PDA

View Full Version : Flooded and doesn't like to start!

mindfckr420
10-18-2004, 08:16 AM
Ever since the temperature has started to drop, my 89 carbed accord lx has had trouble running smooth after starting. At first, it started by either idling really low and rough, or it would skyrocket to about 3k or higher. It would do this for about 20 mins until the car warmed up and from then on out it would run great. Now it would only do this on a cold start, after the car has been sitting for 5+ hours in cold weather.
Now that the temp has dropped even more, it doesnt like to start at all. When it does, the high/low idle is extreme. When it does not, it just floods. Checked all the vacuum lines, everything ok. When I checked the plugs.....they were wet with fuel.

Where do I begin????

accordlxi2.0
10-18-2004, 08:22 AM
okay not being a smart ass, but i'm wondering how long have you had the car??
plus when you first go to start do you push the gas pedal once?? (even though you should'nt have to).

mindfckr420
10-18-2004, 08:41 AM
its cool, ive only had it since may. Its just my daily beater but it is my first carb'd car.

and i only push the pedal usually if it doesnt start right away. Had absolutely no problems with the car starting and running during the warm summer months........none of this started till the temps dropped.

accordlxi2.0
10-18-2004, 08:44 AM
yea, the carbs some what hates cold.
so when you do push the pedal it starts up right??

sorry for asking so many questios i don't wanna send you off to the wrong problem . . . . .

shepherd79
10-18-2004, 08:47 AM
if your plugs are wet, that indicates that you sending fuel down but it won't ignight.
sounds like you may want to clean or replace the spark plugs, and do some tune up to your ignition system.

mindfckr420
10-18-2004, 09:37 AM
yeah, tried pushing the pedal........if i pump the holy crap out of it it flutters, but thats it.

what all ingition parts should i replace?

accordlxi2.0
10-18-2004, 09:40 AM
replace sparkplugs, sparkplug wires, distributor cap and rotor.

how about the choke once you get started is the flap open a little??

A20A1
10-18-2004, 10:43 AM
Do not pump the gas pedal...

Pumping the gas pedal will cause the accelerator pump to squirt fuel into the intake manifold... one time is enough... anymore and you'll flood the engine with fuel.

First you need to fill the fuel bowl... turn the key to the second position to get the fuel pump to send some fuel to the float bowl... turn the key off and then turn it on agaiin to send more fuel... do it about 3 to 4 times...
Next press the gas pedal once and no more but don't let go of the gas... hold the throttle open by holding the pedal down when you pump the gas the first time instead of letting go.

Turn the key.

If it doesn't catch... try to start the car without the throttle open.

If it doesn't catch... pump a second time and try a little less throttle... again not letting go or else you're send too much fuel to the engine.

mindfckr420
10-18-2004, 12:24 PM
ignition is all good.

tried your process A20A1, but it still flooded. Just cleaned off the plugs, and im going to let it sit for a bit, then try again.

Thinking about this........should i pull the carb and get it tested?

accordlxi2.0
10-18-2004, 02:37 PM
what about the choke, vacuum lines???
if the choke does'nt close all the way or even 1/2 way, it's not gonna start.
if it's a vacuum leak with 3 or more line, it's not gonna start either

POS carb
10-20-2004, 08:56 AM
make sure there's vacuum and no leaks at the power valve line, it's on the top of the carb in the back (it had 3 lines up there) check the one closest to the driver side wheel, it should have constant vacuum at idle. If there's no vacuum the carb may run too rich aand cause the problems you described. I did have an episode though that it seemed every time I took the carb off if I turned it upside-down and then put it back it would throw gas everywhere aDN I WOULD HAVE TO REPLACE IT WITH A JUNKER UNIT (sorry caps) also try to start it with the choke jammed open, sometimes the choke function goes bad and it'll puke black smoke out the exhaust for a good 5 min from running so rich. I ran no choke for a while b/c of this