PDA

View Full Version : hard to start/bad MPG

Coy
10-11-2004, 12:27 PM
im about to go get the starting system checked on the car, but if thats not the problem i need some sort of idea why it would be hard to start only when its been sitting for a few hours....its a 2g accord 18 carb'd.

not to mention i dont know if its supposed to get 32 mpg, i can say one thing its not. it seems to be possibly sucking the most gas when starting. but it could possibly be while driving normally. any ideas on either? possible things to check

86LXItooFAST4me
10-11-2004, 12:31 PM
im just guessing cuz of the lack of info but check your timing.

TheSummoner101
10-11-2004, 01:52 PM
have ur fuel system checked out too :)

Coy
10-11-2004, 03:36 PM
i was unaware you could have a feul system checked...where can i go to have that done?

advanced auto does starting, and charging i know that. but anything else is unknown. the test came out that the starter was fine though

86LXItooFAST4me
10-13-2004, 06:03 AM
lol, is your shit injected or carb? he means like check your fuel filter and check for dirty injectors and what not. you can check the fuel pressure if you want to check out the pump on F.I. auto shops are the only peps that do that but i believe you can get the tools to check it yourself at any part store.

Coy
10-13-2004, 10:05 AM
its a carb as i said in the first post. i already changed both fuel filters and im not even sure where the pump is the only place ive ever known of a fuel pump being is in the tank.

timings great. theres not really much more info i can give about anytihng here, other than a horid slip in the tranny this is all its doing. thats why i cant figure it out myself. it may sound like i dont know much about cars but i do. this one just makes me feel like an idiot. (give me MPFI and a five speed)

86LXItooFAST4me
10-13-2004, 10:10 AM
hum, tried rrebuilding the carb at all? check all the vacuum lines?

great86er
10-13-2004, 10:18 AM
yes the fuel pump is in the trunk under the carpet near the right side.. . but before you rebuild the carb, take it off and go to a good carb shop and have them flow test it. if it's bad then rebuild. it's not too hard...just takes a little bit of extra time and patience. or if you want just buy a new weber :)

Coy
10-13-2004, 10:26 AM
vacuum is all good. rebuild the carb? hmm, thats what i was thinking but i dont have alot of patience.

my trunk has no carpet in it anymore, and i dont recall seeing anytihng fuel pump lookin item anywhere....please refer to my sig or the first post....its an 85.

86LXItooFAST4me
10-13-2004, 11:07 AM
i believe you have to pull the back seat out for the fuel pump, but on the carb, must of the time you can get one that is already rebuilt at a part store. just depends if you wanna pay that much. specially since youre not sure thats the problem.

Coy
10-13-2004, 11:23 AM
hmm, i havent seen the pump in under the seat either. ill; get to the bottom of this "wheres the fuel pump" when i get to work ill check the repair manual. i work at an auto parts store....i get a great discount but i dont make much money as its unfortunately my primary job.

86LXItooFAST4me
10-13-2004, 11:38 AM
what part store do you work at? i used to work at O'Reilly's. fun job and you learn a SHIT LOAD about cars.

Coy
10-13-2004, 06:49 PM
i work at advacned auto parts. i dont really like the general idea of the job, the whole pitch a sale so your managers look good. :-P to that. i am learning quite a bit, and getting known in the automotive world (from the commercial account guys) not to mention i get shit for hours.

86LXItooFAST4me
10-14-2004, 03:51 AM
yeah, i know exactly what you mean about the store managers and DMs, it is all about them. they just shit on everyone else. thats the main reason i left that shit.

Coy
10-14-2004, 10:52 AM
lol, now that we've completely veered of topic....lmao.

what was the original topic? lol

Coy
10-14-2004, 11:30 AM
now that i finally know where the pump is. (its under the driverside back door, underneath the car.) i do hear a ticking sound every few seconds coming from that general region. i dont know what that means if anything.

86LXItooFAST4me
10-14-2004, 11:32 AM
get it pressure tested. like i said either get the tool at a part store or take it up to a shop.

Coy
10-14-2004, 06:40 PM
ill check on the tomorow..thanks.

Coy
10-16-2004, 12:09 PM
so i went to move the car from the street and backed it up against the garage door this morning. i put it back in park and it started reving up to 3 grand. i got out went to open the hood to make sure that everything was connected to the air box, then proceeded to take it off so i opened the trunk and when i walked back to the rear of the car there was a black mark on the garage door that looked likes someone had spraypainted it. nope, it was from the exhaust.

i went to udjust the idle down to spec and nothing happened. WTF???

Magny
10-16-2004, 10:01 PM
you must be running helllllllllllllaaaaaa lean for you to be having a black mark on your garage door from the exhause system. doesnt have to smoke out to prove that you are running lean but at some point before it does start to smoke is where you are at. but then again I could be wrong. my car is running awfully rich, no smoke, but rich(at least if my A/F ratio gauge is even accurate at all, cause I get 9 out of 10 bars when I gun it, but when I am at idle only 1 bar). so all in all, like i said about the black mark, you may be starving your car of fuel without even knowing it at all. if you think about it, race cars dont really get good milage cause of a rich fuel miture, but when you lean it out you get really great milage. to show you a graph on it, let me show you one:
http://racetep.com/hal2.jpg

found this from a racing site, but this isnt an exactly accurate or very good graph to use, but it gives you an idea of what the air fuel ratio is used for.

Coy
10-16-2004, 10:06 PM
but what can i do about that, or how can i find out exactly. without taking it to a shop to get it fixed. ill take it to a shop to get it diagnosed, but i will not let them fix it.

Magny
10-16-2004, 10:21 PM
if ya want to get it checked yourself, you could get yourself a gauge like I did, install it and run the motor to see where it shows (if it will start for you) and if it is really lean, then you can adjust the mixture by turning the mixture screw. there is a how to for the mixture screw, but as for the gauge, there are multiple ways to get it installed. I installed mine in the headliner without the housing. but if thats not it then at least you will have a gauge to have for future adjustments, but if it is the problem, at least you found out a way to do it without having it get fixed by someone who will charge probably $500 just for doing the littlest thing in the world. but you can still do it without the gauge, just gotta adjust it really high and when it stops, go a few turns back, then it should be set to a higher mixture.

Magny
10-16-2004, 10:27 PM
well, i couldnt find the thread for the fuel mixture screw to make it easier for you, but someone will help out and show ya, I just didnt have enough time cause I gotta go to bed for work tomorrow, hella early in the mornin. so yeah hope you can find the thread, otherwise someone else will show ya before I could tomorrow. Nite all.

Hondacrazy
10-16-2004, 11:28 PM
There is not air/fuel mixture on the 2g the carbs always have probs. Sometimes it is just easier to go to junkyard and get a new one. They are very easy to change. Mostly they just go. I have had 15 2geez. I know very well.

Coy
10-17-2004, 01:01 AM
i think i may just have to go get a new carb from a junkyard. i wanna learn to rebuild one anyways. if im gunna nave a car with a carb, and refuse to go to a shop, i guess ill need to learn a thing or two about them. besides that i want to convert to mechanical second and remove all those goddamn vacuum lines.

the car is running, and i got the idle taken care of. i dont know if its still spittin shit outta the exhaust but hopefully nothing bad comes outta it if it is running with a bad A/F mixture...i still need to get the fuel system checked. i missed my mechanic friend friday so thats getting done i just gotta pull my ass outta bed early enough. (damned insomnia) if you find that thread thread then thanks for the help. if you dont then dont worry about it.

SHURIK
10-17-2004, 01:38 AM
if ur g2 carb is f ing u so much go to the junck yard and get a old civic carb witha manual choak thse carbs u can adjust anyway u want the only thing is u might have to drill the fule jets out a bit like find a tiny bit that fits the jet and go one size biger it will run ur 2 L just right got milege and half deasent speed and only 3 vac lines on the civic carb and the carb should fit ur intake cause the g2 and alot of civics have the same carb mounting just hit the junk yard up and look around also hundai pony carb might work my friend is runnig his g3 with a pony carb no vac lines at all
but he had to make a transfer plate hundi suck but the pony was a cool winter beater it just went

SHURIK
10-17-2004, 01:46 AM
also the guy who told u ur running lean might not be right u get black shit cause ur fule isent burning wich in most cases means u got to much fule to burn also cold be a bad plug so one cilinder isent combusting could be ur conpretion is shit like berly any compretion at this point it wont combust fule like it should and it could be ur valve seals ar done and poring oil into the cilinder when the valve opens or it could be all of the above pull the plugs if any of them are oily and black that means that cylinder isent fireing right if thier farly old and things are ok ur plugs should be a a dry light brown a littel black shit is ok

Coy
10-17-2004, 09:17 AM
the poluga are only a month or so old, but i dont know about the wires and coil. the distributor and rotor are only a few months old. but i think ill pull the plugs and check em out.