PDA

View Full Version : Pacesetter : Intake , Short Shifter , Header , Cat Back Exhaust , High Flow Cat

Pages : 1 [2]

PhydeauX
09-30-2003, 07:05 AM
Don't even bother trying to talk with them about getting a new gasket, well calling them in general is pointless. When I complained that they didn't even include the downpipe gasket with my header they refused to give me one. I ended up buying one from them. Then they sent me the wrong gasket and refused to accept a return. I picked up an exhaust gasket at the autoparts warehouse that was close and used that for a little bit, but it blew out rather qickly. I ended up makeing a gasket out of some soft copper plate which worked out rather well (make sure its pure copper, not brass).

andy

1988starter
09-30-2003, 07:21 AM
Yea I never got my hardware kit and i had to yell at them for a bit untill I got it.. My exhaust one kept blowing (my mechanic made me ones for the header. so I replaced it with sheet steel.

catalin
09-30-2003, 01:23 PM
Amazing how you get the run around sometimes for something as cheap as a gasket. Probably costs them a couple of bucks to send out to someone, but the negative experience for the customer will cost them even more.

wprocomp
09-30-2003, 02:18 PM
ok go to NAPA and pick up this part...#F7-284...this is a steel mesh gasket and it is fricken strong...all that needs to be done is clip the two back holes a little and it fits perfectly...dont bother making your own...unless you are very lucky paper ones will last for a little while...can someone make that part # a sticky or something?

iiviasterp
09-30-2003, 02:58 PM
sabz you hit that one on the mark.....i dont know what u did either, because i havnt had any problems with my short-throw, and truthfully it was one of the better mods ive done to my car, the shifts are way shorter, i work at a honda dearlership and any time i get in a third gen, i just think man its nice to have a short throw

PhydeauX
09-30-2003, 08:25 PM
Their shifter is decent. Just don't adjust it all the way down. Its simple leverage. The shorter you make the throw the more force its going to take to shift. You can adjust the pacesetter down to almost an inch if you want, but you'd better have popeye arms if you want to get it in gear. The adjustability is nice, it lets you balance the travel to the force to where you like it.

andy

89AccordHatch
10-06-2003, 03:06 PM
I dont know much about exhausts..i was under the impression that it had bends and things in it...so when you say staraight pipe.its just straight fromthe cat to the muffler?

Jims 86LXI HB
10-06-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by 89AccordHatch
I dont know much about exhausts..i was under the impression that it had bends and things in it...so when you say staraight pipe.its just straight fromthe cat to the muffler?

Yeah when someone mentions straight piping, the exhaust still has all the normal bends in all the same places. What the term usually implies is this. no cat, no resonator and maybe, no muffler. However it's up to the person that say's they have straight pipes to define what they took off or didn't put back on.

I wouldn't be caught dead without a resonator on these cars, IMO. I tried cheating by reusing my stock resonator, big mistake, lots of nasty resonating in the cabin between 1400K to if I remember 2400K. I should have installed a Magnaflow 4" by 14" muffler as my resonator.

Cyric_accord
10-06-2003, 06:45 PM
I didn't buy the pacesetter piping, but i guess I should've but I like it how it is... I had to replace this flex pipe from the down pipe to the cat with a 3" steel pipe, and then a Stainless Steel Universal DTM with the dual upturned tips... The muffler went on well, had to jury rig one hanger that didn't match the stcok setup but I used an adaptor to go from the stock 1 3/4" piping(cause it still looks brand new after 4 years) to the 2.5" muffler inlet. That went fine, even my dad thought the new muffler looked and sounded better than the stock.

But that flex pipe was a bitch, had split the pipe a lil and use new clamps to kind of crush it to the smaller pipe, but now has this strange whine underneath my seat... sometimes cool, sometimes sounds rice but you can't hear very easily with the new muffler.

1988starter
10-09-2003, 05:35 PM
Well As some of you know I recently went with some dcsports headers because my pacesetter ones turned to shit. Well here are some picts of the old and the new. Also I updated my webpage with some more picts.
http://www.geocities.com/geezpict/crack/crack1.txt
http://www.geocities.com/geezpict/crack/crack2.txt
http://www.geocities.com/geezpict/crack/crack3.txt
http://www.geocities.com/geezpict/crack/crack4.txt

the new engine pict

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/304000-304999/304085_31_full.jpg

the old
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/304000-304999/304085_20_full.jpg

NeubJ
10-09-2003, 07:56 PM
How long were the pacesetters on your car?
Just proves again you get what you pay for.

1988starter
10-10-2003, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by NeubJ
How long were the pacesetters on your car?
Just proves again you get what you pay for.

A little over 3 yrs but the crack has been stedally growing over the last year or so. I alays thought it was something else untill recently.

88shavedaccord
10-10-2003, 05:10 AM
pacesetter are junk and always will be junk. like someone already said, u get what u pay for

Cyric_accord
10-10-2003, 07:25 AM
Jesus, I think I'll be looking at DC Sports from now on it seems

doug
10-10-2003, 08:45 AM
ya know, people who install the factory pacesetter as is are stupid, I' grant you that. But people who pick up a pacesetter on the cheap and then modify it to be as it should on the whole exhaust system are thirfty and intelligent. The big problem with the pacesetter is the ball/socket connection, get rid ot that and you have an inexpensive, functional, option to the high priced units. I offer this as one possible modification to create a proper
coupling of header downpipe to exhaust pipe run. Comments
appreciated.
http://87accord.com/image/accord%20074.jpg

1988starter
10-10-2003, 05:29 PM
My bid problem was rust and a small weld on the flange that ripped off shown in the picture. DC Sports realized this problem and welded a longer flange that extends across the length of the pipe in a half circle then forward. Also I am not the only one who has had this problem

IWLSF
10-10-2003, 05:41 PM
I always laughed at people that bought that junk, and according to a few sources, Pacesetter LOST power over the powerband, not gained lol. Good waste of money.

guaynabo89
10-10-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by 1988starter
Well As some of you know I recently went with some dcsports headers because my pacesetter ones turned to shit. Well here are some picts of the old and the new. Also I updated my webpage with some more picts.

Wow thats amazing!:eek:

They really rusted out bad.

I bought my DC headers back in 96 and till this day they have no rust whatsoever. (they even saw some salty winters and such) I have them wrapped too. I recently replaced the header wrap off the lower portion of the header and even with the wrap there is no sign of rusing at all.

That goes to show how much quality you actually get when you buy the DC headers. The flanges are nice and thick and the tubes are thicker and made of better material.

89cordlx
10-10-2003, 06:44 PM
does anyone know where I can find a flange that meets up with the dc header downpipe? you know tha funny shaped triangle one

guaynabo89
10-10-2003, 06:46 PM
Go to the junkyard, take out the catalityc converter and cut the flange off of it.

Good luck trying to find it anywhere else.

dXsquared
10-10-2003, 06:59 PM
i think 2 years on a steel un painted header is great.. esp. in NY winters!

Travis

HondaBoy
10-11-2003, 08:27 PM
aint that a bitch! well, i hope DC is making headers for the carbed engine. thats what i have. unless i can somehow mod it to work. i was going to buy a pace setter header and get it ceramic coated when i got it. someone told me that would make all the difference.

modu03
01-14-2004, 08:22 PM
alright I got my pacesetter ceramic coated headers... there are two holes for o2 sensors, only one on car....

do I plug one off, or splice a second o2 sensor in, or something else...

I'm in no hurry here... need some head work done before the install.

1988starter
01-14-2004, 08:25 PM
would just plug one off also if you are in no hurry I would replace the ball joint with a mesh flex section

modu03
01-14-2004, 08:31 PM
yeah, I was thinking about that, do you happen to know a good place to get a flex joint, cheaply.

do you know if the smog people allow that though, cali sucks

1988starter
01-14-2004, 08:33 PM
www.jcwhitney.com

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=5192&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&storeId=10101

k-roy
01-14-2004, 08:35 PM
Plug the extra bung. The 88 and 89 LXi had two sensors so thats why it is there.

Nate2310
01-14-2004, 09:01 PM
Yeah you just plug one of the holes, I did it buy screwing a spark plug in it and puting liquid gasket around it. prob not the best way but it was easy and has had no problems

and I would highly recommend replacing the ball joint w/ a flex pipe, the ball joint makes an annoying sound.

bobafett
01-16-2004, 12:15 PM
im trying to get the headers on amber car and naturally ran into a few problems....

1) the hanger bracket that supports the downpipe is all mangled from removal, and we are having a bitch of a time getting it back into a shape that will work again

2) we didnt remove o2 sensor while the stock manifold was on, and now we cant get it off the manifold :(

3) the EGR tube will fit in the spot, but its at such an angle that we will never be able to thread on the fitting to keep it sealed...

-----------------

question 1: i havent bought an 02 sensor before, will it come tailed and with the plugin so i can buy it and just hook it right up?

question 2: what size is the fitting that threads into the EGR, im thikning about just "disabling" the EGR and plugging that hole. but i dont know what size it is...

anytips?

Vinny
01-16-2004, 12:24 PM
if you get the higher priced sensor it will have the plug. The cheaper priced one you have to splice

I had to fight with my EGR tube when I installed my DC but I FINALLY maged to get the 2 to mate up, it just took a smoke break or 2 to unstress and rethink things. Basically hang the manifold on the studs and just barely thread on the nuts, then you just have to play with the tube, I think I actually bent mine a very slight bit forcing it in but it finally threaded in.

bobafett
01-16-2004, 12:31 PM
thanks for the EGR tip. thats how we had to get it off there, i cant believe i didnt think of trying it that way .lol

how much $$$ did u pay for the "higher" priced sensor vs the cheaper one...
i wish we could get the GD thing off, but its REALLLLLLLLLLLY on there...

RobT5580
01-16-2004, 12:36 PM
The O2's are very hard to get off either way i got mine off with a torch but the treads still got damaged so i said screw it and bought two bosch ones cause i needed them that day. They run about 29.99 and are a direct fit and no modification needed. If your not in a hurry i would get the NGK sensors someone made a post about a month ago about them in the General forum i think.

bobafett
01-16-2004, 12:37 PM
thanks rob. we only need 1 sensor for the 86lxi, $30 is reasonable, i think ill just get a new one! ;)

Vinny
01-16-2004, 12:55 PM
The cheaper one is normally like 17 or so. The NGK's I think I mentioned a while ago. NGK.com has them 35.85 for the direct fit, 17.85 for the universal. Just to give u an idea

bobafett
01-17-2004, 01:45 AM
shitty. paid $29 for the generic one. it was that or $55 for the tailed one....

we also had to remove the brace that supports the downpipe because the pacesetter bracket was totally the wrong fucking shape and location... so it took two whole days and about $150 just to change that bitch.... but its done. . ...

and all the time i spent sandblasting and painting the headers was wasted, cause within 5seconds the 1500 degree ceramic paint started to burn off.....

next time im buying good quality parts, not these shitty pos fucking pacesetter peices of trash...

anyway it was a stressful and slow day... i wasted my two days off fighting ambers car.... lol pics arent worth it since hte header is ugly now...

shepherd79
01-17-2004, 05:58 AM
here is the easy way to get EGR pipe on.
unscrew the pipe from the intake manifold, and it should give you some room to get the pipe threaded into the exhaust manifold.

bobafett
01-17-2004, 08:03 AM
yeah we just kinda muscled it on... there is some tension pushing the manifold away from the head, but its fine.... but thx for the tip, i started looking at the bolts there and wondering if i shouldnt have done that...

dXsquared
01-17-2004, 10:07 AM
i bought the ceramic pacesetter... still silver after 6-7000 km's

i just capped the tubes...

Travis

smufguy
01-17-2004, 08:32 PM
best way to remove those hard bolts are a shit load of Liquid wrench and a pipe wrench. The pipe wrenchs do kinda kink up the bolts but they are quick to remove those things.

nswst8
01-17-2004, 08:49 PM
I'm sorry to be so blunt. But guys these are the worst headers I have ever bought. Less than a year after install I removed them and sh_t canned them.
They rust faster than any metal I have ever seen. The only hope I could see to extend the life span is to send them to Jet Hot to get their ceramic coating apllied around $100.
After I put them on their coating burned off the first day, so the following weekend I took them off again and coated them with 10 misted coatings of high temp ceramic paint. Within a year they were rusting out again and I live in Florida.
Very poor quality, stay away from these. I would think that it would be better for us to find a custom frabricator to do a mass order for headers.
Hope this helps. LOL
NSWST8 :cheers:

smufguy
01-18-2004, 06:37 PM
well nswst8, we all know and are well aware of the quality of the pacesetter headers. But the carb guys got that as the only option for their after market headers. The DC sports are only for Efi engines as you know and its not possible to adapt a DC header to a CARB unless u eliminate the Air circulation tube or without destroying the header. But MIKE (a20a1) is developing his 4-1 header and who knows if he has some time he might come up with a 4-2-1 for you guys.

This is one of the reasons i did my efi swap (i know i mention it everywhere :D) but its soo much of an ease you could say when it comes to finding aftermarket support for an already aftermarket-deprived car. :D

BITESIZE
01-18-2004, 09:22 PM
I want to see who all has a pacesetter header, how much they paid, where they got, how much they like it......and so forth.... :bow:

od2681
01-18-2004, 10:16 PM
i got a pacesetter.....paid 175 and the shiping was included
work fine with me
just kinda make a rattling sound if you touch 1800 rpm and if you get there while trying to go fast
otherwise works fine..like the sound too....kinda sounds like a muscle car....a really small muscle car

nswst8
01-18-2004, 10:28 PM
They are in my opinion the worst material in the world, the performance was marginal at best, Had to tap the second O2 sensor hole because they sell same model for both applications.

Had to remove and recoat everything after their coating burnt off.
within a year they were rusting out again. If you don't mind pulling it off every year to recoat the header and down pipe.

If you were to send it out to Jet Hot they told me that it would cost around $100 to coat it, this is the only way I could see getting one of theirs.

As I said I had it and trashed it.

hope this helps. LOL

BITESIZE
01-18-2004, 10:45 PM
I'll bet you'll like that dc you got for way too much$$$$

bobafett
01-19-2004, 12:44 AM
i have a pair of pacesetters on ambers car, and it was the biggest peice of shit to get that miserable header on her car, nothing seemed to fit right, and the bracket didnt work to support the downpipe...
that and i spent a long time painting them with the right stuff, and it still burned right off... (not pacesetters fault, but my DCs are holding up fine....)

anyway i would recommend to anyone to SAVE your money and buy DCsports headers, i dont care what u say its worth it. ;)

soljaboy2000
01-19-2004, 12:47 AM
does DCheaders simply bolt on or you have to modify in order for it to fit

bobafett
01-19-2004, 12:49 AM
i didnt have to modify anything or remove anything. it went on very smoothly and easily....quite unlike the pacesetters.... :(

soljaboy2000
01-19-2004, 12:50 AM
you have pics?

BITESIZE
01-19-2004, 12:54 AM
but can you find dc's anywhere in stock nowadays though?

soljaboy2000
01-19-2004, 12:55 AM
what kinda header you have bitesizzle?

BITESIZE
01-19-2004, 12:58 AM
s t o c k

soljaboy2000
01-19-2004, 12:59 AM
nice way to put 10 characters LOL

BITESIZE
01-19-2004, 01:07 AM
:gun: BITESIZE MO FO!
bitesizzle?

soljaboy2000
01-19-2004, 01:11 AM
L O L L O L

k-roy
01-19-2004, 04:01 AM
I had a pacesetter Header on first vehicle. I paid $120 from JC Whitney. Installing it was beyond simple, much easier than a 3G would be. I highly reccomend the Ceramic coating. As soon as I started it up with the header installed the black paint it had started to burn off. I should have ripped it back off and put some 2,000 degree paint on it but I was lazy. It rusted after the first winter. The quality was allright. The welds and overall machining process was good but I would like to have seen it made with better materials.

dXsquared
01-19-2004, 07:48 AM
i have the armor coat pacesetter... i have all the ports blocked cuz i dont have emmisions or O2 sensors... anyway, the install was fairly easy, but the one thing you must do is replace the fibrelock nuts with metal lock nuts and use lock washers in the mid section... torque em real good, then drive around and get em hot... then come home, and re torque em...

Mike's89AccordLX
01-19-2004, 07:56 AM
Damit that might be what's rattling. I think I will save up and get DC's anyways though. I have seen the quality and really I don't see how pacesetter stays in business.

k-roy
01-19-2004, 08:51 AM
Pacesetter stays in business because they make headers for just about anything when no one else does. Kinda like our cars, I don't thing DC Sports still produces them.

Try finding a non turbo 2.6 Mitsu header besides PC, not ganna happen.

Mike's89AccordLX
01-19-2004, 08:54 AM
DC still makes them for our cars. Like $345 or close to that but they still make them.

k-roy
01-19-2004, 09:11 AM
Not to second guess you but DC Sports does not list it on their site.
Plus I heard they are hard to find. That leads me to believe that production has stopped, but some stores might still have them in stock.

BITESIZE
01-19-2004, 11:06 AM
I got a call from iNeedparts.com. They don't have any headers for me in stock, any brand. :(

Justin86
01-19-2004, 11:07 AM
Yea the best thing to do with the pace is to get them recoated at a shop, that way it will last. Also you need better gasket, and bolts for the header/downpipe.

1988starter
01-19-2004, 04:35 PM
this is what my pacesetter header did

adams86lxi
01-19-2004, 04:47 PM
hey, does anyone know if pacesetter headers are legal to use in califorina, because i really wouldnt want to take them off and put them back on every 2 years!

dXsquared
01-19-2004, 04:57 PM
Starter.. you have to tell the situation that your header was in.. wasnt it 3 years old on a year round drivin car? non painted i might add...

3 years is bitchin for a steel header!

Travis

Justin86
01-19-2004, 05:05 PM
hey, does anyone know if pacesetter headers are legal to use in califorina, because i really wouldnt want to take them off and put them back on every 2 years!

Dude any type of header, exhaust is smog legal. Cops will give you shit for mods that are smog legal just because it won't have the smog approval sticker or you have the papers to prove you had it tested. Cali cop can suck my fat one. :321:

1988starter
01-19-2004, 07:21 PM
Mine was steel driven 3 years but it started about 2 years in

nswst8
01-19-2004, 07:54 PM

Kind of what happens when your semi retired and still averaging $75 an hour.
But I'll still let you know how I like them babies.

I'll still keep an eye open for another set, they'll be coming around soon. And with my luck DC will start fabbing another batch.
LOL

1988starter
01-19-2004, 07:56 PM
I love the DC I paid 300 for

BITESIZE
01-20-2004, 11:45 AM
1988starter, damn what did you do to that header?

ET2
01-22-2004, 05:14 PM
I have the armor coated pacesetter and down pipe i got it off ebay for $120 it was in good shape the only problem is none of the flanges are flat I had to get them resurfaced $40 more and the lower mount had to be notched out a little to fit

buish
01-22-2004, 10:26 PM
Nay, I called DC Sports about 1.5 months asking for some bolts, and Mike, the guy I talked told me they stopped making it for our model.

BITESIZE
01-22-2004, 10:55 PM
Yeah, but for too much money

shepherd79
01-23-2004, 04:40 AM
i have pacessetter headers. i paid $100 for them. i bought it of a member year ago. they work great. i painted them duplicolor high temp paint and backed then in the oven. paint still on the headers. nothing is pilling.
they work great.

lightbulblxi
01-23-2004, 08:12 AM
i have there cat back and it is rusting already

Jims 86LXI HB
01-23-2004, 09:28 AM

Hasn't this issue already been hashed out?

Huh, almost looks like you asked for opinions on pacesetter headers, then when someone give's a bad report you try and say the other option (DC Sports headers) for people is way over priced. Which is real interesting considering the number of pacesetter owners than can comment about this problem and that problem, but you will not find a single DC Sports header problem on this board that I have ever seen since I have been here from near the very beginning of this place existing.

Yes their are member's here that have the Pacesetter header and will say they have no problems, but lot's of members will not say that. Some of us do not want to pay for something only to find out that our luck ran out and guess what were now on of the people that have a problem. I'd much rather spend a few more dollars and not worry. I want ceramic coating, buying the ceramic pacesetter closes the price gap more and I had to have a flex section, which of course the pacesetter does not have. I've seen to many posts from people that tried the ceramic paint bit, only to have it burn off to. Even so, power wise either product will offer more, until a dyno comparo surfaces between the two brands, power output isn't a reason to pick sides at this point.

Justin86
01-23-2004, 10:57 AM
The Pacesetter will work if you know how to take care of them by haiving them coated. Everying in bitching and complaining that pace sucks because they don't know what the hell they are doing. How hard is it to strip the black paint and put some ceramic paint on them? Or they can even take them to a shop and have it done with a good ceramic coating on them. Everyone that has had them repainted was happy with it, so get a clue idiots!

A20A1
01-23-2004, 11:09 AM
External coatings help but the header will still rust on the inside as well...

But how many DC's are left out there anyways?

Justin86
01-23-2004, 12:00 PM
Thats why you get everything coated. It like driving your car with no paint or primer, just bare metal and saying that car producer is crap cause the car is rusting.

Jims 86LXI HB
01-23-2004, 12:16 PM
The Pacesetter will work if you know how to take care of them by haiving them coated. Everying in bitching and complaining that pace sucks because they don't know what the hell they are doing. How hard is it to strip the black paint and put some ceramic paint on them? Or they can even take them to a shop and have it done with a good ceramic coating on them. Everyone that has had them repainted was happy with it, so get a clue idiots!

Bigger problem is the people that have had a problem with them vibrating on the crossmember. Not everyone that has repainted them has had success with the new paint sticking, I wouldn't call them idiots, that's not treating other members with respect! And I wouldn't trivialize the vast number of people that have voiced their problems over the years. They are cheap to buy and now the only game in town it would appear, we'll have to get good at dealing with the hand that is dealt to us. But I'd still make every effort to find a DC Sports header to not be someone that finds out they didn't beat the odds.

nswst8
01-23-2004, 12:22 PM

That Pacesetter sucks A_s. And if you look back and read alittle I was the one that removed the header after installing them and recoated them with "10" coatings of high temp ceramic paint after acid wash to produce a more accepting surface. And repainted after using a stop acid wash (acid Nuetralizer. Cool down and enjoy life alittle more.
Peace out, LOL

modu03
01-23-2004, 10:52 PM
I've got the cat back system, it fit right in, sounds great, there is a little bit of rust forming on the inside of tip, but I've had it for almost three years and paid less then most people pay for just the muffler.

and in my opinion, anyone who would purchase the painted headers are morons anyway, I bought the ceramic coated and there's no problems with it.

dc sports headers are only going to be found on ebay, and even that's not often, so go with what we can get, and get the thing armor coated

nswst8
01-23-2004, 11:53 PM
Good opinion. But remember it's only your opinion. I've been buying headers for the better part of twenty five years some good, some not so good, the bad ones I don't recommend, like "PACESETTER" the only reason I bought them is they were on sale.
if the armour coating were on sale I would have bought those. But hands down poor quality you would do better fabricating your own. I've live through the seasons and know how to maintain the under carriage of a vehicle. But Pacesetter sucks A_s.
Just my opinion.

Rendon LX-i
01-24-2004, 02:17 PM
well i was planing doing the same thing. get the black ones. go sand blast them. primer couple of times. use the VHT high temp paint. and shit. see what happens.

Rendon LX-i
01-28-2004, 07:28 PM
okay here the deal. i want to know if a Carbed pacesetter header that has 2 holes fit. i buying this off one of the memebers here. i mean the EGR and o2 sensors. or do pacesetter make the same header for both carb and EFI? let me know.

Rendon LX-i
01-28-2004, 08:47 PM
so it well work on my car then?

Rendon LX-i
01-28-2004, 09:59 PM
does mine have 2 O2 sensor? he said it well fit but idk. i just asking the members and seening if it was true. not saying he lieing just making sure u know. dont wanna buy something thats not going to fit.

shepherd79
01-29-2004, 05:31 AM
you car has one O2 sensor,and one EGR pipe.
i have carbed headers on EFI motor.
here is what you will have to do. you will have to plug one of EGR holes (it is the bigger hole). the headers should come with another O2 sensor. connect 2 sensors together to one wire.
it works for me.

tip. when you paint your headers with high temp paint. make sure you bake them after the paint dries.
i baked my headers for 3 hours ant low temp. 150-200 deg. after you bake DO NOT SPRAY PAINT THEM AGAIN or the new paint will peal.

Rendon LX-i
01-29-2004, 12:58 PM
ight so it well work then. all i gotta to do is plug the bigger egr hole and put my o2 sensor in the header. thats all i needed to know. thanks guys

k-roy
01-29-2004, 01:15 PM
Hey Rendon LX-i
The word "will" does not have an "E" in it, it has an "I"
Sorry to yell, you have done it a few times.
Good luck with that header.

Rendon LX-i
01-29-2004, 01:17 PM
lol. i guess i didnt pay attention. lol. i suck at spelling and typing. its all good.

NXRacer
01-29-2004, 02:31 PM
hey kroy, you should make sure you spell correctly when you're correcting somebody elses spelling..... :D

k-roy
01-29-2004, 02:33 PM
hey kroy, you should make sure you spell correctly when you're correcting somebody elses spelling..... :D
OMG. I feel like such an ass. :beat:

Nate2310
02-04-2004, 02:31 PM
How much would you pay for a refinished pacesetter header w/ a flexpipe?

the refinish would be the paint stripped off and painted w/ high temp metallic coating

dXsquared
02-04-2004, 02:39 PM
100 bucks

Travis

Cyric_accord
02-04-2004, 03:13 PM
no more than $80

jlaccord89lxi
02-04-2004, 04:33 PM
7 grand :) just joking

lightbulblxi
02-04-2004, 05:14 PM
yea, like a bill.

od2681
03-10-2004, 09:02 PM
stupid pacesetter....the bolts where the downpipe meets the manifold fell somwhere and now its a loud ass piece of crap..i actuallly found that out at night ....at frist i thought it was a hole in the downpipe or somethin but at night when i looked and treid to find the hole..ther was no hole...while the car was still runnin i popped the hood open and was lookin with my flashlight...i reved the car with the throttle and boom what i see...flame..blue flames shot through the joint at the downpipe and manifold....i was like damn...what hte heck...now i have to go tkae teh car to the muffler shop...and see what they can do bout that...if nothin happnes...ill just have them weld that hoe shut....stupid pacesetter.....oh there were no emptly lines in this thread cuzz my enter key is not workin...stupid enter key

smufguy
03-11-2004, 01:03 AM
Well arent the bolts 14mm? If so go to the junkyard and steal some. The seatbelt bolts are 14mm and the nuts on the struts are 14mm if im not mistaken. So yeah, find your way thru the car with a 14mm socket and u should find some bolts. The thread type is gonna be the same cause its for automotive purpose and it should be good.

Did u say blue flames???? Damn........... you sure you saw it right???? i never knew our cars spat out fire, let alone it aint good. :(

Moodybluesr
03-11-2004, 03:51 AM
Well arent the bolts 14mm? If so go to the junkyard and steal some. The seatbelt bolts are 14mm and the nuts on the struts are 14mm if im not mistaken. So yeah, find your way thru the car with a 14mm socket and u should find some bolts. The thread type is gonna be the same cause its for automotive purpose and it should be good.

:bs:

Who the hell told you that nonsense? Whoever it was, go find them and slap them. All bolts with 14mm heads are NOT made the same; threads and widths vary greatly in any automotive application.

smufguy
03-11-2004, 08:45 AM
:bs:

Who the hell told you that nonsense? Whoever it was, go find them and slap them. All bolts with 14mm heads are NOT made the same; threads and widths vary greatly in any automotive application.

i know by experience. All 14mm bolts taken from the car and the nuts for the 14mm studs are all of the same thread within the 3g. Well, i built my car from bare frame and i know it for a fact so dont call it BS my man. U want proof, well pay a visit to one of our NJ meets and i will gladly show you.

i know not every 14mm bolt head have the same width studs. but its comman sense man. U pick thru the bolt u want :werd:

od2681
03-11-2004, 08:49 AM
so fire out of the manifold aint good??
i thought cars usually had fire comin out of the manifold cuzz you know its combustion...i mean yeah if it was comin out of the exhaust pipe then i would be worried...but why should i be worried bout it comin from the manifold???

smufguy
03-11-2004, 08:59 AM
so fire out of the manifold aint good??
i thought cars usually had fire comin out of the manifold cuzz you know its combustion...i mean yeah if it was comin out of the exhaust pipe then i would be worried...but why should i be worried bout it comin from the manifold???

Well flame propogation happens under combustion under ignition stroke of our engines and after combustion u got the expansion stroke where the piston is pushed down as u know, in the Exhaust stroke, the piston moves back up and before it even starts from BDC (Bottom Dead Center) the exhaust valves open and the Vaccum pulls the exhaust gases out and the piston on its way to start the intake stroke pushes the exhaust gases out.

So if ur spitting fire, its only possible if ur revving real high, like 6.5K and Up rpm, usually in Redline zone. EIther that or ur exhaust valves are opening too early during combustion stoke.

This is my understanding, so i dont know if its normal or not, but its not probably. Flame is the result of burning fuel, so if u can see a flame in your exhaust, ur still burning fuel? and its outside the combustion chamber? that would not be helpful to your power of the engine right? Well, i know our cats need a little rich exhaust gas to help catalyze the exhaust gases into Nox and Co2 and Co and whatnot, but a flame, i dont know. To be honest, I really dont think its meant to do that. :)

pip
03-11-2004, 09:13 AM
well u could call pacesetter ask them what bolts they use or ask someone and go out and buy them i gaurantee u they're probably from canadian tire or what ever equivalent u have in the U.S.

ask someone on the board

od2681
03-11-2004, 11:32 AM
yeah i got that crap fixed....but still worried bout the flame stuff...hmmm...has this kinda thing hapend to anyone else..like fire out the exhaust manifold.....to be honest, really loooked cool..but sounded like ass

Justin86
03-11-2004, 11:42 AM
Yea that happend to me once, the blue flames look hella sweet at night!:D
Did you remove the washers form the bolts or anything, thats might have caused it to come loose.

k-roy
03-11-2004, 12:10 PM
Ok what you need is a new gasket, 14mm bolt, LOCK washers and 2 Nuts.
When I installed my pacesetter I used new bolts without lockwashers, about 2 days later the header was about a 1/2" away from the head. So I had to run and get some lockwashers. Be sure to use anti-seize compound on the threads as well, it makes removing it 2 years down the road 10x easier.

Moodybluesr
03-11-2004, 02:24 PM
i know by experience. All 14mm bolts taken from the car and the nuts for the 14mm studs are all of the same thread within the 3g. Well, i built my car from bare frame and i know it for a fact so dont call it BS my man. U want proof, well pay a visit to one of our NJ meets and i will gladly show you.

i know not every 14mm bolt head have the same width studs. but its comman sense man. U pick thru the bolt u want :werd:

So what you are saying is that any bolt with a 14mm head from a 3g Accord will be the correct length, thread pitch, heat range, and strength grade to hold together the two sections of an AFTERMARKET header? :bs:

Not trying to start an arguement here; just trying to save od2681 from having to deal with broken off bolts in his header. :rolleyes:

smufguy
03-11-2004, 03:02 PM
I not talking about stud bolts, but look at ur 14mm bolts of your seats. See how they look like? nice and thick, not too long, but nice and thick right? those bolts are pretty strong. They are some kinda steel and they are coated to prevent rust so its no biggie. Its much easier to find a long stud 12mm bolt from our 3g than a 14mm, but yeah any 14mm bolt with a matching lock nut should withstand the heat and vibration. They are the same pitch and thread side.

I know what you mean, i know u ask this to double check, but yeah its true. When i got my DX from Chris (civtek) and his was a dx and did not have the fold down seats, but now, it does and the pivots are held on by four 14mm bolts with lock nuts on em. After all these times and having the seat folded down and had stuff on it it never even flinched.

The heat is not that great cause the after market headers are of mild steel rather than cast iron which means they dissipate heat real fast. and the flanges hear the 4-2 pipe is pretty wide enough to dissipate heat so the bolt aint gonna fail.

but if its an uncomfortable situation, then like someone mentioned, they can call up Pacesetter and order the bolts. Trust me, they might look fancy, but nothing different.

Note: Well seems like he fixed his problem and Kroy mentioned the same thing.

Anyway, You guys get flames outta ur headers??? Dman.... i guess i just dont see it :D

Burban88
03-11-2004, 08:01 PM
don't worry about flame from exhaust, it's normal

HondaBoy
03-11-2004, 08:30 PM
did one of y'all say you built your car from the bare frame? i thought our cars were mono body. not like a blazer or other truck or car that can have the body lifted off the frame. anyway, i'd say thats quite possible to see a flame come out. the closer you get the the head where the exhaust comes out the more likely you see flames. i dont remember why, think its the exhaust gasses. my friends 300ZX dose that when he has open headers. i'd say you would want to get that thing sealed up good. if you can get the new bolts, if not weld it at a good muffler shop. only thing that might happen is power loss from low back pressure, easily fixed when its sealed up.

Darkside
03-11-2004, 09:01 PM
The flames are normal if you disconect your exhaust from your header you'll be able to blow flames out the bottom of the header.

TWOLOUDNPROUD
03-11-2004, 10:09 PM
Take a pic of it i want to see that

smufguy
03-11-2004, 11:14 PM
did one of y'all say you built your car from the bare frame? i thought our cars were mono body.

That would be me :D. A monocoque body is still the frame of the car. Its minus the trunk, doors, fenders, hood, bumpers, brackets, suspension components and everything. Well, to say the least, the car sat there with no engine, no interior, no gas tank or exhaust and nothing but just what is the monocoque body (Frame) on four jack stands for almost a month and a half.

dXsquared
03-12-2004, 10:07 AM
jesus... i guess no one has heard of overlap.. the exhaust valves are open for a fraction of a second during the power stroke... thats how the flame got out... esp right at the head like that

Travis

smufguy
03-12-2004, 10:18 AM
I thought he said it was near the 4-2 joint. I did not know it was near the head :(

88ebrake
05-05-2004, 07:09 PM
does anyone have a pacesetter catback or know if they are any good please tell me

lightbulblxi
05-05-2004, 07:28 PM
its junk. i have one, it started to rust in like 2 months. plus it comes with a restrictive muffler. it would be cheaper to get a muffler off ebay and go to a muffler shop and have them weld in 2.25" piping. i put on an ebay muffler and cut off the pacesetter one. but ever since i put on the cat back, my cars sprays hella water. i dont know if it is because of it tho.

NeubJ
05-05-2004, 09:41 PM
Buy a Magnaflow muffler and have them mandrel bend some pipe for you. Awesome sound and very noticeable performance increase.

smufguy
05-06-2004, 07:56 AM
Save the extra $200 u would put on a manderel bend cause they usually cost around $400+ for a mandrel bend cat back, unless u live in one of those places who charge you just $150 for it. ANyway, if ur running a NA motor with normal mods like cams, exhaust and intake and the usual gimmicks, Just get a 2.25" Press bend (not the crinkle bend) catback and you will not notice any difference since you are not pushing much hp. You are not gonna loose any major hp either, maybe (a biggggg maybe) 1hp if you ask me.

modu03
05-12-2004, 12:12 AM
uh... I have had the pacesetter cat-back for two and a half years, with just a little bit of rust forming on the inside of the chrome tip.

It is a noticeable gain over stock power, and sounds great, kinda like a little muscle car.

I don't know why people have had so many problems with the pacesetter exhaust, I have had no trouble, and felt a gain in power.

as far as my experience goes, you should go with pacesetter

88ebrake
05-13-2004, 08:07 AM
sweet well i hope it works good im gettin it for 125 so its not to bad i dont guess i would like to get a shop to do it for me but round here they will rape u that is why i was gonna get the catback

BigLem504
05-13-2004, 01:51 PM
i have one there is some increase in power but i kinda dont like the sound of the muffler so im going to cut it off and put a universal muffler by doing that ill probably get more out of it as for rust i cant tell ya ive had mine for 3 months tho no rust yet in my opinion i think it depends where u live at if u live near saltwater or it snows a lot im in new orleans the only thing we have is hurricannes and flooding i havent been going through water but this is the month we suppose to have 4 inches of rain tonight but i run for high ground when it really comes down hope this helps

NeubJ
05-13-2004, 08:14 PM
i have one there is some increase in power but i kinda dont like the sound of the muffler so im going to cut it off and put a universal muffler by doing that ill probably get more out of it

Go with a magnaflow muffler decent price 56 bucks with free shipping. The sound is very nice and kinda loud. Not loud like those canister mufflers.

BigLem504
05-14-2004, 08:07 AM
Go with a magnaflow muffler decent price 56 bucks with free shipping. The sound is very nice and kinda loud. Not loud like those canister mufflers.

cool thanks for the info

88ebrake
05-15-2004, 06:12 PM
what is the pacesetter muffler not louder than stock

BigLem504
05-16-2004, 09:48 PM
its louder but it kinda sound like a tuned bad factory muffler damn oohhh like when a muffler goes bad its sounds like someone is farting alright take that sound and tune it juuust a little and there you have the pacesetter muffler its not to agressive sounding but ive been setting off car alarms in my hood but i want something a little more agressive i mainly bought it for the pipes and i planed to chop the muffler off when i complete the entire exhaust(header and hi flow cat)

88ebrake
05-17-2004, 10:24 AM
just straight pipe the cat it will sound alot better if u dont have emmisions damn im glad i dont

extinctaccord
05-17-2004, 10:48 AM
ok so i want a new exhaust....i saw the pacesetter and i know this sounds stupid but will it fit all 3geez. it said that it only fits 2.0L....i dunno if it will fit mine or not....i have a 89 dx hatch....please help......thanks

Vinny
05-17-2004, 10:49 AM
won't fit the hatch, only coupes and sedan. The exhaust length is different

Mike's89AccordLX
05-17-2004, 11:00 AM
I suggest going to your local muffler shop and having them make you a custom 2.25" exhaust system. You will be much happier this way. And since the pacesetter one won't fit this is your option.

-Mike

88ebrake
05-17-2004, 07:29 PM
i got the dc sports one on the way

88ebrake
05-17-2004, 07:30 PM
and if anyone has a dc sports down pipe tell me please

ivanfbi
08-14-2004, 01:47 AM
what is the lowest price i can get it for? give links please, sorry if i sound stupid, but the lowest i found, was like $180 blaxk painted one....wtf

accordlxi2.0
08-14-2004, 09:17 AM
jcw.com has em for $149. once i get back on my feet and start working again i was thinking about getting one myself.

Justin86
08-14-2004, 09:43 AM
hum a header...... now who could make one of those? wait I know I just bought a pipe bender and I could wip something up for ya like a one peice 4-2-1 header with flex pipe and ceramic coated.......:D

accordlxi2.0
08-14-2004, 11:50 AM
your shitting us right??

jonrichert
08-14-2004, 01:19 PM
damn, i'd be willing to buy one off you uncoated if the price is right

88Accord-DX
08-14-2004, 02:10 PM
Post a new thread about them headers, show some pics. (Justin) ,when you make some.That sounds cool.

ivanfbi
08-15-2004, 04:38 PM
Hey, Justin, I would buy it from you, if its not so expensive, rather than form some companies.

k-roy
08-16-2004, 11:58 AM
where is pacesetter?
2841 W. Clarendon Ave.
Phoenix, AZ 85017

ivanfbi
08-16-2004, 12:07 PM
where is pacesetter?
2841 W. Clarendon Ave.
Phoenix, AZ 85017
IS IT YOUR adress???? i am comin...lol

Boardcoach
08-16-2004, 06:37 PM
jcw.com has em for $149. once i get back on my feet and start working again i was thinking about getting one myself.

WHERE?
I cant see them anywhere? I hate www.Jcw.com its so comfuzamajiging!!!
let me know where this is i will buy! :)

i.c.
08-16-2004, 07:01 PM
IS IT YOUR adress???? i am comin...lol

not even close.. that's the real pacesetter adress..k-roy lives in the ghetto... :rolleyes:

k-roy
08-16-2004, 08:17 PM
not even close.. that's the real pacesetter adress..k-roy lives in the ghetto... :rolleyes:
Ha, you've never seen my place. Its not as bad as the place you went to, not by a long shot.

mudslingercuda
08-26-2004, 06:38 PM
[B]i just got the pacesetter complete exaust header all the way back for $ 500.00. i hope it sounds as good as it look's! i hope to have some pics after it's done but money is tight !

AccordAddict
08-26-2004, 06:50 PM
are you installing it yourself? if not, its gonna cost you like and extra hundred or two to get it installed at a shop.

NeubJ
10-09-2004, 10:45 AM
I just wish I could of bought a DC from a few members who didnt use theirs anymore. :crying:
I have a pacesetter header and I am planning on welding in a flex pipe. Im just wonder what size should I go with. Basically length wise. Just enough to replace the joint or longer? Will this have any effect on peformance?

Also I recently seen a member who had pics of a flex pipe welded and had some dyno numbers but cant find the thread. Anyone?

BTW-- What is the diameter of the stock flex pipe and down pipe?

Klue
10-09-2004, 11:34 AM
in my opinion, i would go mate the flex pipe with the exaust size, if ur planning on getting a 2.5 inch exaust wait and do the whole system 2.5, you dont want to bottleneck the system as that will restrict the flow.

Vinny
10-09-2004, 02:32 PM
you probably could have bought mine if you'd asked, for the right price of course

A20A1
10-09-2004, 02:37 PM
HEADER FAQ THREAD, CLICK HERE (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37261)

BITESIZE
10-12-2004, 06:31 PM
Does anybody know the gasket # that goes on the downpipe? I ordered the G7250 # and they sent me the head/header gasket.

nswst8
10-12-2004, 06:42 PM
You might want to call them instead of trying to rely on some "it should be's"
Good luck

BITESIZE
10-12-2004, 10:20 PM
I already fuckin told the dumbass on the phone when I was ordering the gasket, and they still sent me the wrong one......I'm probably going to just make my own gasket.

Justin86
10-13-2004, 07:32 AM
go to an exhaust shop and get one that is a close fit. I got one and just had to change two of the holes.

BITESIZE
10-14-2004, 03:52 PM
Do you remember what it went to justin?

Justin86
10-18-2004, 07:28 AM
no, they should have a book with different gaskets, and just bring in your old one to match it up.

dXsquared
10-18-2004, 10:17 AM
i believe it was a volvo gasket.. BEST BET... and i did it... buy some MR.Gasket exhaust gasket material.. take the stainless mesh from the old gasket and trace it onto the gasket paper and make your own... make 2... then glue em togehter with orange hi temp silicone... let it dry... throw in on the car.. use lock washers or stover nuts instead of nylocks.. thats why the gasket blew.. the nuts loosen up...

Travis

hondamanlxi
10-18-2004, 12:55 PM
dx, your so smart, i couldnt said it any better! Just make sure you use the GOLD rtv.

snow_man_20
12-30-2004, 06:53 AM
I bought my 89 lxi last month and i'm thinking about putting a pace setter exaust on. Any one have experince with pace setter, how it sounds, performance, and/or if it uses all the old mounts?? It seems pretty cheap so i'm kinda leary. please help

buzzbomber88lx
12-30-2004, 05:35 PM
If you would have done a search you would find people that like and hate pacesetter...
pros:
cheap
better than stock to an extent

cons:
not very good quality in the welds and material used
rattles like a mofo
fitment isnt always the best
etc.

I know that their headers are trash usually I dunno much about their exhaust systems

snow_man_20
12-30-2004, 11:05 PM
thank you for the heads up, i'm new to the site and couldn't seem to find any info on it. I'm going look at more options on exhaust.

3gn86lxi
12-30-2004, 11:19 PM
HHmmmm. not many options when it comes to exhaust. You either do pacesetter, or you do d.c. sports. Which is $$$$$$. But if you got it, buy it cause d.c. doesn't make a header anymore, so you are going to pay whatever someone wants to charge you!!
Good luck :alc:

A20A1
12-31-2004, 01:43 AM
I think a good exhaust shop could make you a nice setup for around the same price as a cat back or cheaper, and it will last longer.

buzzbomber88lx
12-31-2004, 08:00 AM
ya go along with what a20a1 said and just go to a good muffler shop and have them bend you a 2.25" exhaust from the manifold back with a good hi-flo cat and nice muffler at the exit. If the shop can, have them custom make you a header....if not then ask around at machine shops.

AccordNut
12-31-2004, 10:43 AM
i just put a pacesetter exhaust on a few months back, its OK for the most part, it has a nice sound to it (partly b/c i have the dc header and wpn r intake) but it does rattle a bit which is kind of annoying. For my car it has somewhat of a deep ripping tone which is what i like. But if i had my choice now id try a custom setup with a top brand named muffler

buzzbomber88lx
12-31-2004, 04:21 PM
i just put a pacesetter exhaust on a few months back, its OK for the most part, it has a nice sound to it (partly b/c i have the dc header and wpn r intake) but it does rattle a bit which is kind of annoying. For my car it has somewhat of a deep ripping tone which is what i like. But if i had my choice now id try a custom setup with a top brand named muffler
I had a friend that has a 240 that had the pacesetter system on it and it had the same tone but it was kinda quiet for being a "performance" system so we took the resonator out and it sounded pretty good.....he took it off tho and got an hks dragger :thumbup:

2ndgenludedude1986
12-31-2004, 09:23 PM
i think teh exhasut is pretty damn good for the price. my ahngers where all perfect. the mufflers are shit. but for the piping oyu cant beat it. headers are shit. im lucky enoguh to ahve a lightspeed header that i found.

gekko
01-01-2005, 03:34 PM
i need a header and pacesetter must be better than the stock one ?
so where is the best place to buy one , i live in Norway so the shipping cost is a factor here
if someone has a used header , i got the cash

buzzbomber88lx
01-01-2005, 05:21 PM
is the piping mandrel? I forgot and dont want to look :D

buzzbomber88lx
01-01-2005, 05:22 PM
nopi
ebay
jcw
summit

pacesetter headers are shit tho ;)

88accordalltheway
01-01-2005, 06:53 PM
yeah try ebay

2ndgenludedude1986
01-01-2005, 09:19 PM
yea it is.

thegreatdane
01-02-2005, 03:20 AM
pacesetter headers are shit tho ;)

Performance wise, no one has actually ever proved the DC Sports over the Pacesetter.

Justin86
01-02-2005, 08:46 AM
your better off with something else, get a custom one or something. I hate my pacesetter sooooooo much.

gekko
01-02-2005, 08:54 AM
how much would a custom one cost me , and who makes them , remember i live in norway and honda tuning is not a big thing here ..
i'm ready to use like 300 something on a header , so if anyone would make a good one ???

just going to buy myself a colt cam , so with a new header should be better

buzzbomber88lx
01-02-2005, 09:41 AM
how much would a custom one cost me , and who makes them , remember i live in norway and honda tuning is not a big thing here ..
i'm ready to use like 300 something on a header , so if anyone would make a good one ???

just going to buy myself a colt cam , so with a new header should be betteractually the best way to open up a cams potential is with head work and oversize valves ;)
also about not proving a dc sports over the pacesetter....I dunno about on an a20(since I only have a block and some other parts left of it), but I have seen a 5.0 with pacesetter headers on it blow the welds on 3 of the cylinders tubes right off the flange....threw on a set of bbk's and it made a hella difference in power as well as quality

buzzbomber88lx
01-02-2005, 09:43 AM
well doesnt bosal/brospeed make exhaust piping for your cars?

2ndgenludedude1986
01-02-2005, 05:33 PM
i know they dont for my lude, but i dont think they make it for the accords either. there quality isnt way too much higher than paceshitter. pacesetter*

buzzbomber88lx
01-02-2005, 07:29 PM
lmao paceshitter :D

Hash_man_Se_i
01-03-2005, 04:25 AM
I have had the pacesetter on my car for a while now, and I think its holding up pretty well, especially with all the shit they put on the roads for winter here.i havent had a single rattle and mine sounds eally good. I although put a remus muffler on instead of the shit ass pacesetter... I sold that to a friend, lol.

Justin86
01-03-2005, 08:20 AM
go custom :D

2ndgenludedude1986
01-03-2005, 04:32 PM
yea, i jsut ordered a magnaflow to replace my shitty muffler.

HKSdrift3r
01-03-2005, 06:41 PM
While on the subject of Pacesetter, is the short shifter it makes any good?

HondaBoy
01-03-2005, 06:55 PM
wait, so are y'all talking about the cat back exhaust or the header from pacesetter. i think its a waste of money to buy the cat back from pacesetter, as for a header, that would be more worth the money. i went to a muffler shop to get a cat back put on to replace my rusty exhaust that was too small anyway. i think their short shifters are actually decent. i've heard only good things on the short shift kit from pacesetter.

HKSdrift3r
01-03-2005, 07:01 PM
excellent.. so the dc sports short shifter isnt really worth it?

HondaBoy
01-03-2005, 07:16 PM
the DC is a bit more than the pacesetter. i found fidanza short shifters, for the 88 and up civic, dont remember is the shifter was the same on the accord. i remember the pacesetter civic shifter was the same as the 3gee. but i dont remember what year. for the money, i'd say pacesetter from what i've heard. i'd wait for some other opinions though.

HKSdrift3r
01-03-2005, 07:28 PM
i believe only 84-87 civic shifter fit on our accords.. i checked on nopi and ebay and the pacesetter was the same when shipping was added.. meanwhile the dc sports shifter was only 6 bucks more :cool:

2ndgenludedude1986
01-03-2005, 08:12 PM
i have a pacesetter short shifter also. i liek it alout, especailly since its adjustable. shifts nice, and makes the shifintg more precise.

i woudlnt put a pacesetter header on my car if yo payed me. im just not a fan of there headers.

HondaBoy
01-03-2005, 10:33 PM
that was it, 84-87 civic shifter was the same as the 3gee. n/m about the fidanza one then. it was for newer civics, 88-00 i think.

snow_man_20
01-05-2005, 06:46 AM
Thanks for all the feedback I'm thinking of putting the pace setter header and then a exhaust from a shop. I think the extra $$ in the shop will be worth it. What do you think about the high flow cat on ebay for $50 shipped made by D TecH R (i think) any other sugestions on a high flow cat? Anyway it's all on the back burner for about a month. I just lost 2 injectors and almost my hole car when the two injectors split at the seem and started spaying gas going down the highway. To look on the bright side no fire and i found two new injectors the same day. I also desided to go for a full tune up timing belt water pump and fuel filter sence it was due and i was going to be under the hood anyway. almost $500 later she runs great but no new exhaust. P.S. I put the bosh 4 plugs in after test drive with old plugs to see any diffrence. A little more power but not worth 5.99 a plug.

Jay's89Lxi
01-05-2005, 06:40 PM
I ordered one of those "highflow cats" from them, I think their ebay user id is dtrsports or somethin like that. When I went to get my exhaust put on, the muffler shop wouldn't install it because they said it was practically a resonator which is illegal for them to install in place of a cat. They said it would be illegal to install it, but when I get my header back on i'll probably put it on or get a real high flow cat.

BITESIZE
01-06-2005, 06:54 PM
I give Pacesetter two thumbs up......you pay for what you get......I payed $190 ceramic coated and no problems after a year. :)

Mattphi
01-21-2005, 05:46 AM
I have been finding Pacesetter Headers for 160 shipped on Ebay...are they a good header? That seams like kind of cheap price.

SiR
01-21-2005, 06:05 AM
There must be millions of threads of people liking them and people hating them.

Vanilla Sky
01-21-2005, 06:22 AM
i'm storing a car equipped with one... i can show you what happens when they get used...

EricW
01-21-2005, 07:42 AM
When i bought one off ebay i just contacted the seller to see how much they could get the armor coated one for and it was a decent price $259.95 ( cheaper than buying direct) so i got the armor coated on since it will last longer and should never rust.

Vanilla Sky
01-21-2005, 08:18 AM
yes, if you get a pacesetter, spend the extra money and have it factory armour plated, or have it jet-hot/swaintech coated... it's worth it in the long run

miss_accord
01-26-2005, 10:25 AM
On the 88-89 Accord Lxi, there is a header pipe (two pipes) connected to the flex pipe, can one just use the first stage or flange w 4 pipes from the Pacestter header & atached it to the stock header pipe?

The lxi stock exhaust manifold, looks like a header, with its runners, is there much of performance gain by installing headers over stock lxi exhaust manifold?
In otherwords for the trouble & cost of installing a Pacestter header, how much performance will gain over the stock lxi exhaust manifold?

I was told that the stock lxi header pipe is 309 stainless steel w flex joint vs mild steel on the Pacesetter header & crappy ball joint.

I am running 2.25" 309 ss pipe with Magnaflow Cat & muffler. I would welcome any comments or feedback, thx! :rice:

Oldblueaccord
01-26-2005, 12:03 PM
On the 88-89 Accord Lxi, there is a header pipe (two pipes) connected to the flex pipe, can one just use the first stage or flange w 4 pipes from the Pacestter header & atached it to the stock header pipe?

The lxi stock exhaust manifold, looks like a header, with its runners, is there much of performance gain by installing headers over stock lxi exhaust manifold?
In otherwords for the trouble & cost of installing a Pacestter header, how much performance will gain over the stock lxi exhaust manifold?

I was told that the stock lxi header pipe is 309 stainless steel w flex joint vs mild steel on the Pacesetter header & crappy ball joint.

I am running 2.25" 309 ss pipe with Magnaflow Cat & muffler. I would welcome any comments or feedback, thx! :rice:

Well only the dyno or 1/4 mile slip knows.

I cant see much. Our exhaust manis are very well design as are most Hondas. Yeah its really a cast iron header.
Maybe a few ponies up in the upper range but at a loss down low in the RPM band. All the dyno sheets I have seen are this way.

I been reading up on Jackson Racing superchargers and they have alot to say about cams and headers. They said they cant find a set of cams that make more power than stock ones so far on the B18 motors.

Youll find here most say go for it but I'd like to see a dyno graph with it.

The other negatives are high underhood heat, noise, (price too) since there not think cast iron but light wieght steel.

wp

shepherd79
01-26-2005, 01:00 PM
the answer is NO. you can't just bolt new manifold to stock downpipe.

miss_accord
01-26-2005, 11:00 PM
the answer is NO. you can't just bolt new manifold to stock downpipe.

SURE....USE THE STOCK EXHUAST MANIFOLD FLANGE & WELD IT ON TO THE PACESETTER HEADER..........& THEN CONNECT TO THE STOCK HEADER PIPE

Oldblueaccord
01-27-2005, 12:29 AM
Q: Do Chip and Cam upgrades help with the Supercharger? Back to Top
A: These upgrades are not recommended. Chips are made for Normally Aspirated engines and the fuel map is manipulated to make the car run leaner and the timing curve is slightly advanced as well. Both of these can and will be detrimental to any forced induction car. A fully programmable ECU along with larger injectors however is a different matter all together. We have tried a number of different cams in our applications as well and have never found anything better than the stock cams. We have tried Type R cams in our GSR and lost 10HP. We have tried GSR cams in a Type R and lost 10HP. In our Civic SI we have tried 3 different sets of cams and lost anywhere from 10-13HP. On one set however we were able to tune a 13HP loss to only a 3HP loss with cam gears and 3 hours on the dyno. There may be a set of cams out there that works but we have never found them

end quote

http://www.jacksonracing.com/CustomerService/Faq.aspx#horse

you may also not like what they say about GULP turbos :rolleyes:

snow_man_20
01-27-2005, 01:17 AM
That's a little bit of a shock, aftermarket cams no good huh :werd: , anyway stock manifold is not as good as a header right??

Oldblueaccord
01-27-2005, 01:41 AM
That's a little bit of a shock, aftermarket cams no good huh :werd: , anyway stock manifold is not as good as a header right??

Well they dont sell cams so you gotta take what they say with a grain of salt of course. But they do have like a whole bunch of dyno graphs.

My point:

Things is Honda motors are so effecient its hard to make any gains. Mr. Honda wasnt any fool he was a smart dude that built great cars. Slaping on a bunch of parts like its a Chevy 350 is prolly gonna get you broke and disappointed.

I never,never,never say dont try it but just dont be to upset when it makes alotta noise and not much else. Theres a science to headers look up A20's work he just posted up.

miss accord if you do it it be cool if you could like dyno the car before and after or maybe drag race it before and after something to give you an idea if its helping or not. Dyno's can tell you alot how your car is running even if its running lean or rich if the wideband O2 sensor it like they should. There also G-tech meters that can be had pretty cheap if you dont have a track near you. Goodluck hope it works out.

wp

miss_accord
02-11-2005, 03:43 PM
U have to spend $$$, but u can USE an FLEXPIPE TO ELIMINATE RATTLE ON the PACESETTER. I plan to use a 2.25 or 2.5 " flex pipe tp replace the third Pacestter header pipe. The collector r only 2", though.

I have a ss 2.25 "exhaust with hi flow cat (meow) & muffler installed already.

mag_pbg
02-17-2005, 01:43 PM
Hey, got my pacesetter header last night and today I started stripping it, I plan on painting with Dupli Colors 1200 degree ceramic paint and then curing it in my oven to make sure it lasts. my question is, can I bolt it onto my stock exhuast for now or will I have to get bigger exhuast pipe, I have the stock size on there now I think it is like 1.5 inch but plan on 2 1/4.

BITESIZE
02-17-2005, 02:24 PM
Should bolt straight onto your cat, mine did. But I'm not running a cat, my pacesetter came with a test pipe and bolted onto my exhaust pipe going to the back.

danronian
02-18-2005, 07:20 AM
Don't cure it in your food cooking oven or your going to be smelling chemicals, and tasting them, every time you cook. You could probably get it to cure properly with it on the car, I have seen in Car Craft once they did that and it worked with just running it on the car. Be sure to clean it well with a paint-prep/degreaser before painting it b/c that stuff if very picky about what it sticks to. When spraying it be sure to listen to the instructions about one very light coat and then one or two thick coats. The stuff is really thin paint so runs are real easy to get if you don't get that first coat thin and tacky before laying it on.

bobafett
02-18-2005, 08:59 AM
it will bolt to stock cat, dont even sweat it. when i installed pacesetter headers into ambers car the bracket that is supposed to support the header was not even close to fitting, so i had to remove the accords exhaust bracket to allow room for the header, other than that it was a bitch to get the EGR in but there was no serious problems, if you have a helper for a short time u can knock this out in an hour or so even if its your first time doing it...

good luck, u will have a totally different car after this mod (depending on what mods you have now)

snow_man_20
02-18-2005, 10:41 AM
Don't cure it in your food cooking oven or your going to be smelling chemicals, and tasting them, every time you cook.

:lol: yeah dude you don't want to do that.

mag_pbg
02-18-2005, 11:59 AM
Thanx for the advice, I won't bake it in the oven. I won't have to worry about the EGR since I don't have it anymore. I hope it gives me some power, I have enough air coming into my motor with the new head cam and everything port matched, but I can tell it isn't getting enough air out of the motor.

1988starter
02-18-2005, 07:47 PM
You may want to try to reweld or reinforce the flat plate on the top that allows it to bolt near the cross member it has broken on a few of our headers

mag_pbg
02-24-2005, 10:25 AM
I know it has been several days but I finally got the header on and painted. I guess I must have left some oil or grease on the header or I didn't cure it right but the high temp paint burnt off, so I will prob. just ceramic coat it. But anyways after I put that on and went to bolt it up to my cat. I found out that the nuts to the cat were welded on so I had to drive open header to my school so I could cut the nuts off, then I couldn't get the hangers to get back except one. While I was driving to school, the exhuast dropped and was scrapping the ground so I did what I thought could be done in the situation, I tied it with a clothes hanger and went to the muffler shop. I had all new 2.25 pipe put on, a new flex pipe to replace pacesetters ball joint, a new cat and a flowermaster 30 series. Let me tell ya, my baby sounds mean now at idle it has a nice deep bellow to her but once you get on the gas it just screams, not to mention it runs so much quicker now, im almost done with the project the only thing left to buy is the MSD6 ignition.

danronian
02-24-2005, 02:34 PM
You won't be able to get a rusted plain-steel header ceramic coated, only when they are non-rusty and new. Don't worry about it though, if you don't want to see the rusty pipe in the engine bay just get some of that header-pipe heat covering stuff for the pipes you see in the bay. It would also help to keep the heat in the engine bay down, I'm pretty sure it is only $40 for a 4 cylinder, much cheaper than ceramic coating.

miss_accord
03-01-2005, 12:48 PM
You won't be able to get a rusted plain-steel header ceramic coated, only when they are non-rusty and new. Don't worry about it though, if you don't want to see the rusty pipe in the engine bay just get some of that header-pipe heat covering stuff for the pipes you see in the bay. It would also help to keep the heat in the engine bay down, I'm pretty sure it is only $40 for a 4 cylinder, much cheaper than ceramic coating.

U will have to get it sandblasted inside & out, then ceramic coated inside & out, use a small brush & apply 4 oz of Black Satin ceramic coating, and finally bake the headers at 500 'F for 60 minutes. U will be proud to serve.

I like my headers a little on the pink moist inside, so I just bake for only 45 minutes. http://www.3geez.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=495317#
Uh

A20A1
03-01-2005, 01:21 PM
Don't cure it in your food cooking oven or your going to be smelling chemicals, and tasting them, every time you cook.

Well it goes away :D but yeah my pizza's tasted funny for a while.

racerx
03-09-2005, 11:44 AM
I like my headers medium-rare, so I only left em on the grill for about 5 minutes. :D j/k

And why in the world would you ceramic coat your headers on the inside??? Wouldn't that just create friction, as well as less space for the air to move through?

danronian
03-09-2005, 12:46 PM
I like my headers medium-rare, so I only left em on the grill for about 5 minutes. :D j/k

And why in the world would you ceramic coat your headers on the inside??? Wouldn't that just create friction, as well as less space for the air to move through?
If you don't ceramic coat the headers on the inside they just rust out from the inside out. I had some old header on my malibu that were actually rust free on the outside but were rusted all the way through from the inside.

Vanilla Sky
03-09-2005, 05:02 PM
also, it keeps the header from getting heatsoaked... if you're havnig it coated, do both the inside and out...

racerx
03-11-2005, 10:50 PM
If you don't ceramic coat the headers on the inside they just rust out from the inside out. I had some old header on my malibu that were actually rust free on the outside but were rusted all the way through from the inside.

huh. I guess I never thought about it like that. I suppose the humidity in the air could cause that over a long period of time. Maybe not so long.
How long do you think it would take a piece of iron to show significant rust in a generally non-humid evironment with no direct exposure to water? (say, in colorado)

I can see what that would be good.

Btw, I know this is going to sound ignorant, but I'll ask anyway. What exactly is heat soaking? I hear it a lot referring to stock intercoolers that just can't get the job done at higher boost settings. I always thought it just meant the intercooler wasn't cooling anymore.

Vanilla Sky
03-11-2005, 10:59 PM
where the metal gets hot, then transfers heat back into the air when it gets a cool(er) charge... metal expands when it's heatsoaked, too...

pheneolic spacers are made to keep (intake) manifolds from getting heatsoaked from heat transfer from the hear (they also add a bit of runner length)...

racerx
03-12-2005, 11:14 AM
I'm still not sure what it means. It seems to me you just explained how a radiator/intercooler works...

Vanilla Sky
03-12-2005, 06:39 PM
yes, but a hot intake manifold can heat the air up, too... i'm just all for keeping the engine bay as cool as possible... that's the big reason i'd coat the inside, too... then rust as a second reason

miss_accord
03-20-2005, 08:16 PM
if u want to spend the time, very sloppy welding, the welds on the flange to the exhuast head ports, need filing to make it even, u will have to match the exhuast ports with the flange gasket by using a grinding stone................the diameter of the secondary ports are 1 3/4 "............the pipe attaching the cat is 2"....the diameter of the stock header pipe is around 1 7/8"...I don't know, if this pacesetter header is any better than the stock exhaust manifold......anyone dyno ur accord before & after the pacesetter header ??? ??

A20A1
03-24-2005, 12:35 PM
What Is Pacesetter , Is It Any Good ?
Read this thread for member feedback on Pacesetter products ... any questions about pacesetter should be made in this thread.

Where is Pacesetter Located ?
Online at : PACESETTER.COM (http://www.pacesetterexhaust.com/)
PaceSetter Performance Products
P.O. Box 56397
Phoenix, AZ 85079-6397

Where do I buy Pacesetter Products ?
Online at : PACESETTER.COM (http://www.pacesetterexhaust.com/)

What Pacesetter Products Are Available For The 86 - 89 Accord ?

- Short Shifter
-- 1986-89 / Accord / Shifter Part# 01-0210
-- 1986-89 / Accord / Shifter Bushing Part# 01-9100

- Air Intake
-- For Accord Intake Use: 1990-93 / Integra / Part# 16-1001

- Cat-Back Exhaust System
-- 1986-89 / Accord / Cat-Back Exhaust Part# 88-1416

- 4-2-1 Header ( SE-I , LX-I , DX , LX )
-- 1986-89 / Accord / Uncoated Header Part# 70-1250
-- 1986-89 / Accord / Armor Coated Header Part# 72C1250

- High Flow Catalytic Convertor
-- 1986-89 / Accord / High-Flow Cat Part# 80-1600

How Do I Install My Pacesetter Product?
- How To , Install Header (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37261)
- Run a search if you are uncertain how to install other products.

Consider this the official Pacesetter thread.