PDA

View Full Version : 86-89 Accord Carbon Fiber Hoods

Chaosracer
10-11-2004, 10:39 AM
I found a company that makes carbon fiber hoods for our cars.

http://host213.ipowerweb.com/~customca/images/accord8689_ebay_02.gif

here is the website:
CustomCarbons.com (http://www.customcarbons.com/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/5/products_id/52?osCsid=2a5e9668ef53793ada91e4e495c3cd89)

sofaking_bob
10-11-2004, 10:43 AM
300 bucks ain't that bad... but it's like $150 for shipping.. i'm thinking about getting one sometime.. that one looks like a winner..

Mike's89AccordLX
10-11-2004, 10:45 AM
Yes they are all over ebay. And there are a few companies that make them and they are pretty much a waste of money if you want performance.

maka_RTH
10-11-2004, 10:57 AM
i have one, i got it for a total of $300, including shipping. usually you can get the for $350 on ebay. they seem more or less sturdy too(haven't put it on the car yet..., nut till it's almost done, and that's gonna be a while)

sofaking_bob
10-11-2004, 11:08 AM
i just like the way that it looks... not intended for any sort of performance.. i don't think that i'd be real worried about the hood if i were worried about performance..

Vanilla Sky
10-11-2004, 11:53 AM
if these hoods are as light as they have been said to be, then they can be considered a performance item... if i'm not mistaken, the stock one is upwards of like 40 pounds... the CF one is what, 13.5? that's plenty enough difference to effect the handling of the car, nd might even shave .001 seconds from the quarter mile, lol...

i might end up with one, but not for looks... i'd want it because it was lighter than stock... i'd even go through the trouble of having it painted... just the way i am...

maka_RTH
10-11-2004, 12:04 PM
it is quite a bit lighter than stock. i believe on the package it says 22 lbs, so that includes the packaging. it's way easy to move around the garage.

Mike's89AccordLX
10-11-2004, 12:09 PM
I don't think the stock hood even weighs 40lbs. I lifted the whole thing by myself and put it in the dumpster with no problems and I thought read somewhere that the cf hood is only 5 to 6 lbs lighter than the stock hood.

jonrichert
10-11-2004, 12:16 PM
i tried to do a cf photoshop on my car, and i just don't like the way it looks, some ppl might like it but's not really for me... too much cash for something i don't love.
http://members.shaw.ca/j.richert/mycar_cf.jpg

88accordhb
10-11-2004, 03:32 PM
hahahha cf hood for THIS 4 banger. http://board.hondasociety.com/images/smilies/lmfao.gif

sofaking_bob
10-11-2004, 08:10 PM
my car is like graphite anyway... i really like it.. i've thought about getting one but couldn't find anything other than the one's on ebay.. seems like a solid mod to me

HostileJava
10-12-2004, 08:54 AM
Unless your paint is close to the color of the hood then the flipups don't really look right, that's the problem with our lights and CF hoods.

Vanilla Sky
10-12-2004, 10:40 AM
i agree with hostile... they should make headlight covers from CF, also

sofaking_bob
10-12-2004, 11:30 AM
i don't know.. i sort of like the way that it looks... like vinny's hatch... maybe it's just because i have pretty much the same car.. i don't know.. but i like it..

wprocomp
10-12-2004, 11:42 AM
I made some cf style covers-I just shaved off the plastic part-welded in a peice of metal to fill it in-used some bondo and made it smooth and I am just waiting to get my CF sheet to finish it-I am still trying to figure out how to get rid of the two plastic peices by the grill to make it look smooth

$40089'accordproject
10-12-2004, 04:48 PM
yea i know this might know have any thing 2 do with tha Carbon Fiber Hoods but if u have a dark color car like me i dont think thay look good so i am getting a white hood and head light covers

shepherd79
10-12-2004, 07:01 PM
i think CF hoods are waist of money. you will save may be a few pounds. so what, you can use the money you spend on the hood and do some performance upgrade and it will pay for itself.

Vanilla Sky
10-12-2004, 07:36 PM
yeah... they really should be a last step in lightening... some people think it's worth it, some don't... personally, if it weighs half of what the stock one does, it's worth it... just opinion...

88accordalltheway
10-12-2004, 07:42 PM
hey jonrichert, look at vinnys car, he has the same or close to the same color as you and i think it looks really good. id be afraid to get a cf hood with the gray colored car, imo i think it would clash with the grey. The only color car a cf hood should be on is a yellow car.

jonrichert
10-12-2004, 08:17 PM
yeah man i've seen vinny's car and it does look tight, but it doesn't flow right with my black bumpers. i have to do something soon tho, i have some very bad paint chips on the front sloping part of my hood. my engine is also stock so there's absolutely no point of lightening a 98hp car.

sofaking_bob
10-13-2004, 03:17 PM
i just like the way they look.. don't care about how light it is, but that's just me and my opinion.. if you don't like them.. or you think that they're a waste of money, then don't get one.. nobodys gotta gun to your head, and if they do then you've got bigger problems than worrying about a cf hood. like i said though, that's just me.

Busted_Blue
10-13-2004, 03:35 PM
recently there has been a large amount of threads talking about CF hoods. There needs to be a sticky about CF hoods..or something...everywhere I see is CF hood this and CF hood that which I swear I've seen like 10 times within the last month.

Anyone who has a fair share of knowledge about the hoods and the companies producing them want to write a sticky about it?

sporkHSP
10-13-2004, 03:44 PM
im kinda sick of this too. make a sticky and solve the eye sore problems that these threads cause.

smores
10-13-2004, 08:04 PM
I have a cf hood on my civic, and it weighs about 15 lbs, while my metal hood weighs at least 35, maybe 40 lbs. I bought mine because I was in an accident, where my hood was screwed up and my core support bent in a few mm. Instead of buying a Honda hood and having it repainted, I opted for cf, and it was only $460 shipped. I felt a difference in handling. The car definitely feels a little more spirited. The only disadvantage is it's hard to keep clean, and it's easy to see those little teeny scratches (circles in the sun, like on all paint when it gets older) show up when it's really bright out from certain angles. It adds a neat look to the car, as not everyone has them. They are common, but not as common as clear tails and other cheap mods that everyone has.

If you are looking for a quick visual mod, than the cf hood might not be the best option. But if your original hood is destroyed or the paint is screwed up or something, it is a good investment. the flip-up headlights wouldn't look that great against the cf, but you could always do something like paint them matte black or something, so they match better :).

sporkHSP
10-14-2004, 12:54 PM
ok, that doesnt change the fact that there are several of these threads on the board.