PDA

View Full Version : Auto shift question

skippy124
10-17-2004, 05:29 AM
Hi Guys,

I have done a search here and can't find anything that might help me, so hence the post.

I have an 88 accord auto, and recently it is intermittently not shifting into 4th gear. Seems to be worse when cold. I have checked fluid level... ok, and the throttle position cable linkage adjustment, it is ok too. The fluid could do with a flush and change, I will do that next weekend but I don't think that is the cause of the problem. Other than this, the auto seems to work fine, no slipping or harsh changes.

Any ideas???

A20A1
10-17-2004, 09:31 AM
Probably just wear and tear.

accordlxi2.0
10-17-2004, 12:50 PM
yea what he said, plus i'm comparing my 86' with my 88'.

the 88' tranny is what you would say, touchy, but somewhat helpful.

i know on my 86 when the car was cold the t/c would'nt lock up til it was warm.
now when you check the trans fluid, wipe it on a napkin, what was the color? i would ask about metal shavings but i'm not sure on that . . . . .

POS carb
10-17-2004, 07:14 PM
if its not the cable then you hve a stuck valve inside one of the valvebodies, really the only thing you can do is flish it and hope it goes away
probably the 3/4 shift valve in the main valve body

POS carb
10-17-2004, 07:17 PM
try unsticking the valve after a flush like this:

from a stop accelerate the car, when it changes to 2nd gear put the gear selector in 2, continue to accelerate normal, at around 5k, punch it and rev it to 6k, put it in D4 and then ease off the gas (go to like 1/2 throttle), that should build enough pressure to get it to pop open

skippy124
10-19-2004, 01:11 AM
Thanks for the advice, I'll try the unstick the valve trick. The trans fluid is a little brownish so a flush and change is in order, but it doesn't smell burnt. I don't know the history of the car, but it has been looked after, and has done 205,000 klm (130,000 miles) and the engine is in great condition, no smoke and uses absolutely no oil at all.

SHURIK
10-19-2004, 04:35 PM
i have a qetion my accord switches gears at 3000 rpm is that normal or should it switch erlyer can u tell me cause i just swapt the rtany and i dont wana cook it

POS carb
10-20-2004, 08:41 AM
mine used to shift around 3k until the tranny shop screwed with it. Trust me there isn't much torque down low, it's better like that. Mine started locking up around 1.5k and it was sloooow until about 2 or 2.5... sounded cool tho! :b