PDA

View Full Version : Car keeps stalling, and idling rough...

Accord_Beater
10-09-2004, 06:42 PM
Anybody know what could be wrong, or where to look first?
its an 88 accord lx, carbed engine, etc.
every now and then, it idles REALLY rough, and then idles at about 100-300 rpm and even stalls. the car has 177 000 Kms (not too sure what that is in miles, maybe just over 100,000 miles?). Any ideas on what to check or where to start looking would be a big help, thanks.

keruhas184
10-09-2004, 07:07 PM
First of all, give it some carb cleaner... it never hurts.

But here's what you may want to check: vaccuum hose leaks, PCV valve, egr valve, cooling system, fuel filters, fuel pump, loose venturies, distributor/distributor cap (check for oil), spark plugs, plug wires, o2 sensor...

For now, I would adjust the stop throttle screw to raise the idle (counter c.w) - its a black screw behind the carb.

But just use search.... I probably missed something.

A20A1
10-09-2004, 07:12 PM
check for vacuum leaks... and bad fuel filters...

Accord_Beater
10-09-2004, 07:44 PM
fuel filter was replaced, fuel pump was replaced.
plugs and wires are replaced with NGK platinum plugs, and NGK 8mm wires.
i added some carb cleaner to the gas tank.
ill have to check all that other stuff too.
ill read up on the vacuum hose, and see if maybe there's a compression problem along any of the lines.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
10-09-2004, 07:51 PM
Check the ground wire on the thermostat housing. It should be in good shape and attached to a bolt a little forward of the bleeder bolt. When I was overhauling my cooling system, the ground cable broke off. My car did the exact same things you mentioned, rough idle, low idle, stalling. Fixed the ground cable and it is once again working perfectly.

keruhas184
10-09-2004, 07:52 PM
i added some carb cleaner to the gas tank.

I'd also use a spray can to get it all over the linkage, around the carb, and inside the TB. Take a break for 20min, then start it up and spray a bit at a time inside the carb. Then rev it up for a bit...

Check the ground wire on the thermostat housing... Fixed the ground cable and it is once again working perfectly.

Yeah, check all your grounds and the battery.

A20A1
10-09-2004, 08:16 PM
carb cleaner in the gas tank will not clean the filters... if anything it will make the filters more dirty.

Replace the fuel filters if you haven't done that and open the fuel bowl and clean out the fuel bowl.

Accord_Beater
01-17-2005, 11:26 AM
Sorry to bring this back...
but the whole time, it ended up being the PCV valve was stuck open.
Now...why did it start running poorly all of a sudden.
WELL, when i had changed the old 'Clogged' air filter, the new one was letting in more air. SO, because the PCV valve was stuck open, it didnt have a problem with the old air filter because nothing was getting through that one.

Just thought maybe this would help out if anyone seems to be having similar problems.
Instead of checking the carb and all the other stuff, check the simple items first, it saves major headaches.

A20A1
01-17-2005, 11:29 AM
You mean the old filter was creating vacuum so the drop in vacuum from the stuck PCV valve wasn't noticable.
Glad you fixed it :D

Accord_Beater
01-17-2005, 11:35 AM
Ya, it was almost a piss off. But glad it was only a $3 fix :D