PDA

View Full Version : 87 lxi oil leak woes

mr_picky
10-09-2004, 08:51 PM
Hello! This is my first post so be patient! And yes I have already used the search option. Well I have an oil leak coming out right at the lower timing belt cover. So, I go and change the crank and cam oil seals and oil pan gasket. Guess what, still leaking!! My guess is the oil pump gasket is leaking. Anyone ever had this happen to your 3gee? Anyway, this is driving me nuckin futs!! I have access to a lift and pnuematic tools so working on my car is not that bad. I have also already changed the valve cover gasket, and distributor o-ring. Any suggestions?

nswst8
10-10-2004, 05:12 AM
did the two front main seals and it still leaking I would suggest replacing the oil pump seal.
But also consider the Oil Filter Base Seal this is another that is in need of replacing.
Good luck.

AZmike
10-12-2004, 10:57 AM
My Prelude is doing the same thing after the same repairs (crank, cam, and oil pan seals). I suspect the oil pump (or its seal), but haven't torn it down to take a look yet. So I guess what I'm saying is that your problem isn't too unusual. Let us know what you find.

mr_picky
10-16-2004, 07:34 PM
So today I go and buy the o-rings for the oil pump and then replace them. Cross my fingers and take the car out for a spin. Still leakin from the lower timing belt cover!!! Only thing I can think of is that I didnt put one of the damn engine seals on right. This leak is bad. It squirts out whenever you rev the engine and has gotten the best of me. Well time to have a few beers and forget about this crap for now.

nswst8
10-17-2004, 04:53 AM
When it comes to Honda I like to use Honda seals. Case in point when I did the clutch I forgot to order a rear main from honda and had to use Felpro, now I believe its weeping.
But, yes you might have to redo one of the seals
Good luck

shepherd79
10-17-2004, 05:51 AM
did you replace the front crank seal that is behind the main pulley?

mr_picky
10-17-2004, 02:39 PM
Yeah I used honda seals. And I replaced the front crank seal but did not do the rear crank seal. But, the damn thing is leaking from the front of the engine. I don't think the rear seal is leaking. Anyway, too much trouble to do the rear seal. I might try to see if somehow the oil pan gasket got twisted or something when I put it on. Don't think so cause I used gasketcinch on it.

FoX
10-23-2004, 04:13 PM
I had the same problem with mine. there is actually a weird looking seal at the base of the oil tower. it was like 4.99 for the seal at the honda place and the replacement took like 30min.

mr_picky
10-24-2004, 06:37 PM
Well that seal that is on the oil filter base is the last one that I have not replaced. So what the hell might as well replace it. Anyway, I took off the upper timing belt cover and ran the engine. The cam seal isn't leaking and the timing belt has no oil on it. So this leads me to believe that the leak isn't coming from the front crank seal either. It sure does appear that it is a crank seal leaking though. You can see oil coming out of the lower timing belt cover when you rev the engine up. Well, thanks for all you help with this!!