48 PM
My car has been quite uncontrollable too. However, all regular suspension stuff is ok, no play to be found anywhere. The car is in perfect alignment except for the camber which I guess was off a little due to spring and body age.

So for 2 years I have been on a quest to resolve the handling problem. This is what I have done so far, and the order I have done it.

1) New front struts - Tokico Blues.
2) New Rear struts - Tokico Blues.
3) New Rear lower strut mount bushings - KYB OE part.
4) New Rear sway bar end link bushings- Napa OE part.
5) New Front sway bar end links - Energy Suspension.

While items 1-3 certainly improved the ride and handling, they didnt resolve the car being somewhat uncontrollable in corners and bumps. Items 4-5 made the biggest difference in handling. The car "MUCH" more controllable now.

What I found was my front sway bar end links bushings were completely wasted. The rubber was half gone. Also with one of the links removed, I could grab the sway bar move it up and down a good amount. There was a huge gap between the bar and the frame bushing. It too is worn out and must be replaced.

As for the squeaking, my car still squeaks like no tommorrow. My guess is the front upper control arm bushings are dry. I dont think its a balljoint because a squeaky balljoint would be very close to failure and start to develop play. Mine are perfectly tight.

do you have PS or did you take yours off. I took mine off and now sometimes it will feel like the wheel is just floating and the car is going where it wants, thaus could it possibly be the stering rack.

hey good luck on gettin a job and the struts should be able to make it for a lil bit longer. ball joint easy repair job takes no time at all.

Hash_man_Se_i
10-17-2004, 02:23 PM
Well I got a job on Friday at a local Chrysler dealership as a lot attendant... I don't really want to work for chrysler, but its a good job, and i get a good deal on parts too, so I should be able to get some parts pretty quick and get these things sorted out.

possum
10-19-2004, 02:01 PM
do you have PS or did you take yours off. I took mine off and now sometimes it will feel like the wheel is just floating and the car is going where it wants, thaus could it possibly be the stering rack.

My steering was a little funky.

I replaced the motor 2 years ago and used plain old generic power steering fluid when I finished things up. Every since then the steering would have occasional fits. Never freewheeling or anything, but in the winter I had no power assist until the fluid warmed up some. And it foamed. During the summer it would (on wet rainy days) lock up in parking lots when warming up.

To resolve that problem I removed the tank and pumped as much of the old fluid out as I could. Then I refilled with Honda type fluid. Haven't had any problems since and its been about a month.

A buddy of mine drove his Accord without fluid for 3 years or more. One day I noticed his tank was empty. So we topped it up and its been fine since.

AZmike
10-19-2004, 04:49 PM
ATF tends to eat one of the the seal materials used in Honda PS systems. Don't be surprised if any system that has been run without Honda fluid for an extended period eventually develeops leaks. Losing assist in the rain is likely caused by a wet belt slipping on the pulley.

Not like a rock
10-20-2004, 11:02 AM
I replaced my front struts, springs and upper control arm bushings and upper balljoints. Now that it is cold in the morning, my front suspension sqeaks like mad. I just got an alignment too, so I don't think it's the lower ball joints because they shop would have told me if they were going.

The only thing I can think of is the upper strut mount bushing. What you guys think?

Good to hear you got another job Hash Man.

89AccordLX2dr
10-20-2004, 10:05 PM
When does it squeek? When you turn the steering, or hit bumps, or bounce it, or look at it the wrong way?

88Accord-DX
10-20-2004, 10:58 PM
Hey Not like a Rock,
I looked at my car the other day, cause it sqeaks. My car is sqeaking on the lower control arm bushings. The ones that mounts to the frame. I sprayed WD-40 on it, but didn't last long before "sqeak" "sqeak" agian. Going to re-place them in time.

88Accord-DX
10-20-2004, 11:01 PM
Well, hit the wrong button. (reply instead of edit) :uh:

Was going to say, Good luck with your new job Hash Man. Need $$ to fix the wheels.

Last but not least, "Happy B-day" ! Remembered you had one not to long ago. (Libra) :rockon: - toky toke - :birthday:

blahblahblah
10-28-2004, 03:21 PM
My 89' on all stock crap(161k)...There all really REALLY bad too..I have all bad springs, all struts, all ball joints, left upper control arm, all the bushings, busted swaybar, all tie-rods, the list gos on...Its a blast to drive...The wheels have about 2"-5" of play in any way thay feel like.....But I have no sqeaks....

89AccordLX2dr
10-29-2004, 06:50 PM
So in otherwords, it's still in good condition. Fix the wear parts, and you'll be good for another 15 years! I bought mine for $1250, put a few bucks into ball joints, brakes. It's just starting to breakin. Cheap insurance, Great gas milage, Reliable. I've replaced 3 out of the 6 ball joints, and now have a forth going, I'll just do the remaining 3 at once and get it over with. All that leaves, is the stripped #1 sparkplug hole, and right clicking c/v shaft. Then be good to go until something else screws up from age. Ahh 3 geez, gotta love 'em.

Hash_man_Se_i
10-30-2004, 12:21 PM
Was going to say, Good luck with your new job Hash Man. Need $$ to fix the wheels.

Last but not least, "Happy B-day" ! Remembered you had one not to long ago. (Libra) - toky toke -

Haha thanks man... the job thing didn't last too long... it was stressing me out bad with school, and it was a shit job, so I'm done with it.

But the birthday was awesoem.... oh it's so good to be of legal age... 3 bars in 2 days = lots of birthday shots, and i was pissed! haha.. Now i just need to be 21 so i can go to the states and have some fun.

Justin86
10-31-2004, 11:22 AM
the squeak could be the upper pillar mount, mine squeak.