PDA

View Full Version : Pacesetter : Intake , Short Shifter , Header , Cat Back Exhaust , High Flow Cat

Pages : [1] 2

88DXcoupe
06-09-2002, 07:42 PM
What Is Pacesetter , Is It Any Good ?
Read this thread for member feedback on Pacesetter products ... any questions about pacesetter should be made in this thread.

Where is Pacesetter Located ?
Online at : PACESETTER.COM (http://www.pacesetterexhaust.com/)
PaceSetter Performance Products
P.O. Box 56397
Phoenix, AZ 85079-6397

Where do I buy Pacesetter Products ?
Online at : PACESETTER.COM (http://www.pacesetterexhaust.com/)

What Pacesetter Products Are Available For The 86 - 89 Accord ?

- Short Shifter
-- 1986-89 / Accord / Shifter Part# 01-0210
-- 1986-89 / Accord / Shifter Bushing Part# 01-9100

- Air Intake
-- For Accord Intake Use: 1990-93 / Integra / Part# 16-1001

- Cat-Back Exhaust System
-- 1986-89 / Accord / Cat-Back Exhaust Part# 88-1416

- 4-2-1 Header ( SE-I , LX-I , DX , LX )
-- 1986-89 / Accord / Uncoated Header Part# 70-1250
-- 1986-89 / Accord / Armor Coated Header Part# 72C1250

- High Flow Catalytic Convertor
-- 1986-89 / Accord / High-Flow Cat Part# 80-1600

How Do I Install My Pacesetter Product?
- How To , Install Header (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=37261)
- Run a search if you are uncertain how to install other products.

1988starter
06-09-2002, 07:48 PM
Anyone out there have the pacesetter catback? How does it sound, perform, assemble. Pros and cons?

Well the peformance is ok the sounds would have been better if it did not rattle assebly is damn easy. The ugly 4 inch tip is just too damn big ugg makes you look like:huh: . Good things cheep mandrel bent tubes.. It was a good mod but later I decided to hack the muffler off and attach a dynomax one and a smaller more pleasing tip so I didn't go:barf: when I saw it and other people didn't say :rice:. But you can get it I did not mind it untill it rattled also I did not get the gaskets and bolts with it I had to call and complain to get them.

Jims 86LXI HB
06-09-2002, 08:03 PM
A con would be that you'll gain more horsepower with pretty much any cat-back/performance muffler you pick that you have a local muffler shop creates.

I have a Dynomax superturbo, stainless steel tip and a custom resonator back system that cost me all total, including install and all parts, $151

RyanLXi
06-09-2002, 08:08 PM
i had the pacesetter it lasted a year....but for that year it was alright

88DXcoupe
06-10-2002, 07:34 AM
So, all in all Pacesetter is a pretty crappy company with all these header and exh compaints?

Jims 86LXI HB
06-10-2002, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by 88DXcoupe
So, all in all Pacesetter is a pretty crappy company with all these header and exh compaints?

Well I think their are a much greater number of people that are using their header and are happy with it, yes some aren't happy. The pacesetter cat-back is a different story. The biggest things is that opposed to a header, you can easily make your own cat-back, for equal or lower the price. And you'll likely end up with more power gains that way, not to mention better build quality.

KRIX_Si
06-11-2002, 10:23 PM
I have a pacesetter catback if you want it. I bought a 88 lx for a parts car & it has one on it. I've got a fairly good exhaust already. I know he put it on last summer but car has been down for 6 months because the motor blew. I'm going to pull it off in a couple of days. If you want i'll take a pic for you. :super:

88DXcoupe
06-12-2002, 05:04 AM
How much for it?

1988starter
06-12-2002, 07:28 AM
You should buy it at thw worst even if the muffler sucks you get cheap mandrel bent pipes.

Sabz5150
06-12-2002, 08:15 AM
I love DC Sports' mandrel-bot. Slide in a piece of pipe, select the car, press a button and out pops an exhaust.

Pretty damn nifty. (Was in an issue of Honda Tuning)

-5150 :bandit:

POS carb
06-12-2002, 09:22 AM
a used one would be perfect because the muffler itself is a POS but the pipe is great for getting an aftermarket muffler welded on. I bought the catback b/c it was only $130 and I needed a muffler with no holes to pass the smog test and a midas "OEM style" replacement was like $90 but the tip was so big it would scrape everywhere until all the hitting/scraping broke the muffler inside and it rattled like crazy inside. I had a local shop chop it off and weld on a Hooker Aero Chamber muffler and Euro-style dual angle cut tips

KRIX_Si
06-12-2002, 10:14 PM
How's 50 bucks sound? I still need to pull it off. I'll throw in the cat and rubber hangers too. should be friday when i pull it off. I have no idea how much it will be to ship though.USPS has always been reasonable before.My E-mail is [email protected] just drop me some mail:D

RyanLXi
07-26-2002, 02:31 PM
DO YOU HAVE TO CAP OFF A LARGE THREADED HOLE IN THE PACESETTER HEADERS FOR AN 89 LXI? I BELIEVE IT IS THERE FOR AN AIR INJECTION SYSTEM BUT I AM NOT SURE I HAVE NOT LOOKED AT IT TOO MUCH.

Jims 86LXI HB
07-28-2002, 07:28 AM
I have never seen a pacesetter header with my own eyes so I can't tell you for sure. But I can tell you that if you do need plug any hole, that it will be threaded. It's really easy to fix. Since the part of the header that has the hole you need to fix is easy to carry aroung, just take it with you to a home depot or a lowes. Go to the pluming section that has metal pipe fittings. Look for metal PLUG fittings, find the one that fits and buy it. It's ok if it's not a super tight fit as long as it will seat down tightly when threaded all the way.

Next go to a auto parts store and look for where they carry adhesives or glues. Look for this stuff that you use to repair mufflers it should say its somekind of liquid metal. The key property of the stuff is that it will say it gets stronger with heat and it looks grey silver in color. Use it on the threads of the plug and install the plug tightly. Install the header and your done.

That's what I did when I had to plug a extra o2 sensor port on my DC Sports header, it worked perfect.

SQ is the SQUAD
08-20-2002, 08:39 PM
i got the short hifter from nopi today. the directions were so bad i did not know what the fuck they were talking about so i decided to just try to install it mysel with out the directions. i got the shifter on but it is madd stiff. i got the ball all the way to the top, is that why its so still. it also feels like the two shift rods are tuching....help!!!!!!

jteuton
08-21-2002, 09:39 AM
didn't i already run a post on this...........oh well

SQ is the SQUAD
08-21-2002, 11:17 AM
if you did, i havent seen itm it would help if you could link me

catalin
08-21-2002, 08:43 PM
When I had mine installed it was extremely stiff, but after a few days of using it loosened up considerably.

jlaccord89lxi
09-01-2002, 05:25 PM
I've read almost every thread about how people prefer the DC sports header over the pacesetter unit because of the quality and craftsmanship, but what about the pacesetter exhaust system that you can buy from several different performance parts sites? Has anyone tried this and have any feedback about it? Also, is there another readily available performance exhaust system out there somewhere that i haven't heard about? Thanks
sting

1988starter
09-01-2002, 05:32 PM
Pacesetter exhause is bad it sucks I had one and cut the rattling muffler right off put a dynomax super turbo on. Altho I love their header and highflow cat.

1988starter
09-01-2002, 05:33 PM
For a good exhaust a lot of people here like get a custom 2.25 inch mandrel bent pipe dynomax exhaust

smufguy
09-01-2002, 07:21 PM
yeah, dont get the whole exhaust from pacesetters. get just the headers and the hi-flo cat as ppl said. and get a custom 2.25 inch piping.

Jims 86LXI HB
09-01-2002, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by jlaccord89lxi
I've read almost every thread about how people prefer the DC sports header over the pacesetter unit because of the quality and craftsmanship, but what about the pacesetter exhaust system that you can buy from several different performance parts sites? Has anyone tried this and have any feedback about it? Also, is there another readily available performance exhaust system out there somewhere that i haven't heard about? Thanks
sting

This past summer Grass Roots Motorsports mag did a exhaust compairo. They picked a car this was simular to ours in displacement, tuning and rev range, a 1.8L 8Valve VW jetta. They went out and had a muffler shop make custom cat-back exhaust systems and the also tested a pacesetter exhaust system on the car as well. The pacesetter made the least power gains of all of them. The 3rd most powerfull was the Dynomax Super turbo setup, which btw it make more power than a bosal muffler.

toastyghost
09-01-2002, 08:31 PM
I'll be starting on my exhaust when I get the stereo upgrades done, probably late next week. I'm getting Pacesetter headers and re-coating them, probably a Ludespeed test pipe (yay!), custom 2-1/4" cat-back, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, and some generic slanted circle or oval style stainless tip. Can anyone recommend a muffler shop chain that does good performance exhausts? I'm probably going to call Meineke, Midas, and a couple local shops on Tuesday to try to get quotes.

anchovies
09-01-2002, 09:43 PM
Don't get the pacesetter catback. You'll be sorry.
I am!!:mad:

jlaccord89lxi
09-02-2002, 07:19 AM
is there a cheap place to find a dynomax cat-back system?

Experimental_Honda
09-02-2002, 07:23 AM
i got the pacesetter catback and ended up cutting off the muffler about 2 months later and putting a nakayama racing sports muffler with a 5 inch tip on.

Jims 86LXI HB
09-02-2002, 07:53 AM
is there a cheap place to find a dynomax cat-back system?

Hmmmm, this is almost a trick question. Dynomax does show a oem diameter cat-back system on their web site. I'd imagine that it would offer a ever so slight performance gain over stock. But since it does not have 2.25" piping nor does it have their Super turbo muffler it's not a performance cat-back system. For that you'll need to do what the magizine did in the test I talk about. You'll need to by a Dynomax Superturbo muffler(www.summitracing.com has the best price on them) and take it to a muffler shop that can create 2.25" piping for a custom cat-back. I got the muller and generic tip from summitracing including shipping for $60, then I had a shop make me the piping, cost $92, so $152 total cost. I've still got the system for sale in the market place:rolleyes:

87blueaccorddx
10-01-2002, 03:25 AM
Hey, i was wondering if anyone has put on a monza pacesetter exhaust system on their car and how it is, performance wise [aceleration, gained horse power] also i am thinking of replacing my catylic converter along with my exhaust manifolds to monza pacesetter exhaust manifolds, what kind of horsepower and acceleraton increase there would be thanx

hondadna
10-01-2002, 04:25 AM
Pacesetter sucks I got one 2 months ago and it gave me more power but it doesn't make that rice rocket sound looks good sounds bad save the money and get a Z wave from midaz for $200. my pacesetter was $170 from summit and it was a pane geting it on the cat so if you live some where where you don't need it remove it. the exhaust header was a good investment its about 20lbs lighter and looks great

POS carb
10-01-2002, 05:19 AM
the catback is a POS, I wouldn't recommend it, no noticable gain in power and it has a crappy position where it bangs/scrapes on semi-steep driveways and mine did that until it broke internally. Ripped it off and had a Hooker welded in.
It was kind of worth it for the pipe and I needed it to pass the emmissions test (factory unit looked like swiss cheese)

InfinityAudioLXi
10-01-2002, 07:14 AM
yeah i wouldn't get the pacesetter system, i have the pacesetter header and I will never buy pacesetter again. I like having the header and all, i mean the power is a lot better than stock but its make horribly! I've had mine for a year now and its already getting rusted through, that is my next weekend project to get rid of the rust and cut some peices out of my downpipe. I would just spend the extra money - trust me!

87blueaccorddx
10-01-2002, 07:30 AM
um ok so i shouldnt get the pacesetter system but they have a good header that is about 280, is that one crap too, if so wat is easy instillation that still is a good price that is good. also u saaid the pacesetter exhaust system is just bad sound, wat does it sound like then but wouold it be good for a first car tho, please help, glen

1988starter
10-01-2002, 07:55 AM
Their header and highflow cat are good but their exhaust sucks but the pipe works well with a dynomax muffler.

anchovies
10-01-2002, 06:53 PM
Don't get the catback, you'll regret it. I DID!!

iiviasterp
10-02-2002, 05:07 PM
i have pacesetter all the way back and i like it..... i bought the catback almost two years ago.... performance gains were minimal but then i cut the pacesetter muffler and welded on a stainless DTM and that opend things right up, then i got the ceramic header and i took the cat off and i love the sound and power. so if you want id say buy the catback... hack off the muffler and put on a stainless muffler, the header is also a good buy

flamed89
10-02-2002, 05:30 PM
i have a cat back on mine no noticable power gain it has a very mellow tone . been on my car for 2 years still in good shape but i'm going to get a universal muffler soon and weld that on. don't know anything about the cat or the header

Mantis88LX
10-18-2002, 12:06 PM
well im hearing shit about pacesetter makes headers specialy for us carbed guys. so how do i get it? just ask em when i call?

someone needs to clear this up and put it in the fag, if its not already there:toilet:

Neuspeed87lx
10-18-2002, 12:38 PM
in the fag? lol isnt the header that pacesetter makes for the 86-89 accord the same for the carb and fuel injected? just something has to be plugged on the header for the carb?

doug
10-18-2002, 12:42 PM
actually, the first I ever heard about pacesetter making a carb only header was from you in the thread about the one on ebay.
http://3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6928&highlight=pacesetter+ebay+header
if you go to the website, the information there lists a black paint model and a ceramic model for the 86-89 accord, no mention of efi or carb, if you go to websites of comapnies who sell the header,same thing, no mention of carb or efi. Since you stated in the above thread that there was a carb header, I would think you already know the answer to your question in this thread and would be able to clue us all in.

YK86
10-18-2002, 12:52 PM
That's what I thought. I know someone on the board was going around saying you need to tell them if you want a carb or EFI version but I'm 99% sure that is not true. Like mentioned, Pacesetter only makes one version that fits both (checked on their website and online).

dXsquared
10-19-2002, 12:07 PM
yah... te only diffs between the two is the pipes from the exhaust manifold. i was told they could be removed and pluged at the intake. is this true?

Travis

SQ is the SQUAD
10-21-2002, 09:47 AM
the only difference is that the headers come with 2 o2 sensor holes, the efi models use 2 o2 sensors but the carb models only use 1 o2 sensor so the other o2 sensor hole has to be pluged if you are gonna use the header on the car

smufguy
10-24-2002, 01:41 PM
its not the only difference. The carb has a egr and air suction pipe from the header. but the efi has just the egr and NO air suction pipe.

IF Pacesetter makes just one kinda header, then the problem is getting a stop bolt for the air suction hole when the header is used on a efi. That would suck cause any home department store like Lowes or homedepot dont sell stop bolts with that kinda threading. cause i did ask them and the guy looked at my sir suction pipe threading and asked me what it came out of cause he said the thread pattern is not the same as the one for domestic use. So, whats the truth?? Any efi guy with a pacesetter manifold?????

YK86
10-24-2002, 02:20 PM
If I am not mistaken, the Pacesetter comes with both holes for the air suction and EGR. The threading is probably like the oil pan bolt (all the guys call it pipe thread) and it's a thread pattern not used in normal bolts. But stores that sell industrial machine parts should have something that fits to block the hole. Or you can always weld it shut.

jlaccord89lxi
10-26-2002, 03:13 PM
check this out guys...no prices, but probably cheaper than Weapon*R

http://www.pacesetterexhaust.com/airfx.htm :werd:

iiviasterp
10-26-2002, 03:47 PM
gotta love pacesetter for atleast crankin out parts for our cars..... i know alot of people bash their catbacks and headers but like ive said a million times, i have both along with their short throw and i havnt had one problem with any of them. i give them mad props cause they atleast think there is a market for 86-89 accords

dXsquared
10-26-2002, 04:09 PM
the intake is 169.95... its on the site... u just need to look.

Travis

LIL'LXi
10-26-2002, 04:53 PM
yea it's $169 through pacesetter, so it should go down when aftermarket shops start selling them (hopefully). That price is not much better than a weaponR.

bobafett
10-26-2002, 08:34 PM
4 words.
modded - civic - intake - ebay

i still dont understand why the fuck anyone would pay for that shit.. you can buy a civic intake for like $40 online, and just hack a few inches off... :) its SOOOO easy....

staticpat
10-26-2002, 09:12 PM
more than 4 words
kn filter - flexible tubing - homemade adapter - lots of work - cheap

smufguy
10-26-2002, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by staticpat
more than 4 words
kn filter - flexible tubing - homemade adapter - lots of work - cheap

exactly

1. make ur own
2. make ur own
3. make ur own
4. make ur own
5. make ur own..........

you get the point. with the helpful faq-s and how-tos u can do anything.

mike_fx_u
10-27-2002, 03:59 AM
http://jdmfan.com/technical/performance/custom_intake/

3 words: make ur own

as stated above

check out link

get piping from jcwhitney.com
get k&n(or rip off brand if u prefer)from local speed shop or on ebay.
get rubber adapters from hardware store

think thats about it

Q. do you really think that u will increase hp by pulling in mass quanities of hot ass air.
A. no, so u do need a cold air set up

also if you remove your front fog light cover your filter will see a ram air type set up since the air is being pushed into that pocket
but you might want to put the cover back on in heavy rain conditions

For the love of god do whats right
Mike

Mike's89AccordLX
10-27-2002, 04:24 AM
Well I disagree with one thing on that page. When you make the holes in the intake pipe. I think you should do like the Intakes normally come. By sticking a hose in the intake it restricts air. But if you sodered a piece of metal tube onto the holes and then slide the rubber tubing around that, it would be better. And You will increase your hp by having a short ram intake. I'm not saying your wrong about the longer cold air intake. It will have more power, but the shorter intake works much better than a stock pipe. You also might want to put one of those foam things that let water into your system. I can't think of its name at this moment. I am with StaticPat. I made my own intake for about $30

ACCORD EX
10-27-2002, 04:33 AM
3 words !
check the HOW TO's

MIKE

Mike's89AccordLX
10-27-2002, 04:39 AM
Or ask someone that has made a custom intake before. Spend your money on a good performance mod. Buying aftermarket intakes = wasted money

mike_fx_u
10-27-2002, 07:24 AM
here people that think more hot air is better then less cool air

straight from k&n website and i think they know whats going on

"After three decades in the business, one thing we have learned is that air flow is a lot trickier than it might appear. For one thing, it's air, and the density of air varies with both the weather and altitude. That means there is literally more air in the same amount of space when the weather is cool than when it's hot. So one way to get a performance boost is to only drive in cold weather. Since air is variable, air flow claims in absolute terms are not meaningful"

Basically more air can be consumed if it is cold rather than hot even if the "mass" air flow is increased.

damn u
Mike

Jims 86LXI HB
10-27-2002, 10:31 AM
True cold air intake's VS. short ram test results :deal: http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8201

smufguy
10-27-2002, 10:51 AM
YEP, cold air intake is well worth the work.

staticpat
10-27-2002, 12:16 PM
unless your carbed :(

mike_fx_u
10-27-2002, 01:26 PM
guess i was wrong but CAI defenitly better

Mike

smufguy
10-27-2002, 06:58 PM
awwww come on static, u and mike did a really awsome job with an intake for ur carbs.

staticpat
10-28-2002, 05:31 AM
i meant the thing about cold air being better.

89AccordGSR
11-04-2002, 07:00 PM
Why doesnt anybody get the Cat-back exhaust for pacesetter?

flamed89
11-04-2002, 07:21 PM
i have one and i like. someone told me before i got it not to because they rust out fast. i've had mine for 2 years and i was just under my car this weekend and its still not rusting. its all in how far and how often you drive the car as to how fast it will rust. thats the only bad thing i've ever heard about it

netfreak
11-04-2002, 07:35 PM
I plan on getting one (probably) and cutting off their muffler and putting my own on. There's hardly any good car shops in my area so it would be easier to get pacesetter and either put it on myself or get someone else to install.

Grant2k
11-04-2002, 07:47 PM
why is this in the pictures forum?

1988starter
11-04-2002, 07:52 PM
I had one muffler rattled like crazy and the power gains were minimal. So I lopped off the muffler and attached a dynomax and havent looked back no more rattle and a healthy gain in power.

Jims 86LXI HB
11-04-2002, 07:56 PM
It's not worth buying because of it's build quality and because it doesn't make very much power at all. For about the same money you can have a muffler shop create a custom cat-back with a Dynomax Super turbo muffler and you'll make allot more power.

GrassRootsMotor sports magizine did a test where they took a car that was simular in displacement, rev range and tuning and dyno tested several different cat back combinations. One of those as the pacesetter, it made the least power of every system they tested. One of of the mufflers they tested was a Dynomax Super turbo that they had a muffler shop create as a cat-back system, didn't even have mandrel bends btw. It was the 3rd most powerfull, 2nd and 1st place didn't make much more power and cost allot more, 1st place had about .6 more hp. It was a thermal research rebuildable muffler.

Nate2310
11-04-2002, 08:15 PM
I have a pacesetter and I noticed a nice boost in acceleration, the only downside is the bitch is already rusting on the tip

anchovies
11-04-2002, 10:29 PM
My pacesetter starting rusting at the tip after 6 months, a year later the whole tip came off.

iiviasterp
11-05-2002, 07:34 AM
i have the pacesetter cat-back... and it was decent until i cut the pacesetter muffler off and welded on a stainless one instead... that really freed things up... i have had no problems with my exhaust, ive had it for two years now and it hasnt rusted whatsoever

hondadna
11-05-2002, 09:40 AM
I have one and it took 2 months for the tip to start rusting and it doesnt even sound good so I got a raven muffler put on the pipe at midas for 79.95 and it has all the sound and power we need

smufguy
11-05-2002, 02:34 PM
grant stop smokin pot man. :D :D :D

smufguy
11-05-2002, 02:34 PM
grant stop smokin pot man. :D :D :D its performance, not pictures forum.

jlaccord89lxi
11-05-2002, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Jims 86LXI HB

........one of of the mufflers they tested was a Dynomax Super turbo that they had a muffler shop create as a cat-back system, didn't even have mandrel bends btw. It was the 3rd most powerfull, 2nd and 1st place didn't make much more power and cost allot more, 1st place had about .6 more hp. It was a thermal research rebuildable muffler.

Jim.......I know mandrel bending is better, but i really can't see normal bends being that much worse, especially in a 2.25" pipe. I know what a mandrel bent piece of pipe looks like, and what a normal bent piece of pipe looks like. If you had 2 identical exhaust setups, with a dynomax super turbo (for instance), and one exhaust was mandrel bent and the other with normal bends, how much of a HP difference would there be with mandrel bending vs normal bending since exhaust flow restrictions through normal bends is very minimal?

PS: i'm really just trying to convince myself that i won't be dissapointed if i have to get normal bends in my exhaust.

socal3rdgen
11-05-2002, 05:33 PM
i would like to know this one 2. cuz jim i know you had just regular bends and i would like to know whats your inspiration as why mandrel is way better. well i guess my questions is the same is it way better or just a little extra pep. :D

Nate2310
11-10-2002, 09:00 PM
Everyone says pacesetter cat back systems are pos's but then again so are 3 gee accords

Jims 86LXI HB
11-10-2002, 09:41 PM

Jim.......I know mandrel bending is better, but i really can't see normal bends being that much worse, especially in a 2.25" pipe. I know what a mandrel bent piece of pipe looks like, and what a normal bent piece of pipe looks like. If you had 2 identical exhaust setups, with a dynomax super turbo (for instance), and one exhaust was mandrel bent and the other with normal bends, how much of a HP difference would there be with mandrel bending vs normal bending since exhaust flow restrictions through normal bends is very minimal?

PS: i'm really just trying to convince myself that i won't be dissapointed if i have to get normal bends in my exhaust.

Sorry I did not see this post when you did it on the 5th.

Mandrel bends are better because of it's smooth bends promotes exhaust gas flow. I don't know of anyone that compaired the power differance between the them. Maybe that's because different shops vary in their ability to do crimp bends, some shops do them really well, others smash the piping at every turn of the pipe a whole bunch and that's when your effecientcy goes down. All I can add is I could not find a shop that would do mandrel, I had to do crimp bends, hey I tried, but I didn't loose any sleep over it. If any of you can get mandrel I'd to it, I mean you might as well, if not, oh well

How much you benefit from mandrel is still a open question.

Jims 86LXI HB
11-10-2002, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Nate2310
Everyone says pacesetter cat back systems are pos's but then again so are 3 gee accords

Pacesetter cat back don't last for their owners and they don't show power gains on the dyno, 1.6hp.

And I'm sure that calling 3rd gen accords a pos will be well received on the site didicated to them:ego:

89AccordNate
11-10-2002, 09:58 PM
Hey Nate2310, keep up bitch boy, and we will have war. And you know what, you will be the one crying to your mommy!

Talk some more shit about our cars on OUR board and consider yourself banned, or let me refresh that....banished because every post you make, I will rape you down one side and up the other for being the dumb ass that you are.

Ill be hunting for your stupidity, oh wait, I already found it.

Nate.

1988starter
11-10-2002, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Nate2310

What a dick weed

87AccordsterLx
11-10-2002, 11:47 PM
first off.. Nate2310 this is the second time that I have told you to stop posting... anyone lacking the common sence to know that everyone on this board is a 3g owner, should know better then to post as impertinently as you do. Not to mention the fact that you premote your name as one with such a rude nature... which so happens to be shared by myself along with 89AccordNate... thats just not going to continue...

Now... I currently have a custom 2.25inch non-mandrel bent catback exhaust piping... Although I have no other sources to contrast the power gains of a similar setup with my own, I can say that the restrictiveness of non-mandrel bent piping is "visually" evident.

Here are a couple facts to help your decision...

The term mandrel bend is due to an actual "mandrel" which goes inside the tubing and is held by a mandrel rod to support the tubing at the tangent point of the bend. The mandrel is then extracted after the bend is complete or within the last few degrees of bending. This results in the tubing being the same diameter through the straight tubing as in the bend radius. So if you started with a 2" pipe and bent it into a 90 degree bend it is still 2" through the entire bend radius.
http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/mandrel20bending.jpg

Both pipes were cut in the middle of the bend... The mandrel bend offers up to 25% more flow than compression bent pipes.
http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/huth8.jpg

Once again non-mandrel bend above and mandrel bend below..
*note* (this is one of the better non-mandrel bends that I have seen)
http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/huth7.jpg

jlaccord89lxi
11-11-2002, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by 87AccordsterLx
Now... I currently have a custom 2.25inch non-mandrel bent catback exhaust piping... Although I have no other sources to contrast the power gains of a similar setup with my own, I can say that the restrictiveness of non-mandrel bent piping is "visually" evident.

Here are a couple facts to help your decision...

The term mandrel bend is due to an actual "mandrel" which goes inside the tubing and is held by a mandrel rod to support the tubing at the tangent point of the bend. The mandrel is then extracted after the bend is complete or within the last few degrees of bending. This results in the tubing being the same diameter through the straight tubing as in the bend radius. So if you started with a 2" pipe and bent it into a 90 degree bend it is still 2" through the entire bend radius.

:eek: Woah :eek: , thanks 87AccordsterLx, i think we all got a little bit smarter from your detailed description there. I've never seen a cross-section comparison of the 2 different pipe bending methods before. That picture really shows you how much of a difference there is between the two bends and how restrictive the non-mandrel bent piping looks to be. I agree with you that the non-mandrel bent pipe in the last picture is a very good bend. I've seen pipes that are severly crimped on the inside of the bend, and flattened out and stretched on the outside of the bend. If all normal bends were as good as the one in that picture, horsepower loss would be very minimal. When i get my exhaust done, i'm going to look very hard for a place that does mandrel bending. Thanks again 87AccordsterLx. :wave:

87AccordsterLx
11-11-2002, 10:52 AM
no problem... Glad I could help :)

Mantis88LX
11-16-2002, 11:38 AM
ordered the black pacesetter header from nopi yesterday, people that are waiting till december needs to go ahead and order. the customer service person said the wont have anymore in december. i dont know if he was bullshitting me or what. cant wait.

A20A1
11-16-2002, 12:53 PM
What was the total cost?

87AccordsterLx
11-16-2002, 01:19 PM
ya what was the price with ship. and all?

Mantis88LX
11-16-2002, 02:28 PM
around $166 - 170 range, not sure on the total yet.
parents ordered it as Christmas present so im not really sure

87AccordsterLx
11-16-2002, 02:52 PM
YOU LUCKY ASS!!!! hahaha I cant wait for this colt cam thing to go through and then get a pacesetter... damn its going to be awesome...

Y3G
11-17-2002, 02:32 PM
I ordered my thew a shop in my area.It was back ordered for about a month.Warning the black paint burns off like the first couple times you drive it.I hade to get mine sand blasted then I painted it with plasti-coat header paint.I painted it the blue color. It looks like the airmass compblue.

Mantis88LX
11-17-2002, 04:59 PM
yea im gonna stripp it and repaint before i put it on, too bad i dont get it till christmas,

meanaccord
02-04-2003, 06:33 PM
These seem to be the only ones available for our cars unless i am blind and cant find anymore. But i was wondering. How does the pacesetter catback sound. Does it rumble or pat. Or is it deep and sound good. I just dont want my car to sound like a chain saw on steroids, can anybody help?

dXsquared
02-04-2003, 06:37 PM
it has no sound... it sounds stock... get the cat back and a different muffler... a stainless BOMB muffelr sounds deep... and get it welded to the pacesetter pipes...

Travis

Chrome_thangs
02-04-2003, 08:09 PM
I was thinking about getting headers and a hi flow cat. Can i run just 2.25 pipe from the cat to my muffler instead of a catback system??

anchovies
02-04-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Chrome_thangs
I was thinking about getting headers and a hi flow cat. Can i run just 2.25 pipe from the cat to my muffler instead of a catback system??

What you described is already a catback system. The pacesetter is cheaper than to get a mandrel bend and weld it at the shop.
The pacesetter doesn't sound much louder than stock.

86AccordLxi
02-05-2003, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK
it has no sound... it sounds stock... get the cat back and a different muffler... a stainless BOMB muffelr sounds deep... and get it welded to the pacesetter pipes...

Travis

I disagree...i think that it's louder than stock and has quite a different note to it. You will def. hear a difference in sound (i.e. louder!) but not the biggest gain in performance. Jim will tell you that the Pacesetter makes less power than a custom catback from any muffler place, but I still felt a noticeable difference in the engine being able to pull in higher rpms. But the tip rusts quickly, so I had a stainless stell muffler welded on to the pacesetter piping, as many members have done.

Alex

Whitehonda
02-05-2003, 05:58 AM
The bottom line is if you are going to get the Pacesetter, it is a must to cut off the pacesetter muffler and add one of your own. I did it with a stainless borla muffler and let me tell you, it is plenty loud!!!! Pacesetter is a good deal if you use it for the pipes only, but their muffler sucks.

Cameron

1988starter
02-05-2003, 08:55 AM
I thought is was nice and loud not obnoxious and not a long wet fart but is was loud enough so you don't look like a little shit trying to make your car sound more agressive than it ever will be.

2Fast_Fiero
02-05-2003, 08:07 PM
What is the use of cutting off the muffler? Whats the use of buying that exhaust if your going to cut off the muffler, thats the most expencive part of the exhaust. If you want loud, just cut off your stock muffler and throw on a cheap but good looking and sounding 3A Racing muffler like what I did, if you want performance, buy a Flowmaster or magnaflow muffler and get your own pipes made.

Chrome_thangs
02-06-2003, 12:15 AM
Does the pacesetter muffler not give you a performance boost? Would i be better going w/ the aftermarket muffler i have on there now?

1988starter
02-06-2003, 06:26 AM
Yea it gives some power increase but not as god as dynomax super turbo.

dXsquared
02-06-2003, 01:14 PM
like 1 HP... just go to a exhausty shop and get them to bend and hang a pipe... get a muffler from somewhere and weld it on... i can get this gone for 50 bucks in my area... 35 at my friends shop... and even less if i do it myself!

Travis

hot86accrd86
02-25-2003, 06:30 PM
i was just about to purchase an exhaust but i am not sure of any good ones. i was thinkin about the 86-89 exhaust system by pacesetter

johndej
02-25-2003, 06:47 PM
if you've got a 3g accord thats the only type you can get (the 86-89). use the search option and i'm shure you'll find a ton of useful stuff. another option would be to get a custom one made at a shop.

si accord
02-25-2003, 07:42 PM
the best deal is to probably just get a pacesetter cat back and hack the muffler off and go with dynomax or your choice of muffler, they got a good price on the catback. plus its 2and1/4" so thats good

...opie

1988starter
02-26-2003, 02:41 AM
That is what I did pacesetter with dynomax it is a very good combo.

Mike's89AccordLX
04-07-2003, 12:58 AM
I got the thing in finally. Took about 4 hours off and on (cold here) I figured out how to get the old shifter out. There's this black thing around the pivot ball and at the top I saw this semi-circle thing and I took a needle nose pliers and removed it and the shifter came right out.

Well so far I'm having problems shifting into first gear. I have the ball all the way at the top :) The distance is incredibly short. If I adjust the ball will it be easier to shift into first? Oh and I removed the entire heat shield also. It was probably about 10lbs. And the best thing is I don't have that shitty rattling that makes the car sound like $10. If someone can help me figure out how to make it easier to shift to first gear please let me know. I really think that the shift is well worth the money. When I figure out how to shift again it will be a nice performance upgrade. I didn't get any stickers so no hp gains with the shifter :lol:

Thanks

OldSchoolSwap
04-07-2003, 06:33 AM
You need to lower the ball about half way.
The lower part of the shifter is hitting the torque bar and does not allow movement.
You must play with the ball and this will solve it. :)

Mike's89AccordLX
04-07-2003, 07:15 AM
Will I be able to do this from the inside of the car? B/c we just snow here and it's colder now. Hopefull I can adjust the ball from the inside.

OldSchoolSwap
04-07-2003, 07:33 AM
Bro, i did this about a year ago, i think you should be able to, but you'll have to pop it out of the socket by removing the "jeezus clip" ;)

Grant2k
04-07-2003, 07:57 AM
it's a snap ring isn't it? get some snap ring pliers. i at first put mine all the way down and i couldn't move my shifter at all. but i didn't put it totally back together. you really have to adjust it, test fit, take it out, adjust it and do that till you find the right spot, which is about halfway like Juan said. and i wouldn't take out the heat shield. that's probably not a good idea. you have to hammer it out. it's not hard at all.

Mike's89AccordLX
04-07-2003, 08:05 AM
Well the heat shield is folded and in the trash it's staying off :) Do those pliers have a 90 degree bend and like a needle nose? Pretty much I have to take that ring off pull up the shifter and adjust the ball to have way and put it back in and move it around and make sure I can hit all the gears with ease?

Grant2k
04-07-2003, 09:00 AM
they are pliers with little needles on them to fit into the snap rings. there are different pliers for internal and external snap rings though so you will need the internal ones if i remember correctly. a good pair will come with straight, 45 degree and 90 degree bent tips.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/headsearch.taf?function=Search

Mike's89AccordLX
04-07-2003, 09:17 AM
Well I'll go to the store and see how much they are.

Grant2k
04-07-2003, 09:53 AM
sorry i thought that link would take you to the product. anyway they're $10 from Harbor Frieght but you probably don't want to wait that long.

Mike's89AccordLX
04-07-2003, 10:09 AM
Yeah my arms are really sore from installing the shifter and I don't think I can stand shifting in the car now so I will have to buy one of those pliers and do this today.

skaterjunky8
04-07-2003, 10:47 AM
I think taking the heat sheild off is going to do more damage then good. It is to protect the inside of the car from getting EXTREMELY hot. It might even melt some things in the shifter. If you leave the heat shield on and run your car for 30 minutes then touch your metal shifter you can feel how hot it gets, now imagine that without any protection.

Grant2k
04-07-2003, 12:32 PM
i agree. it covers your cat and that is what gets really hot. it is there partially to prevent the inside of yoru car from catching on fire. go to the junkyard and i'm sure you can find one, or even make one out of sheet metal. it can't be hard.

IWLSF
04-07-2003, 12:47 PM
The shields over the catalytic converter and most of the downpipe I would leave intact. As for the piping after the catalytic, I've removed mine.

Mike's89AccordLX
04-07-2003, 01:36 PM
Ok I don't have a cat. I have a straight pipe and it doesn't get very hot. And it won't melt anything in the shifter b/c I was supposed to cut a hole in the heatshield for the shifter anyways. So in fact the shifter would be exposed anyways. I'm not getting under my car for awhile and I don't want to put on more weight than I have to. I think it's a good 10 pounds lost from removing the entire heat shield.

IWLSF
04-07-2003, 03:30 PM
Your call, sounds good.

Mike's89AccordLX
04-08-2003, 05:46 AM
I need to get my hanger brackets re-welded up there b/c they broke when I took the exhaust pipe off. I'm really pissed b/c I had a friend weld those up there like 3 weeks prior. So I'm going back and having him do it again.

jigga89SEi
04-08-2003, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by OldSchoolSwap
You need to lower the ball about half way.
The lower part of the shifter is hitting the torque bar and does not allow movement.
You must play with the ball and this will solve it. :)

Yes...just play with the ball.........that always works... :D lol

Mike's89AccordLX
04-08-2003, 07:01 AM
Yeah I played with the ball yesterday :lol: found the right spot too. The ball is about 3/4 of the way up the threads. It shifts perfect for me so it's all good.

Sabz5150
04-08-2003, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by OldSchoolSwap
Bro, i did this about a year ago, i think you should be able to, but you'll have to pop it out of the socket by removing the "jeezus clip" ;)

Yep, jeezus clip is right. Circlips are a pain to remove without the circlip gadget. It's worth the ten or so dollars for it.

Honda's also known for having 'jeezus nuts' too :)

Mike's89AccordLX
04-08-2003, 07:53 AM
Yeah I bought a snap ring pliers (adjustable) for $9 at a parts store. It was so easy to do with this tool. I forgot to mention this yesterday.

OldSchoolSwap
04-08-2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by jigga89SEi
Yes...just play with the ball.........that always works... :D lol :D :lol

IWLSF
04-08-2003, 12:30 PM
Sounds like a quote you could use in a profile signature lol.

accord19882002
04-14-2003, 09:57 AM
I was wondering if you can get the Pacesetter after-cat without a muffler and if so how much it costs. Also, how is the quality of the system? Thanks

Mike's89AccordLX
04-14-2003, 10:04 AM
It would be cheaper to go to an exhaust shop and have them make you a custom 2.25" piping.

accord19882002
04-14-2003, 10:08 AM
The only problem with that is that I'm running no converter so none of the shops will touch my car. So I wanted to get the after cat system, then weld in a pipe in place of the cat.

1988starter
04-14-2003, 02:02 PM
Well you have to get the muffler and the muffler is shit but what many of us did was buy it for the mandrel bends and weld a different muffler on.

87accordDxRocFosStyl
04-28-2003, 11:10 AM
Do any of you guys use the Pace Setter Monza exhaust system on your cars? Thinking of gettin one after my new tranny, oh and one of Pace Setters headers too. Any info would be great. Thanks

wikkedv15
04-28-2003, 11:28 AM
pacesetter is a pretty cheap brand.. like apc..and such..
i mean some ppl have the header.. and its worked out fine..
but u never know when ur header will be the one to get fucked over..
another thing about their exhaust.. i heard on here that after a while the rust.. or some shit like that..

Justin86
04-28-2003, 11:55 AM
If you by the cheap Pacesetter stuff it would be a good idea to sandblast everything and put some ceramic high temp paint on it. It will stop it from rusting and hold up well. It will cost around $5 a can at autozone. Or spend $300-$400 for DC products

1988starter
04-28-2003, 01:16 PM
Pacesetter headers and highflow cat are good but their exhaust sucks bad muffler but I just welded a dynomax on much better.

LXiRAM87
04-28-2003, 02:19 PM
Well I have a Complete Pace setter exhaust. I have the plain black headers and after the paint burned off it does start to rust. It would be a good idea to paint some high temp paint on them. Aslo the muffler is crap. The first muffler i had kept on falling apart on the inside making a bunch of noise at a certain RPM range. I had to cut it open and weld it in place. But besides the muffler thing it is great.

Bruce

87accordDxRocFosStyl
04-28-2003, 07:52 PM
Ok do you guys have any suggestions on a same price range, but better exhaust system and header.

1988starter
04-29-2003, 04:20 AM
Well I would just have a shop make one or but another pacesetter and cut off the muffler and weld on another when you have the money.

87accordDxRocFosStyl
04-29-2003, 09:14 AM
I think ill have one done at the local muffler shop. But i still need a header any suggestions?

1988starter
04-29-2003, 09:40 AM
Pacesetter black one is good for me or get their ceramic one if you want a mesh flex section that bad order one off JC whitney for like 30 bucks and weld it in.

87accordDxRocFosStyl
04-29-2003, 09:43 AM
So did anyone have a problem with the pace setter header rusting or was it just the exhaust?

1988starter
04-29-2003, 09:54 AM
My black painted one has started to rust but I have heard nothing but good things about the ceramic one

86AccordLxi
04-29-2003, 10:02 AM
All you have to do is strip down the paint off the black one and repaint it with really high temp paint. That should solve the rusting problems...

Alex

Justin86
04-29-2003, 10:14 AM
Holy crap we have a genius here. (86AcorrdLx-i) I said 9 post ago to repaint everything with a ceramic paint and then Alex said to do it. Five bucks says that someone else will ask on how to stop the rusting. So Alex how is the weather up in Eugene. It is nice and raining here in G.P.

1988starter
04-29-2003, 10:20 AM
I painted mine most stayed on the manifold but a lot burned off the down pipe.

87accordDxRocFosStyl
04-29-2003, 10:25 AM
Ok got the jist there guys, repaint it and itll be fine. Figured that out, but what if i dont want to waste the time doing it, just kidding, im gonna do some more research then see what i can find. So once again any other brand of header that will work fine for the same kind of money?

86AccordLxi
04-29-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Justin86
Holy crap we have a genius here. (86AcorrdLx-i) I said 9 post ago to repaint everything with a ceramic paint and then Alex said to do it. Five bucks says that someone else will ask on how to stop the rusting. So Alex how is the weather up in Eugene. It is nice and raining here in G.P.

I was just reiterating your genius comment :) ...the weather was decent until about 3 min ago when a few drops started falling.grrr, I hate OR weather.

alex

theBeline
04-29-2003, 03:49 PM
bah, where would I find one? Do they have a webpage, and would they sell a turbo manifold for a B16?

Justin86
04-29-2003, 04:13 PM
I love the Oregon weather. I'm thinking yea some good boarding or the next day some good rafting:) then I look at all of the rain/snow or dust on my car.:mad:

theBeline
04-29-2003, 07:59 PM
what do you do? o you just follow me around or what?

87accordDxRocFosStyl
04-29-2003, 09:58 PM
:wtf:
following me around

87accordDxRocFosStyl
04-29-2003, 09:59 PM
well maybe not a quote but :wtf:

87AccordLXsdn
04-30-2003, 06:03 PM
Sooo...ahh...does anybody know how to stop the rusting on the headers??

:D ...j/k

1988starter
04-30-2003, 06:07 PM
I would just spend the extra dough and get the ceramic ones.

Justin86
04-30-2003, 07:09 PM
Holy crap I'm going to loose it. CERAMIC HIGH TEMP PAINT! If you want to spend the extra $$ to have it done my the makers like $80 or... you can do it your self for $5.

1988starter
04-30-2003, 07:13 PM
Holy crap I'm going to loose it. CERAMIC HIGH TEMP PAINT! If you want to spend the extra $$ to have it done my the makers like $80 or... you can do it your self for $5.

Ok you can loose it all you want but the ceramic high temp paint burned right off my down pipe.

HondaManDan
05-02-2003, 08:30 AM
My stock cat-back has completely rotted out. Granted I could go and buy stock replacement, or ever a wider repacement. However I think im going with the Pacesetter Borla Cat-Back exhaust system. It's about 166 bucks off of NopiONline and it's painted, this way I doubt it'll rust... be being in new-england and all.
Is this a good kit? I heard the muffler was iffy, but imnot looking for sound really, just function.
Horsepower inrease with this??? I dont reallyknow... Im thinking of getting the pacesetter header and possibly a new high-flow cat. I'll paint the new pacesetter with heat-resistant paint and what-not to prevent chipping. So yeah.

SOund like a good Idea???

Thanks

Mike's89AccordLX
05-02-2003, 08:35 AM
Get a cat-back exhaust made for cheaper. I have the pacesetter catback with a different muffler and the paint comes off fast and it's been a year and no rust but I doubt that will last a long time. Go to a muffler shop and get a 2.25" pipe custom made for the car for like $80-$100 And then get a muffler you like.

1988starter
05-02-2003, 08:42 AM
It is not that bad of a kit I have one but I got annoyed with the muffler and cut it off and added a dynomax but then again when I bought it it was only 130

Mike's89AccordLX
05-02-2003, 08:48 AM
I bought mine when it was $145 and then you have to add shipping too. So it saves you money if you get a custom one made.

Justin86
05-02-2003, 09:03 AM
I"m going with custom exhaust. Straight pipe and a muffler soon to be done.

theBeline
05-02-2003, 10:22 AM
A custom header as well? Frig, where can I get one? I want a custom turbo header made up, and seeing how in Maine a car of this age doesn't have to meet emisions standards, screw the cat.

Justin86
05-02-2003, 10:48 AM
That is what I say too. Got-to love Oregon.

HondaManDan
05-02-2003, 12:51 PM
damned Massachusetts.... Romney can kiss my ass.

wickedaccord
06-10-2003, 01:51 PM
for those who has a pacesetter short shifter.. and anyone who knows. does the pacesetter short shifter come available with the GSR style shifter???

any info would be great. here is also a link to wat i mean

http://www.nopionline.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=dsplargepic&vpic=LPacestrShifter.jpg

:bow: jon

dXsquared
06-10-2003, 01:57 PM
just heat the accord one and bend it

Travis

wickedaccord
06-10-2003, 02:07 PM
if i heat and bend it.. i'd ruin a perfectly designed shifter that's made for precision. something i wouldnt do, especially when honda spend countless ours of making such a genuine peice..

reason y i would want the pacesetter is for the GSR style. otherwise, i wouldnt bother. thanks anyhow.

but more help would be nice. thanks

:bow: Jon

dXsquared
06-10-2003, 02:13 PM
well... what do you mean GSR style?? explain a bit more... pacesetter only makes one shifter for the accord so i dont think anyone else will tell you different

Travis

shepherd79
06-10-2003, 02:30 PM
what about DC sport shifter for CIVIC. mid 80's civic

wickedaccord
06-10-2003, 02:39 PM
click on the link i posted up there. there is a difference in the way it's curved. the short shifter in that pic is a style of a STOCK GSR shifter. that's wat i want becuz it does actually minimize the throw shorter than a regular style shifter such as on the 89 accord and any civic. ill post up another pic of a short shifter and ull see the difference in style.. the way it's curved.

sorry if im being a little picky and stubborn

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6763&item=2418634397

this is a pic off of ebay. it's a civic style bla bla bla

PhydeauX
06-10-2003, 02:57 PM
Nah, the pace setter doesn't bend back up. It would be interesting to see if you could use that gsr shifter in the 3rd gen. Might have to swap the ball with a 3rd gen style and/or spread the end of the shift rod linkge where it meets the shifter to make it fit. I'd be weary of bending the pacesetter accord shifter. Its not exactly high quality material and may snap. Its also plated which would most likely get messed up in the process. If you can find a shifter in that style that fits the earlier 84-88 civic then you'll have an easy solution

andy

wickedaccord
06-10-2003, 03:08 PM
yeeeaaaap! well if i jus happen to find one and get the resources for it. ill post it up. actually, i was offered 80 bucks for a GSR style shifter.. my guy was going to actually send a GSR short shifter to a machine shop and have em grind the ball joint down the the exact same size as the 3geez one.. but for 80 bucks i figured eh, y not jus buy a pacesetter short shifter with a skunk2 shift nob..
also tried cutting the shift linkage cup and weld on a civic cup.. but i was afraid of the cup snapping on me when hard shift engagements.

oh well! we'll see wat happens
thanks though

NXRacer
06-20-2003, 02:13 PM
Thats a wicked setup you have in your 3G. Hella props to ya for doing that swap! Did you use PlaceRacing motor mounts?

wickedaccord
06-21-2003, 01:11 PM
yea, it was all place racing components except for the wiring part. i had JPR do it for me. pm me if u want more info. and use the search in the engine swap section to check exactly how much it'll cost and wat it'll take. jus search under COST OF GSR. thanks for the props! im still not done...

89AccordLvr
06-21-2003, 01:58 PM
so for a short shifter you get one for our models right , it has nothin to do with the gsr motor and tranny? what bout the clutch you have is it one made for our 3gee ?

wickedaccord
06-21-2003, 06:45 PM
shifter stays the same as a stock 3geez. unfortunately freakin place racing wouldnt change the cup for me to a civic's. but the clutch is totally seperate from the shift linkage and shifter. the clutch is for bseries motor. ACT made their bseries clutch to universally fit any bseries motor. i almost died when i couldnt put the pressure plate on. until we called ACT and they showed up the 3 universal holes on the pressure plate. so the shift linkage is gonna have to be bought from place racing. ofcourse with a core exchange

89AccordLvr
06-21-2003, 07:26 PM
koo thanx, so if i want i could go ahead and get a short shifter no problem b4 i swap to a b16 right

Hash_man_Se_i
06-26-2003, 10:34 PM
Hey, I tried a search and didn't come up with much. I just want to know how this exaust is? does it have Mandrel bends? and does it sound good? because I was looking on Nopionline, and 160 USD is an awesome price for a catback. Also, how are the pacesetter headers? and whats the real difference between steel and ceramic coated?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
-Hash_man:wave:

shepherd79
06-27-2003, 02:48 AM
Pasessetter = cheap design.
you can get headers and stip the paint of them and paint with high temp paint.
cat back, the piping is good, but the muffler sucks. it rusts very quick. so you will have to cut it out and weld a new muffler.

krott5333
06-27-2003, 04:53 AM
The cat back isn't worth it probably, because the muffler on it is very cheap. Yes it has mandrel bends, but you could get an ebay muffler like I did for about $60 shipped, and get a good exhaust shop in your area to custom bend some pipe for you. It most likely wont be mandrel bent, but a decent shop should be able to keep the crushed bends to a minimum, and you could probably get stainless for cheaper than the price of the pacesetter anyway.

RobT5580
06-27-2003, 06:51 AM
I have owned 2 of them and they are garbage. The 2nd one i had was bent inproperly and they would fix the problem and it was under their warranty period. The piping is very low grade and rusts very fast. The only reason i bought them was because it is the only cat back system and this was a few yrs ago. Just buy a muffler and have a shop make the piping.

1988starter
06-27-2003, 12:43 PM
I have pacesetter piping with a dynomax muffler it was all god but I only paid 130 for the cat back and 40 for the muffler.

Jims 86LXI HB
06-27-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Hash_man_Se_i
Hey, I tried a search and didn't come up with much. .

Not much:huh: it's been discussed allot here. I ran the search and their's 2 pages of theads. Not all of them apply to the cat back, but lot's of them do.

http://www.3geez.com/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=94593&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

stizle
06-27-2003, 06:09 PM
Got the pacesetter cat, personally i think it is garbage when i put it on my car it almost seemed as if my car lost power!!

til i cut off the muffler and put a Ractive performance joint on there

Hash_man_Se_i
06-27-2003, 06:14 PM
Not much it's been discussed allot here. I ran the search and their's 2 pages of theads. Not all of them apply to the cat back, but lot's of them do.

Haha, ya I think i spelled it wrong when I did the search.

And ya, I think i might get it, then sell the muffler and put on something like a DC sports TCS muffler. I only was wondering about this because it is so cheap.

But what other companies sell cat-backs for our cars
?

Bloodlust
06-27-2003, 06:57 PM
I have heard so many bad things about Pacesetter exhausts. I would not get one myself, neither would I recommend anyone get one neither.

G Man89
07-06-2003, 06:34 PM
I have one. At the moment the only complaint I have is that when I make righthand turns it rattles. I think it makes nice sound.

G Man89
07-06-2003, 06:34 PM
The installation was a little tough thou because the bolts on my stock exhaust were rusted up real good.

erics86dx
07-07-2003, 12:42 AM
I was thinking about getting one of those I probably will but Ill replace the muffler tip or whatever with a apexi tip and a flowmaster muffler or something along the lines of that

86AccordLxi
07-07-2003, 01:18 PM
I bought it and after 6 months, I put on a stainless steel muffler to replace the rusted out one. So far, I haven't noticed any rust on the piping, and I've had it for almost 2 years. It works well enough..i don't think it's any worse or better than custom piping, but you will have to replace the muffler. Probably wouldn't buy one again, though...cheaper to have it custom made.

Alex

Hash_man_Se_i
07-27-2003, 10:04 PM
So, I was just looking on the computer at my work today, and finally found the pacesetter cat-back exaust for our cars. I looked into a custom exaust (not mandrel bent) and a performance muffler and it would be like $500CDN. And this is only going to cost me less than $300CDN (dont know exact price right now)
And.. I am going to replace the pacesetter muffler with a Vibrant Performance Dual DTM style muffler for only $100. I can't wait.:D

adams86lxi
07-27-2003, 10:11 PM
sounds good!:)

Hash_man_Se_i
07-28-2003, 11:03 PM
Ya, i can't wait. But I am trying to decide what muffler to go with right now. I want a nice deep sounding one. And the total price for the pacesetter cat back is $240 for me. and thats canadian dollars too.

Hash_man_Se_i
08-09-2003, 03:23 PM
hey,
I just got my pacesetter cat-back exhaust after a week and $250CDN..

And I am now wondering.., I remember people saying to spray high temp paint on to the pacesetter headers which are not ceramic coated, to help prevent them from rusting.

So... will this work with the exhaust too?? I really want to know, becuase I want it to last as long as possible.

Thanks

dXsquared
08-09-2003, 03:40 PM
250 bucks?? you could have got a nice dynomax muffler and a custom bent exhaust for that much... that pacesetter muffler is a POS and it provides 0 gains ofver stock... now you are gonna have to replace the muffler, and get a new tip cuz that tipp with start to rust within 3 months.. and in the winter, it will be worse...

i sugest taking it back and getting a custom pipe... they go for 150 bucks in my town.. thats canadian bucks.. and a nice dynomax 90 bucks.. so for like 250 bucks, you could have gotten performance and sound

oh well..

it doesnt need paint, but you can anyway

Travis

Hash_man_Se_i
08-09-2003, 11:47 PM
Well in my town. For a good custom exhaust it is probly at least 200, and then for a good muffler not some POS, it is like 180 for me.

And I want my mandrel bent piping! lol... and I am also selling the pacesetter muffler for around 100$. so it will end up being a good deal for me. And this muffler I am getting has a 5yr warranty, so unlike your 90$ muffler, i wont have to replace it every year,

dXsquared
08-09-2003, 11:51 PM
the 90 dollar Dynomax is a very nice muffler... and who ever buys your muffler is a bone head

Travis

dXsquared
08-09-2003, 11:53 PM
how much for your subs man?? lemme know... im in the market for some new subs and 3 10's would be perfect...and i dont want the box.. gimme a price

Travis

Hash_man_Se_i
08-10-2003, 12:17 PM
the 90 dollar Dynomax is a very nice muffler... and who ever buys your muffler is a bone head

Yes I know, thats their problem, not mine.

And subs have been sold .

modu03
08-10-2003, 02:12 PM
yah know... I have the pacesetter exhaust, and i noticed a pretty good increase in power, especially in the higher rpm range... the pacesetter may not be the best design... but it is a hell of a lot better than the stock exhaust...

you spent $250 on the pacesetter system??? I only paid $160... you got ripped man!

Hash_man_Se_i
08-10-2003, 03:31 PM
you spent $250 on the pacesetter system??? I only paid $160... you got ripped man!

Yes, and I paid $250. in Canadian dollars, and the exhaust retails for around #320 here, before tax, and my 250 is with tax.

But I really want to know, what can I do, to make it so it doesnt rust fast.

4DoorAccordDX
08-11-2003, 07:45 AM
I'm not sure if the exhaust would need painting or not, but if you want to just in case and for your own peace of mind, get some high-temp BBQ paint. 1200* or higher. I bought a Pacesetter header about 2 months ago, had it sanblasted and put 1200* BBQ paint on there and so far have seen no signs of flaking or rust. Regular Rustoleum (spelling?) won't work because it is not designed for the extreme temperatures. The BBQ paint is good because it is specifically designed to withstand the temperature that your exhaust will reach, and it has a rust inhibitor (spelling?). Just go to a local home improvement store and they should have a few cans there. I put on about 4-5 coats. That may or may not be overkill, but so far it has done its job well. Hope that helps.

2-Knee

Justin86
08-11-2003, 10:12 AM
I would do it just to be safe.

Hash_man_Se_i
08-11-2003, 03:46 PM
Thanks.

lightbulblxi
09-09-2003, 08:43 AM
about 2 weeks ago i got the pacesetter cat back on my car i bought it for about $180 an it took me about 3 hors to put on( mainly becase my stock nuts/bolts were so rusted) It sounds a little deeper than my sock exhaust at low rpm. Any suggestins what to do to make it sound more like a racing muffler
right now i am considering changing mufflers

86AccordLxi
09-09-2003, 08:47 AM
That's your best bet...plus (esp where you live) the rust will eat up at least the tip of the pacesetter muffler within the next year or so (at least that's what happened to me). It seems like the majority of members here had the pacesetter muffler cut off and then had a new muffler of their choice welded back on the the pacesetter piping. That's what I did, and i'm very pleased with the sound (although keep in mind that a loud muffler can get annoying on long trips/drives).

Alex

NXRacer
09-09-2003, 08:54 AM
I've riden in Alex's car and i agree that his sounds really good.

Vinny
09-09-2003, 08:55 AM
I agree with the changing muffler idea, from what I hear alot of people who buy pacesetters do that. I went the cheap route and just had a local shop do a cat back w/ 2 1/4" pipe and a turbo for a whopping 150. I know the whole mandrel bend vs reg bend theory but just can't see the total cost (180 for a pacesetter then add to that to change the muffler) as a good option

86AccordLxi
09-09-2003, 08:57 AM
Doing it over again, I would have a shop run the piping rather than buying the pacesetter, but at the time, I didn't know any better. I also only paid 150 for my pacesetter so that was good.

NX: I'm glad you like it ! :D

Alex

Vinny
09-09-2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by 86AccordLxi
NX: I'm glad you like it ! :D

Alex

Well said, thats whats important. As long as you like it who cares what we think :lol :lol

86AccordLxi
09-09-2003, 09:12 AM
I was nervous putting it on though, wasn't sure how it was going to sound. Considering bought it online (from NOPI) I had never heard the exhaust before. I got lucky :D

Alex

Justin86
09-09-2003, 09:13 AM
Try cutting off the muffler for a while and see how you like it. Then put on another muffler if you want.

NXRacer
09-09-2003, 09:13 AM
my exhaust is 2 1/4 cat back straight pipe to the back with a resonator. Sounds like it would sound terrible, but it sounds pretty good. A lot of people have told me its one of the best sounding exhausts they've heard (and they weren't ricers either). I guess i got lucky. I'm sure that if i were to punch out my cat it would be WAY too loud.

86AccordLxi
09-09-2003, 09:17 AM
I want to take my cat out but really don't want it to be super-loud (it's loud enough right now). Could I just put a resonator or something in place of the cat to keep the same noise level?

Alex

Justin86
09-09-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by NXRacer
my exhaust is 2 1/4 cat back straight pipe to the back with a resonator. Sounds like it would sound terrible, but it sounds pretty good. A lot of people have told me its one of the best sounding exhausts they've heard (and they weren't ricers either). I guess i got lucky. I'm sure that if i were to punch out my cat it would be WAY too loud.
Yea I got 2.25" from the header back with a flomaster 40 series and 3.5" tip. It is not as deep as with no muffler but is louder they how I had it before I got full exhaust. :)

Bloodlust
09-09-2003, 09:27 AM
I was going to get myself a Pacesetter Cat-back Exhaust but I was told that they suck sweaty goat nipples (I believe those were the exact words.) Has this changed or what? I really want to get one but I dont feel like paying like 650 for a DC Sports system. Any input?

86AccordLxi
09-09-2003, 09:28 AM
As mentioned many other times on this board, it's better to find a muffler you like and then take it to a muffler shop and have them weld you up 2.25 inch piping from the cat back. Pacesetter quality is still not great.

Alex

NXRacer
09-09-2003, 09:50 AM
I want to take my cat out but really don't want it to be super-loud (it's loud enough right now). Could I just put a resonator or something in place of the cat to keep the same noise level?

Alex

I think a good quality glass pack (resonator) would help curb the noise. When i put in my new motor, i'm gonna punch out the cat so i'll know for sure how loud it is with a true straight pipe.

Vinny
09-09-2003, 09:53 AM
Yea I got 2.25" from the header back with a flomaster 40 series and 3.5" tip. It is not as deep as with no muffler but is louder they how I had it before I got full exhaust. :)

maybe I'm confised but an exhaust system without a muffler is just ass out loud(I know mine was rusted off when I bought the car) but its not deep. The way a muffler resonates is what determines the sound. Turbos are louder than a stock muffler and deeper because of the way they are designed. Thats why the straight mufflers like gibson superflows and such are so much louder, they work like a megaphone, exhaust noise goes straight in and straight out(the bumblebee in a tin can sound), as opposed to a conventionl design where it resonates throught chambers inside the muffler. Hers some useful info about muffler from a truck site but they did test on quite a few. let me know if this helps anyone http://members.tripod.com/~racetruck/muffler.html

Justin86
09-09-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by My Cousin Vinny
maybe I'm confised but an exhaust system without a muffler is just ass out loud(I know mine was rusted off when I bought the car) but its not deep. The way a muffler resonates is what determines the sound. Turbos are louder than a stock muffler and deeper because of the way they are designed. Thats why the straight mufflers like gibson superflows and such are so much louder, they work like a megaphone, exhaust noise goes straight in and straight out(the bumblebee in a tin can sound), as opposed to a conventionl design where it resonates throught chambers inside the muffler. Hers some useful info about muffler from a truck site but they did test on quite a few. let me know if this helps anyone http://members.tripod.com/~racetruck/muffler.html
When I still had stock piping I had no muffler and a gutted cat with headers. It wasen't extremely loud like some of those high pitched fart can. It had a loud deap tone to it. I got more respect with that then what I currently have. Mostly cause there is a rattle and it sounds like shit.

86AccordLxi
09-10-2003, 08:22 AM

Alex

Bump so someone will answer my question.

Alex

NXRacer
09-10-2003, 08:39 AM
hey alex, i did already.

86AccordLxi
09-10-2003, 08:49 AM
Hahah..i'm blind...thanks!

Alex

1988starter
09-27-2003, 05:52 PM
Well I just bought a DC Sports header WHY?.... Because Pacesetter SUCKS :rant: :mad: My downpipe is going to hell their is a big ass crack (pun intended) down the side of the downpipe and the flange that connects the downpipe to the car has ripped up creating a large hole. It is so damn loud and embarissing because riceboys :rice: with extra loud cars give a bad name to actual performance enthusiests. (who just happen to have a large hole in their downpipe). Now I just need to wait for the thing to come in the mail. I will take pictures of the install and try to write a how to for everyone. I will also take pictures of the shitty downpipe. Another thing I have noticed power is inversly perportional to sound level. So what I am saying the louder my car gets the slower it is. :rant: :mad: OK end rant so to sum it up don't buy pacesetter
:flame: PACESETTER :badass:

1988starter
09-27-2003, 05:53 PM
I am also pissed because it is another 300+ dollars I cannot put tward my new car.

Vinny
09-27-2003, 06:20 PM
Thats gotta be the worst thing that can happen when you do a mod or perfomance upgrade. As if the stuff isn't expensive enough then you occasionally have to go back a replace/redo itbecause it wasn't what you really wanted, wasn't as advertised, or was a plain ass shitty product. I feel for ya

1988starter
09-27-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by My Cousin Vinny
Thats gotta be the worst thing that can happen when you do a mod or perfomance upgrade. As if the stuff isn't expensive enough then you occasionally have to go back a replace/redo itbecause it wasn't what you really wanted, wasn't as advertised, or was a plain ass shitty product. I feel for ya

Yea I hate pacesetter the only thing I have from then that is not too bad is the highflow cat. I allready cut the muffler off the exhaust and attached a dynomax one.

Mike89Accordcom
09-27-2003, 11:33 PM
exactly why I went with DC header. Some headers will do that. I even have a friend who has DC header in his integra, and they got cracked. Let us know how you like your new ones.

shepherd79
09-28-2003, 04:37 AM
it is been almost one year for me, and i have no problems so far.

dXsquared
09-28-2003, 06:01 AM
i also have no problems except that the so called CERAMIC FINISH that i paid 220 dollars for instead of 150 is rusting off the down pipe... im gonn ahave to take her off and paint it with like 2 cans of ceramic before the salty winter comes...

Travis

iiviasterp
09-28-2003, 08:14 AM
ive had the pacesetter ceramic header for more then 2 years and ive never had a problem with it, the finish is still new looking adn there is no rust at all, ive drivin one year with it in teh winter to, i know some people have had problems with pacesetter, but i love the header and their short-throw.....the cat-back exhaust is good also just minus the muffler

Mike's89AccordLX
09-28-2003, 08:27 AM
I have a the black pacetter and the only problem that I have had was the ball joint which I fixed with a flex pipe. But I just bought a DC Sports Ceramic header for my 91 lude si. I'm not going to go cheap on this car let me tell you that. And plus it was a total impulse buy b/c I heard they were discontinuing everything for the 3rd gen ludes and below. So I found one for $345 shipped and I bought it. The sad part is I will have to wait so long to feel the power of it. I keep forgetting I'll be working on it for 2.5 months and won't get to drive it. I have only driven it 3 times. Test drive, drive onto trailor, drive off of trailor. And it was really obvious that it needed a valve job. But I'm just going to replace everything and P&P the head and bore out the cylinders, and make everything look new and run new.

1988starter
09-28-2003, 11:25 AM
Well mine lasted 3-4 yrs total but I am still anoyed

zero.counter
09-28-2003, 01:54 PM
Damn dude, that sucks! I am going to be the guinea pig for the JCW one I posted in a thread a couple of days ago. I want to compare the quality to that of a pacesetter, since that is the price range.

I sold my pacesetter a year ago because some fool wanted to pay $200 for it. They did good for being the base black one.

ryan88lxi
09-28-2003, 07:44 PM
but the short throw from them is ok? ive been consdering getting one but i only hear bad things about pacesetter.

MarioBurke
09-28-2003, 08:03 PM
i hate the short throw shifter from pacesetter. i have had it for almost a year and not only has it not improved throw, but is seemingly harder to shift and often cause my throws!

1988starter
09-28-2003, 08:04 PM
I think the 84-87 dc sports civic one fits our cars.

Sean
09-28-2003, 10:17 PM
dude if a tubular steel header lasted 3-4 yrs thats a long time for a tubular header.dc sports doesnt make a stainless header for the 3g but pretty soon ill have one for you guys

toastyghost
09-28-2003, 11:07 PM
man sean rules at making aftermarket support where there wasn't any before

k-roy
09-29-2003, 04:25 AM
I own a Pacesetter header on another vehicle, I did not even use the stock downpipe, it looked too cheap. I purchased a new one from Jegs. The rest of the exaughst was done by a local shop. It did hold up fine for 4 years. But anyway, I recently installed a set of Borla Headers in a Dakota and the quality differance is substansial. I guess you get what you pay for. Pacesetter = cheap.

Sabz5150
09-29-2003, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by MarioBurke
i hate the short throw shifter from pacesetter. i have had it for almost a year and not only has it not improved throw, but is seemingly harder to shift and often cause my throws!

Dunno whatcha did to it... I have their adjustable on my ride and it's an excellent piece.

catalin
09-29-2003, 10:59 AM
I know, I know cheap stuff but I bought one..

Who knows their website?? And has anyone ever cut a new gasket for their headers?????

Vinny
09-29-2003, 11:06 AM
hmmmmmmmm lets see maybe pacesetterexhaust.com (http://www.pacesetterexhaust.com/)

1988starter
09-29-2003, 05:41 PM
Yea their gaskets are very cheap I just got some new paper from nappa and made some

dXsquared
09-29-2003, 06:21 PM
i also made my own... part number 77 or somthing from mr gasket is a sheet of exhaust gasket material

i have like 6 mid section gaskets for when they blow

Travis

catalin
09-29-2003, 09:46 PM
Now wasn't that easy enough...

The gaskets that come with the headers are complete garbage, and to make matters even better their Arizona sales staff are almost just as useless. Had some made and later realized that I had a coolant leak.. :)

Damn, fix one thing and another problem comes along.

A20A1
09-29-2003, 10:04 PM
Why are you using paper gaskets... buy the metal one and it will last a lot longer.

Mike89Accordcom
09-29-2003, 10:38 PM
Pacesetter isn't a bad company. Just not at the top. But I'd buy Pacesetter if I needed to.