PDA

View Full Version : helpful suggestions will be very appreciated

accord3Gkidd415
10-10-2004, 08:49 AM
1986 LX AT; :welcome: here's the deal...
i'm the kind of person that likes to plan ahead for things because i've learned from many experiences that it helps (a lot). well i'm planning on upgrading/replacing my stock 3g sound system soon (hopefully within a few months; january? hey! i'm trying to think realistically here, lol!) and i was wondering if anyone can help me with some suggestions. i'm sorry if i'm gonna make this thread kinda long to read because i'm a very descriptive person and i'd like people to give me advice that would suit my needs (and also because some ppl don't think before they ask and are ragged when asking questions that have endless answers; ex: "what are the best speakers?" or "how do i get more 'beat'?").
DETAILS:
my main priority when buying my new system will be quality and durability; i find that 'you pay for what you get' is true so i don't mind investing some extra dough won't hurt towards the 'better-built product' (don't wanna sound like an ass, but i've found that name brand products with a reputation tend to last longer than those other knock-off brands sold at your local kragen, lol; this however is not true in all cases, but unfortunately most). i'm estimating high on this, but i think my budget would be $800 to spend on the deck & interior speakers and $1000 for the sub(s), box, amp(s), and equalizer (including all wiring).
i'm a fan of all genre's of music, but my main preference would be alternative rock so the system i end up with would have to be durable enough to blast my rock (and no, i'm not the kind of person that would enjoy blowing a speaker), thump my hip-hop, and yet get the quality out of classical orchestra; this factor is why i feel a need for an equalizer to tune/adjust my music according to my many different types of genres.
i'm pretty new to 3geez and i've been doing my fair share of research (so please don't rag on me) and i've found that our cars have two sets of speakers that are 6.5" (but the rear speakers have more depth-mouting room that the front door panel speakers). i want a system that is a little above average if possible, but nothing too high-end (i don't want to settle for 'decent'). i don't mind having to cut here and there to make adjustments for parts to fit (if neccessary), but i'd rather avoid it unless it is totally neccessary. i don't want to sound shallow, but a lot of members in this board seem like they're doing well with alpine & infinity rather than rockford, blaupunkt, and sony (or at least that's the impression i got after reading many threads; idon't know, i could be wrong).
INITIAL PLANS:
an alpine head unit, 6.5" component speakers up front, 6.5" midrange speakers to rear (or 6x9 i possible), an amp to power the interior system, three 10" subs or two 12" subs, amp to poer subs, equalizer, and not sure what type of box suits my needs.
p.s.- i've also began doing some reading on deadener, but i don't want to think too far ahead....
THANKS TO WHOEVER HELPS!!! 3GEEZ!!! :help:

accordlxi2.0
10-10-2004, 09:22 AM
eh i'ma a pioneer fan.
the model i had was a deh 3500, which was very good for the price.
but the system that i had set up, on my 86 lx was.

the front was bose speaker's. and tweeter's.
the rear's were 2 bose 6x9's, and 2 american pro 6x9's 4 ways.
and a 560watt jvc amp.

now with the set up in the rear, a few guy's at my job tought a had 2 10's in thier.

it's possible to get 6x9's in the back.

buty since your gonna have sub's why get em'

i like the set up though.

Moodybluesr
10-10-2004, 11:20 AM
If you're going to have subs, it would actually be better to go with 6.5s in back as a round speaker doesn't distort the sound like an oval one will. The only benefit to the larger cone on the 6x9 is a bit more bass, which you won't need if you have subs.

Vanilla Sky
10-10-2004, 12:44 PM
for speakers, i would go for infinity kappa components up front, and kappa co-ax speakers in the rear...

as for a deck, there are so many to chose from... i've only had experience with pioneer, and i personally wouldn't suggest anything in your price range that's made by pioneer...

as for subwoofers, there's a lot of those, too... i hear elemental designs are great, and adire audio are great, too... again, this is an area where i don't have a whole lot of experience... at least not in the higher end... personally, if i end up with subs in my car, they will be dayton audio qu4ttro subs... cheap and good TS parameters...

as for amps, i believe i'd go with a coustic branded amplifier... generally underrated, and usually of extremely nice build quality...

for an EQ, try to get something that was made to work with your deck, as a lot of times you gain (or retain) a lot of features this way (alpine, clarion, and kenwood come to mind here)...

one more thing to keep in mind if you ever use the radio is that out antennae are pretty crappy... that would be on my list of things to upgrade, also... around here, there are A LOT of quality radio stations (i'm in north/central Florida), and i like listening to several of the radio shows, especially Lex & Terry, so for me, a quality antenna is a must... so you may want to add in the want/need for that in your budget...

as for our general likes around here... most of us come to these conclusions based on experience... as you probably have found out, most of us don't have a lot of money to spend on our cars... when we spend money on an audio system, we want a whole lot of bang for our buck... these companies seem to deliver almost all the time... i'm personally pretty big on infinity, old sony, high end alpine, high end pioneer, panasonic, coustic, and clarion... these products are ones i personally have had experience with in my own car, or experience with in other peoples' cars... brands like blaupunkt just don't seem to be looked at much around here... seems people have had problems with them not reading burned discs, even on the MP3 models... my next deck will be a panasonic, a clarion, or a blaupunkt... depends on what i like when i am buing one...

as for cheap brands, you are really right there... you really do seem to get what you pay for, but when you look to the lower lines from boston acoustics and infinity, the mid lines from alpine, clarion, panasonic and pioneer, and the high lines from sony, kicker, rockford fosgate, and such, you really can find some real bargains, when it comes to the bang for the buck test... you seem to not be afraid of buying something that isn't in the mainstream, but still is built by a large company... that's why i pointed to ED, adire, and dayton audio for subwoofers... you just have to look and really study to get what you want... you are probably gonna end up with a really great system, and come out with money left over from your budget simply because you are researching... i have to commend you there...

i hope my super longwinded post has helped you out some, man

Derick

Ludi Mali
10-13-2004, 01:30 PM
if you want really good sq out of a radio i've had great experiences with eclipse, they don't have a lot of tunability on the HU, but since you are getting an EQ it won't matter, mine doesn't distort at all up to full volume. Interior speakers are totally up to you, depends on what kind of sound you like ( brighter or more full in the midrange) i'd go listen to as many as you could. For subs if you want musical some that can get loud when you need it and still sound musical check out diamond, cadence, and orion, they're all top notch.

86lxihatchback
10-14-2004, 02:54 PM
here are a few of my opinions
If you want a headunit that will last a long time go with pioneer.
For subs well I have had bad experience with fosgate, Blew a he2 15" within 5 minutes with an 800 watt amp. Plus blew two other 15"s that were fosgate with a 200 watt amp. Kicker I have had real good luck with, and you get good bass for your money. Right now I have Memphis, they are around the same price as kicker, they were like 130 for the pair. The best part about them, 3 year warranty. Plus they sound awesome. My spl is 146 db.
Hope this might help you some.

accord3Gkidd415
10-14-2004, 04:11 PM
thanks yall, i really appreciate all the helpful tips. since i've started this post i've been looking around and right now i have to say that i'm leaning towards infiinity's for my interior. thanks to the the helpful tip about keeping a round cone opposed to an oval one, i've decided to cancel that option (6x9's) out so i guess i'm just another little step closer in my planning. what i really need to do is actually go out listen some set-ups (another tip i've gained from yall) rather than just read too many specs & reviews online, lol. i may also take another one of your helpful tips and consider getting probly an alpine deck or any deck with a simple eq system so i can save a bit more money to get my system sooner. thanks agaian you guys (and girls)! 3geez forever! keep the knowledge coming!

z3bra
10-14-2004, 07:46 PM
for head unit i would go with
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Alpine-In-dash-CD-Player--CDA-9831-/sem/rpsm/oid/87522/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
amazing unit

speakers - infinity kappa perfects 6.5"s
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=58025&item=5724464873&rd=1
all 4

subs + amp
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48597&item=5725772548

the best enclosure is one you would build yourself, and im not sure about the equalizer

a 4 gauge 2000wt wiring kit really isnt that expensive, prolly run you 40 bucks and thats with shipping.

all of that right there is about $1200 so you would still have quite a bit left, and a insane system.

accord3Gkidd415
10-15-2004, 09:14 AM
thanks a lot! i've been looking at alpine decks of that type & those speakers are good too (and a great deal). i was wondering if it would be better to get those 3-ways up front w/ components in the rear or the oother way around? or components all around? would components all around take care of the base while i don't have the subs? i've been studying around all these other threads lately and i think that some suggested that audiosbahns are better to use for cars that just want to "hit" w/ out tight quality (is that right?). i could be mistaken though... keep up w/ the great advice! thanks!

Vanilla Sky
10-15-2004, 09:38 AM
if you want a good sounding system that sounds good wherever you sit in the car, you want co-ax (2-way, 3-way...) in the rear, and components up front... if you want to, you can just get a good set of midbasses for the rear and bring the soundstage up some... with a good set of amplified midbasses, you usually don't need subs to have good low-end impact... i have a set of midbasses from an infinity reference component set in the rear deck in my car, and i would say that with an amplifier, the sound system will be loud and very very clear... i will be using an old sony amplifier (i mean like 10-15 years old) rated at 50x4 RMS for my speakers... that should be more than enough power to be loud, clear, and not cost much money... just remember that you don't have to have subs to have a nice, full sounding stereo... if all you want is loud, then you would want to spring for some subs... if you want a good sub that will "hit" hard, not take much power at all, and still sound good, look into infinity references, or dayton audio qu4ttro subs... the daytons are like $80 for a 12 inch sub, and has pretty good T/S parameters, and is based on a proven motor structure that dayton uses in another speaker line... if you want to talk audio, PM me, or instant message me on AIM...

Derick

Ludi Mali
10-15-2004, 02:19 PM
if you're not going for loud with the subs, i'd get maybe 1 10 just so you have those low notes in there, nothing to big, but a sub makes a big difference in the low end, it gives the music a fuller sound.

accord3Gkidd415
10-15-2004, 05:31 PM
thanks for the really good info. i was meaning to ask that question before (about components all around), but i didn't really know how to word it correctly. i wanted to ask if components all around would sound alright (because they are high-end) with a sub or two in the back (for the low-end). i could go with a good, basic set-up as vanilla suggested, but i don't want to have to upgrade later down the line (i want to "get it right the first time" as i've heard so much across the threads, lol). i been looking around and here are are couple combos i've been thinking of... please tell me what you think.

SET-UP #1
Front: infinty kappa 63.5I
Rear: infinity kappa perfect 6.1
Subs: 12" alpine type-x SWX-1242D

SET-UP #2 (components all around)
Front: infinity kappa 60.5cs
Rear: infinity kappa perfect 6.1
Subs: 10" alpine type-r SWR-1041D x2

SET-UP #3 (basic/easier to get)
Front: infinity kappa 60.5cs
Rear: infinity kappa 63.5I
Sub: 10" alpine type-r SWR-1021D (in a fiberglass tube encloser) pic (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32823&item=5725690986&rd=1)

interior speakers will be powered by an infinity reference 7520A amplifier... as for the sub(s), i haven't decided on the box or amp yet...

i peronsally think that SET-UP #3 is the more "economical" way to go, but i'm in favor of SET-UP #1. SET-UP #2 may seem like it's "too much," but keep in mind that i don't want to upgrade later (at least not any time soon...)

Klue
10-15-2004, 05:47 PM
the only thing i can say about the alpine subs, is that they take a shit load of watts to get them moving. but they do sound really good

Vanilla Sky
10-15-2004, 05:56 PM
actually, the setup i'm suggesting is a pure SQ setup... remember that good midbasses extend down to below what you would expect...

www.partsexpress.com if you want to get creative and build your own component sets... the speakers for my final setup are gonna cost less than $500 through them... that's 2 subs, good midbasses, really good midranges for the front only, and really nice planary ribbion tweeters for the front only... this is using 4 ohm home theatre components... and to answer the coming question, no there is no difference... a driver is a driver is a driver...

Ludi Mali
10-15-2004, 09:41 PM
if you want to save space and simplify setup, you might want to look into a 5 channel amp, 4 for internals and 1 for subs, this way you have less to position and less wires to run(makes for a cleaner install) not sure on the pricing tho.

Also, if you have the opportunity try listening to some speakers from the kenwood excelon line, I know a lot of people don't like kenwood and i'm usually one of them, but these sound like they're from a different company. the freq response is amazing, 28hz-40khz on the coax and 35hz to 70khz on the components, which covers everything except for the lowest of the lows, i actually don't notice that i have my subs off sometimes the bass response is so good. And they are clear as day. I just put the coax's in my front door, and it sound like the speaker is firing directly into my face instead of into my shin. don't be discouraged by the name, definately a worthy speaker to compete for an audiophile ear.

accord3Gkidd415
10-18-2004, 09:42 AM
i think i'm going to definatly go with infinity kappa perfect 6.1. i'm going to have to cut the plastic molding though, but it should be ok as long as i put a speaker baffle in to protect the speaker right? the plastic molding is vented and doesn't even look as if really protects the speaker from moister, it looks like it only holds the speaker in place....

Vanilla Sky
10-18-2004, 11:13 AM
it does keep water from dripping onto the speaker, but that's nothing that can't be done by using a good (and cheap) foam baffle... even a small plastic shroud would do the same thing the stock basket does...

accord3Gkidd415
10-20-2004, 04:17 PM
i was talking with a few of my friends about their set-ups and one of them mentioned that subs that are too powerful may end up damaging my power windows and door locks, anyone know if this is true? i was just wondering... oh yeah and as far as my system planning goes, i'm going with infinity kappa perfect 6.1 in the front, still deciding on rears, but i do know it will all be powered by an infinity reference 7520A 4 channel amp. anyone have some suggestions on the rear speakers? right now i'm leaning towards a pair of infinity kappa 63.5I...

Ludi Mali
10-20-2004, 06:22 PM
i don't think it could damage your power equipment, i does kill your alternator faster if you blast it all the time and you have a very high powered system. All i've heard of car damage was rear windows in hatches(thats cuz the sealant shakes loose) and my one friend broke the hinge off of his trunk lid.

Sabz5150
10-20-2004, 08:03 PM
A good system doesn't have to cost mad cash. Hell, my entire system cost less than $1000 and people who have heard it will tell you that it is damn good. It's all about doing your research and realizing that the bling factor does not make a good sounding system.

Alpine? Sheesh. Getting one of those is like buying a pair of Air Force Ones... you're only buying a name. Sure they may have some decent features, but you can do better for less. It may not look as pretty but who cares?! You're looking for quality in what you hear, not what you see.

It's always a good idea to amp your fronts and rears. You can always gain quality by getting off of the headunit's amp. Components? Good. EQ? If you don't know how to tune it, don't get it. Most people just do the smiley face and leave it at that. If you know how to make the most out of an equalizer, then go for it.

Koopsta
10-21-2004, 12:57 PM
In my car i got a mp3 pioneer deck fronts are sony xplodes no rear speakers(planning to change that) the trunk i have two 12' pioneers and a 900 watt Rockford amp
i mostly listen to underground rap with heavy bass but can rock with acdc or system of a down and it still pounds

z3bra
10-21-2004, 09:13 PM
well i run an audiobahn alum10q and audiobahn a8002t, the amp pushes quite a bit, ive never heard of people having alternator problems, but really if your gunna push that much you should run an alternate battery, and ive never heard people having problems with anything else thats power in the car (thats why they made fuses), but it will kill your battery quick, so remember to have ur car running when you wanna listen to it

i had my system running for about 15 min (with the engine off, i had just installed everything) and the next morning my battery was to slow to start the car, luckily i had a battery charger

my friend runs an alpine unit with 4 infinity kappa's, none are amped, and it sounds amazing, as long as you got a good unit you really dont need to worry about amping it all

Sabz5150
10-21-2004, 09:26 PM
well i run an audiobahn alum10q and audiobahn a8002t, the amp pushes quite a bit, ive never heard of people having alternator problems, but really if your gunna push that much you should run an alternate battery, and ive never heard people having problems with anything else thats power in the car (thats why they made fuses), but it will kill your battery quick, so remember to have ur car running when you wanna listen to it

i had my system running for about 15 min (with the engine off, i had just installed everything) and the next morning my battery was to slow to start the car, luckily i had a battery charger

my friend runs an alpine unit with 4 infinity kappa's, none are amped, and it sounds amazing, as long as you got a good unit you really dont need to worry about amping it all

For some of us, external amps are a requirement :)

z3bra
10-22-2004, 11:20 AM
yea i know what you mean, i was just saying that really you dont need to amp everything if you got a good head unit, it will push plenty to each speaker

Ludi Mali
10-22-2004, 02:05 PM
depends on how loud you want it, HU's only put out about 12-14w per channel rms. If you want to get real loud i'd say go with atleast 4x50rms. you can pick up an mtx fairly cheap and those are underrated if anything.

accord3Gkidd415
10-22-2004, 09:16 PM
i don't want to do too much with the sub system.... i just want it to be durable enough to switch between my music, but at the same time keep quality "tightness" when it hits (that's why i'm leaning towards 10"(s) instead of 12"). i'm not going for loud, but i want a sub that can be loud when i want it to...