PDA

View Full Version : Two Problems

Underdog
10-14-2004, 04:17 PM
Ok, long post here.
There are two somewhat major problems with my car right now. The first is the seatbelt warning chime. Before, I'd start the car, and it'd chime a few times and then stop. Now it won't stop beeping. It's so annoying and gets me really frustrated if I'm driving for like more than 5 minutes which isn't a good thing. I did a search and found some stuff about the beep, but I don't think any of them were similar to mine, since mine just starts going and never stops. However, the seatbelt light doesn't come on, so that's got me even more confused.

Second problem is engine related. I've checked the ECU and it's not throwing any codes. The problem is that once the needle on the temperature gauge goes above the C, the car lags pretty bad until about 3000RPM. For like 3 from when I start the car I don't notice any lag at all. I've got a few theories and would like to know your thoughts. My first theory is my short ram intake I recently installed. I'm thinking that maybe since the filter is basically right next to the engine block, that once the engine warms up it starts sucking in the hot air and the hot air makes the engine lag. Does that make sense? My second theory is also related to the intake. The hose from the intake to the valve cover that came with my intake was too small to fit around the opening in the valve cover, so I kinda jury-rigged it by taking a section of the old hose and fit it OVER the hose that came with the intake, and then used the little clamp that the stock intake had on the hoses. Now my question is, could the valve cover not be getting the air it needs? Like since the clamp is there, I wonder if it's pinching down on the opening of the smaller diameter hose that came with the intake. Would not getting air to the valve cover cause the car to lag? If so, why doesn't it lag until the engine heats up? Actually, I'm not really sure what the third theory is, but the theory is basically that it doesn't have anything to do with the intake at all. Could there be an O2 sensor bad somewhere? And again, why doesn't it lag until the engine heats up? I know that the SRI wasn't the best choice, but it's what I did, and I'll definately replace it with the stock intake if that's the problem.

Thanks for the help, I've had a crappy week and the car problems are making it ten times worse. I also have to replace my valve cover gasket since it's leaking oil onto the manifold, and also replace the o-rings on the fuel injectors.

Underdog
10-15-2004, 08:09 PM
For some reason it's not beeping at me anymore. I just read a post about bad MPG above mine, and it sounds kinda like me. I think I'm not getting very good gas mileage too, probably from my leaky injectors. But I'd really like some insight on the lagging though. Could it be an O2 sensor? But I guess that doesn't make sense since it only lags once the engine has warmed up, if the needle is below the line on the temperature gauge it's fine though :(

edit: also, the car doesn't lag as much when it's cool outside, even with the temperature gauge up a little less than halfway, mainly when it's sunny and mildy warm is when it lags the most, at the same engine temp.

SHURIK
10-16-2004, 01:18 AM
wana know somthing try cuting the thermal sensosr i forgot wher the thing is but my 86 ran nice when cold then it lost all power when it warmd up so try unpluging the temp sensor and see what it dose it might be a got fast fixt and dont wory about the rad fan turning on cause the rad has its own sensor but dont touch that one thats my idea and when i kild the engin temp sensor the car actuly ran like crazy fast pick up full power try it see what it dose

maka_RTH
10-16-2004, 01:25 AM
yah, i'll bet that once your car heats up your no longer pulling in the nice cool, dense air, so you notice that drop in power. i've noticed the same thing. the engine just runs better when it's cool/cool outside.

Blkblurr
10-16-2004, 05:00 AM
Read through the EFI tech forum. There's alot of discussion about similar problems. My guess would be vacuum lines cracked or broken or a pcv valve stuck open.

Underdog
10-16-2004, 11:55 AM
Do most people with short ram intakes experience similar problems? I'm tempted to put on the stock intake on a warm day and see if it still does it, which might be like July since it's washington.