PDA

View Full Version : shock settings

Zman
10-18-2004, 02:58 PM
ok guys need a little help determining on how stiff or soft to set the front struts. heres what i got 89 sei koni reds and h&r springs.

Busted_Blue
10-18-2004, 03:16 PM
I emailed Koni...still awaiting a reply about matching my spring rates.

but here is the main idea

* Clockwise = Firmer
* Counter Clockwise = Softer

I think 1-1.5 turns is good for your H&R springs

Zman
10-18-2004, 03:27 PM
the reason i was asking was that koni said about one turn and i want to see what others had tried and what seemed to work the best. let me know what they told you and for what type of ride

AZmike
10-18-2004, 04:06 PM
I have mine one turn from full soft on both front and rear with H&Rs. The rear seems a little more damped than the front, but I'm satisfied with the balance. If it was easier to adjust I would try it with 1.25 turns from soft on the front, but considering how good it is, it's not worth the trouble to me to find out. In short, Koni's recommendation seems right to me. I'd describe the ride as firm, but not excessively harsh.

Busted_Blue
10-22-2004, 01:23 AM
anyone have any ideas on a 350lb/in linear front spring rate optimal setting would be for a koni? I don't want to change it and have to do it again. 2turns sound good?

koni hasnt replied to me in a week.

shepherd79
10-22-2004, 04:41 AM
if i remember correctly, jim posted how to adjust konies sometimes inthe past.

something people should read when adjusting Koni struts:
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=2296&highlight=adjusting+koni

PM or Email Jim about adjusting them for your particular application.

smufguy
10-22-2004, 06:16 AM
for a soft spring like the H&R a soft or normal rebound setting would be quite adequite. Whats the drop in those springs? they are not coil overs are they?

AZmike
10-22-2004, 03:38 PM
anyone have any ideas on a 350lb/in linear front spring rate optimal setting would be for a koni? I don't want to change it and have to do it again. 2turns sound good?

koni hasnt replied to me in a week.

1.5 turns is about where I would start for that spring rate.

Busted_Blue
10-23-2004, 06:42 PM
thanks mike, but I'm curious on exactly what to do. I dont want to be messing with settings as I don't have alot of time on my hands to change more than once. I already having trouble figuring a day to do it in the first place.

Are ground control progressive coilovers? I remember their spring rates are 350 in the front too. I have linear springs in the front which are fairly tall springs and get 350lb/in. Anyone ACTUALLY tried tokicos with Koni struts? Any ideas from any experienced users from a stiffer linear spring rate with the koni struts.

smufguy
10-23-2004, 08:38 PM
Are ground control progressive coilovers? I remember their spring rates are 350 in the front too. I have linear springs in the front which are fairly tall springs and get 350lb/in. Anyone ACTUALLY tried tokicos with Koni struts? Any ideas from any experienced users from a stiffer linear spring rate with the koni struts.

no they are not. none of the coilovers available commercially is progressive.

86LXItooFAST4me
10-24-2004, 04:47 AM
hey, what should i set it on for just stock coils?? i mean im going to get aftermaket ones later but right now i need to save a little money. but my struts are gone and i have these 4 konis just sitting here. so i figured while i have my engine and shit out i mite as well put them on. so what should i set them on for agressive driving and stock coils?

smufguy
10-24-2004, 04:13 PM
hey, what should i set it on for just stock coils?? i mean im going to get aftermaket ones later but right now i need to save a little money. but my struts are gone and i have these 4 konis just sitting here. so i figured while i have my engine and shit out i mite as well put them on. so what should i set them on for agressive driving and stock coils?

softest setting for stock coils. BUt u will experience slight bumpy ride cause of the stiffer shox and softer spring. BUt it will be better than the old set up. The instructions are on the papers of how to adjust the rebound. so follow that and put the rebound at its MINIMUM.

Zman
10-25-2004, 02:35 PM
ok set my konis at one turn from soft and just have tokicos in the rear with h&R springs haven't had much time to drive it but it seems to be alittle darty. might need to align it again. easy fix for a SEI

86LXItooFAST4me
10-27-2004, 10:01 AM
softest setting for stock coils. BUt u will experience slight bumpy ride cause of the stiffer shox and softer spring. BUt it will be better than the old set up. The instructions are on the papers of how to adjust the rebound. so follow that and put the rebound at its MINIMUM.

thanks man, this is just till i get my coil overs.

Busted_Blue
10-27-2004, 10:58 AM
who did you guys email koni for settings? I set one for shock modification and one as a general question.

AZmike
10-27-2004, 11:21 AM
I emailed Gordon directly and usually got a response within a day or so. I may still have his address. I could look for it this evening if you like.

Zman
10-27-2004, 02:23 PM
ok got about 300 miles over various types of roads . one compression one rebound up ride is controled but seems a little choppy

smufguy
10-27-2004, 07:37 PM
ok got about 300 miles over various types of roads . one compression one rebound up ride is controled but seems a little choppy

choppy as in stiff? cause if thats what it is, then its expected. Did u set it to the lowest possible rebound as i mentioned?

Busted_Blue
10-27-2004, 07:42 PM
I emailed Gordon directly and usually got a response within a day or so. I may still have his address. I could look for it this evening if you like.

that would be great... i want to know good settings before I do it..as I got only enough time for one setting within the next few months.

smufguy
10-27-2004, 07:43 PM
i wish they made Koni yellow for us so we can adjust it from outside without pulling the strut and spring apart.

Ludi Mali
10-27-2004, 08:34 PM
i wish they made Koni yellow for us so we can adjust it from outside without pulling the strut and spring apart.

i emailed koni on the price to add external adjustability and it was like $600+ for all 4 shocks and struts. which totally blew me away, i was expecting like 200 or so.

smufguy
10-27-2004, 08:58 PM
i emailed koni on the price to add external adjustability and it was like $600+ for all 4 shocks and struts. which totally blew me away, i was expecting like 200 or so.

jesus, thats a shit load of money.

Busted_Blue
10-28-2004, 04:13 AM
well i just emailed Gordon at Koni about my setup.

Derek,

You should be all right running the shocks at about three-quarters of a
turn from full soft. That will work fine with the springs and likely
not be so firm that the car is uncomfortable to drive. Thanks for
writing.

Gordon
- Hide quoted text -

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2004 3:01 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Koni Special Red Settings

Hey Gordon,

Hi AZMIKE from 3geez.com gave me your email since I had a setting
question about koni specials on 89 accord lxi. here goes:

I have tokico 1inch drop springs on my car. The springs are linear
350lb/in in the front. I was wondering how many turns should I set the
Koni special in the front? thanks!

--
-Derek
Busted_Blue from 3geez.com Forums

I'm a little suprised at the setting he gave me. any insight?

Zman
11-01-2004, 04:19 PM
got over a grand on them now like the koni's on front at a full turn from soft . only wich the the tokico's could be adjusted firmer.

Busted_Blue
11-01-2004, 09:39 PM
i guess i'll do 2turns and see how that feels.