PDA

View Full Version : Rear sway bar poly bushings (LXi)

possum
10-12-2004, 12:38 PM
I have been searching the forum for this answer but it eludes me.

Can the 13mm/0.5" Energy Suspension Universal sway bar bushing and braket kit be used on our Accords?

I understand the original LXi rear sway bar mounting brackets are rather specialized as one side of the bracket "hooks" to the frame and the other side bolts with one bolt. Naturally this means the universal bracket is not going to work.

My question is whether the poly bushing itself can be easily modified to slip into and be used with the OE bracket? Would a few passes with a rough file or dremel shaping tool do the trick? Has anyone tried this? Successfully?

TIA
Possum :rockon:

Bryan
10-12-2004, 02:40 PM
Try it? Let us know.

Did you search? Cause that might find your answer, but I don't know what the answer is. Might as well try it.

Vanilla Sky
10-12-2004, 05:01 PM
actually, in this case, the search does nothing... there is no decisive answer to this question anywhere on the board...

BUT

what you are saying will work... i would go ahead and do that, but don't get discouraged when you have to take several mm of material off...

Busted_Blue
10-12-2004, 05:13 PM
if you are talking about the bracket that holds the bar on to the chassis, MOST LIKELY it will fit with a couple passes with a dremel. I don't see why not. Considering the bracket hooks on one side and the other side is a bolt, its possible to have some room for the bushing to be bigger and be squished a little when you bolt it. Your task isn't too hard and I don't see why it wouldn't work, provided you might need to shave the bushing alittle bit more on the outside.

possum
10-12-2004, 05:22 PM
Yep going to give it a try.

So far to improve the handling of my Accord, I have replaced all the struts with Tokico HP's, lower strut bushings, and rear sway bar end link bushings (using Napa OE replacement bushing).

I just picked up a set of 9.8105 ES poly bushings to replace the front end links.
Next I need to pick up both the 22mm and the 13mm ES frame mount bushing sets.

New rotors, rear spring kit, and the front end links all go on this weekend. I hope those end links tighten things up, cause the car is "really" loose on broken and uneven pavement. The balljoints, tires, alignment, etc are all good, so it must be those end links or possibly lots of squishy control arm bushings.

possum
10-16-2004, 02:11 PM
Today I tossed on my new rotors, adjusted up the rear brakes, and swapped out the old disinigrated front sway bar end links.

I used a universal end link bushing and washer set from Energy Suspension. I reused the OE washers, and put the new ones in my toolbox for some other project. The new bushings are quite a bit taller than the OE bushings, so I shaved off 1/8 inch from the washer side of each bushing. This made getting the nuts started much easier, not to mention reduced the chances of my cross-threading a nut.

When I had one of the endlinks out of the way, I was able to grab the sway bar and move it up and down. I could see daylight between it and the frame bushings. There was a HUGE amount of play. I must replace these bushings too, they're wasted.

Conclusion, the sway bar end links are a must have. My old bushings were shot, and these new ones really improved the steering stability and response on twisty roads with chopped and broken pavement. Coupled with poly frame bushings, the car will handle even better.