PDA

View Full Version : Dry bowl problem

MarioBurke
10-09-2004, 09:15 PM
having a problem fixing my brothers carbed car. The bowl is completely dry. I changed both fuel pumps, and the fuel pump. I pulled the fuel line off and turned the motor over a couple times and the nothing even came out of the hose. maybe the fuel lines are frozen over? maybe Im mistaken...does the fuel feed through the inline filter hose that plugs into the side of the carb or does it come from somewhere else? either way im lost. could use some help

thanks

oh yeah its starts up when I dump fuel into the bowl. but what it uses that up it dies immediately!

A20A1
10-09-2004, 10:19 PM
yeah it comes out from the corner of the firewall near the strut tower...

then goes to the side of the carb.

There is a fuel cut... also the fuel pump pickup needs to face a certain way to pick up fuel good.

do you hear the pump run when you attatch a 12v source directly to it?

there are some likes on the tank that aren't for fuel but are for fuel vapor... make sure the rear filter is facing the right direction as well as the front one.

thiks it's a fuse?

MarioBurke
10-09-2004, 10:49 PM
Yeah I changed the filters and made sure they were headed with arrows pointing towards the carb of course. I did not check the feul cut off. I didnt get that far. all the fuses in both boxes are good. I am doing this by myself and I was just turning the key to listen for the pump. I am not quite sure, because it was really windy. I thought i heard something, but i am not for sure. I just replaced the pump anyway. and the fuel pump can only go in one way so It should be feeding the correct way. still lost here. i have a headache!

accordlxi2.0
10-10-2004, 08:42 AM
you could check the fuel pump relay.

MarioBurke
10-10-2004, 11:30 AM
where would this be located?

accordlxi2.0
10-10-2004, 12:31 PM
main fuel relay is located behind the fuse panel, it's gray with a lot of hole's.
so just get under turn the key in the on position, you should hear 2 clicks.
that is the fule pump turning on then off.

MarioBurke
10-10-2004, 01:45 PM
main fuel relay is located behind the fuse panel, it's gray with a lot of hole's.
so just get under turn the key in the on position, you should hear 2 clicks.
that is the fule pump turning on then off.

oh well that is working too i guess. I heard it click. :help:

accordlxi2.0
10-10-2004, 02:08 PM
okay, well what your gonna have to do is test the fuel pump.
do that by removing it. i know this is gonna be crazy . . . .
make sure the gas is dried off.
remove it.
connect them to the battery,JUST FOR A SECOND, so you won't damage the pump.
if it run slowly the pump is no good.
but if it kick as it's connected, and run fast, then the pump is fine.

BTW, i live in chicago.
and it get's cold and the fuel line never froze on me so i doubt it'll happen to you . . . . ..

MarioBurke
10-10-2004, 04:29 PM
okay, well what your gonna have to do is test the fuel pump.
do that by removing it. i know this is gonna be crazy . . . .
make sure the gas is dried off.
remove it.
connect them to the battery,JUST FOR A SECOND, so you won't damage the pump.
if it run slowly the pump is no good.
but if it kick as it's connected, and run fast, then the pump is fine.

BTW, i live in chicago.
and it get's cold and the fuel line never froze on me so i doubt it'll happen to you . . . . ..

Well the pump was new right before I did the EFI swap for my car. so the pump should have been good anyway. when I got home next week I will try it again.

what i meant by frozen is that it was old and corroded. plugged up. not actually frozen.

POS carb
11-15-2004, 02:27 PM
ummmmm u are using the LXi pump, right?

POS carb
11-15-2004, 02:31 PM
Oops nevermind that I didn't read properly...
I thought u were running EFI on a carb pump

Prope the terminals on the pump, you should get 12V when someone turns the key to the "On" position for a sec or so
If no power check the fuel pump fuse under the dash
If the fuse is good I dunno but there is a relay there somewhere, I'venever had it fail on me, check the shop manual under "Body electrical" or "Fuel and emmissions"

BlueBead
11-16-2004, 12:44 AM
If you don't have it already you should download the e-manual from pauls website.
the link is http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=25137
you might want to check your fuel cut-off valve.
Good Luck man; I hope you don't need it