PDA

View Full Version : She Siezed up!!!!

Dr._8t9LX
10-10-2004, 07:49 AM
Coming back to Sacatomato from LA my radiator cracked wide open and spilled her guts. I was watching the temp gauge like a hawk, but it never got hot! Just started to go cooler and cooler and i was lossing power, I pulled over at first pull off on HWY 5, but it was to late! Car emidatly stalled when she stoopped rolling. Sur enough, big ol' crack spraying green juice everywhere and when i patched and filled fluid, she cranks but not start. Kinda like no compression sounding?

I am so Bumbed out!!!! Starter turns but that's it. :help:

Any advice or diagnostic help would be great. Head gasket or total siezed? Does started still turn if siezed rings? :pc: :sadwave: :burn:

nswst8
10-10-2004, 07:55 AM
This is a good sign.
1. Check the oil to see if it looks like coffee with creamer.
2. Check radiator to she if it looks oil contaminated.

From here go to either cylinder leakdown test. Or compression test.
Good luck.

accordlxi2.0
10-10-2004, 08:41 AM
i don't think it's seized up.
seized up to me, would mean nothing could turn the engine.

Jareds 89 LX-i
10-10-2004, 10:38 AM
If the motor was seized up, the starter would not be able to crank it at all. When they seize up, they're stuck for good pretty much, so I highly doubt you seized up. What may have happened is the coolant spraying out the radiator may have gotten something electrical wet and is keeping it from firing. That happened to somebody else here about a year or two ago... driving down the road and a hose or something burst and sprayed coolant everywhere and it stalled the motor and it woudln't restart. He was pretty freaked, but it was just a hose and once everything dried out it started right back up. But do check the oil and make sure it's not chocolate milk. That means there's antifreeze in the oil, and it will not lubricate in such a state, which will lead to engine seizage or at least fried bearings. If you're temp never went up and the oil is good, I highly doubt you seized your engine.

Justin86
10-10-2004, 10:46 AM
well if your radiator is cracked all your fluid will leak out. The temp is taken at the thermostat and if all the fluid is gone then there won't be fluid in the thermostat and it won't read correctly.

Dr._8t9LX
10-10-2004, 10:36 PM
Thanks everyone, I just got it back to Sac. The Tow truck guy listened and thought maybe the timeing belt coulda gone, because of the heat. So I gota look inside and check the valves and such.

Anyone know a good Honda mechanic in Sacramento, I may have to let someone more pro than me give it a once over?(I should search I know!)

PS AAA plus rocks!!! 100 miles a day. So at midnight, call again, get ride, come back next day and get another 100 miles. Thats $1500 in towing saved! and I Still got one tow left this year.

:cool:

Dr._8t9LX
10-13-2004, 01:47 PM
SO the engines shot! Creamy choclate milk oil, no compression, rings are toast, Timing belt toast....! Having the shop replace engine.

Good news is he ordered a crate engine but they where out so i am getting a rebuilt engine for the same price as a crate! New pistons, rings, valves, belt, ......I think this is Good???!!! :rockon:

$2000.00 to $2500.00 for work not so good! :sad2:

So, I figured one thing out. The temp guage sensor is in the intake manifold. When moving down the freeway it must stay pretty cool, so it showed no rise in temp. Only when you stop at a light or something does it heat up and show on the guage. Atleast when the Radiator coolant is blasting out all over the engine bay!!!! :mad:

I am gona get my old block to play around with too!! Make a race engine if the block is OK.

badmanferg
10-13-2004, 04:02 PM
SO the engines shot!

Having the shop replace engine.

$2000.00 to $2500.00 for work not so good!

goddamn!, i can get a h22a + tranny and lsd for the cb7! why so much for an A series? :pc:

Dr._8t9LX
10-13-2004, 04:24 PM
Thats having the shop take out the old and put in the new, tune it, and cover me if they Fu@$ it up.

Dr._8t9LX
11-02-2004, 04:18 PM
Ok, I got the Accord back from the shop. $2732 for rebuilt engine, new radiator, hoses, one engine mount and labor! Damb it I could got new rims and a body kit or put a supercharger on her for that much!

It took an hour to clean out all the radiator fluid that splashed everywhere. The air filter lid and valve cover got permenant stains from the rad fluid. Anyone know how to get that out?

ehulst
11-02-2004, 04:46 PM
try a Simple Green....or some type of a De-greaser...

Dr._8t9LX
11-02-2004, 05:13 PM
Thanks, I tried a citrus cleaner that works great on everything else, but i think the rad fluid stain might be baked into the paint. I'll try Simple G though.

AccordEpicenter
11-02-2004, 06:28 PM
shit son, i woulda just paid to get it home then dropped the engine in my drive way and installed a junkyard engine or known good engine and install it (you could do it yourself for under $500) Id bet the engine you have now is shot, you probably overheated the piss out of it

Dr._8t9LX
11-02-2004, 06:47 PM
My old engine is gone. They put in a rebuilt engine from a parts house cause they were not in stock with crate engines. I didn't do it myself cause I need the car to work and live and I don't have time to deal with replacing it myself. I was tempted to though. Atleast I got 12 month/ 12,000 mile warrenty on work done.

DarknessRS
11-26-2004, 10:17 PM
Actually your temperature gauge takes readings from your engine's water temperature. If most of the water leaked out, then it wouldn't have anything to measure.

Remember, the 3 basic fluids an engine needs: water, oil, and gasoline
[edit]Unless you've got air-cooled like older VWs then its just gas and oil[edit]

AQcz
11-27-2004, 08:13 AM
Good that you got your car back but $2732? Damn, I would've just put the money towards a newer car. Everything is more expensive though when you can't do it yourself.

I was looking on the Dell website and see they charge around $145 to install a computer in your house. I didn't know plugging a few wires into all color labeled holes counted as installation.

HondaBoy
11-27-2004, 09:43 AM
when my heater hose blew up and leaked all the coolant out, this same thing happened to me. the temp gauge didnt work right, that's because there's no fluid running over the temp sensor if all the fluid has leaked out. i tried to drive mine home but i didnt make it. as for seizing up, mine did. it wouldnt even turn over! it just stopped dead and i had to push it into a gas station, then get it towed later on. i thought i had cracked the head or blown the head gasket, but it didnt in my case. as you should know, its still running and quite well. it was total luck in my case though.

Neuspeed87lx
11-27-2004, 02:39 PM
thats really not to bad for a rebuilt motor with labor ....trust me you saved yourself a shitload of aggravation by just having a shop do it ...especially a carbed motor ... and you have a warranty

Dr._8t9LX
11-27-2004, 03:36 PM
Well, I just bought the car so couldn't just give up on it. I got the rebuild but the valve cover leaked, so I took it back, they fixed it, but it still has a leak so I take it in next week again. Thats the benifit of a shop rebuild, they fix all their mistakes. If the rebuilt engine is leaking then they put a new one in or fix it, no extra charge.

I also get a 12 month 12,000 mile warrenty which I couldn't give myself!

But I still wish I had the time and skill and tools to do it myself!