PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the Carb

Accord_Beater
10-19-2004, 01:49 PM
I've been reading through the card tech section on here, looking on what to do when the car is stalling, idling rough, and so on. Seems it could be vacuum leak, something with the carb, etc...

But now, to clean the carb, do i remove the whole air filter housing, or just spray through the little metal grill thing covering the carb? I figure ill try cleaning it first, as it was only $5 for the cleaner. after that, im going to check all the lines for a leak, will also replace the cap/rotor (as its cheap enough). Im hoping this is the only problem. the car only has 178,000 KMS (not miles).

I saw a bunch of links with 'how to' sections. but i dont think it said if i should remove the whole thing or not. Im guessing probably yes. am i right?

DeathRat
10-19-2004, 05:15 PM
Well for starters you could always just turn up the idle while pouring a small amount of ATF down the carb. The detergent in the ATF will clean out the carb. Just be forewarned that it will also smoke out the area the car is in too.

A20A1
10-19-2004, 11:30 PM
stick with carb cleaner... also spray the linkages... replace the fuel filters and whipe the fuel bowl clean... you'll have to remove the top hat of the carb... download the service manual from pauls site to get the specifics on dissasembeling the top of the carb.

when you reinstall the carb top hat and the air cleaner it may take a while to refill the fuel bowl of the carb because you drained the fuel when replacing the rear filters and also drained the fuel from the bowl when whiping it.

turn the key to the second ignition position but not all the way... then turn it off after 2 seconds... then repeat the process... you'll need to do this about 10-20 times since you're filling the fuel line filters and float bowl...

after that the car should start good.

train
10-26-2004, 09:23 AM
taking the carb completely off and cleaning it by hand rather than just spraying it while it's still bolted down is prob the best way to do it. you'll get the most gunk removed that way i think.

A20A1
10-27-2004, 02:10 AM
yeah but you'd have to replace all the gaskets or you'll end up with various vacuum leaks and even run the chance of coolant bleeding into the intake manifold somewhere down the road.