PDA

View Full Version : Tilted

nutmeg_runner
10-20-2004, 05:58 PM
First I apologize if this should have been posted in another forum but I wanted to inquire if anyone has run across this problem and what caused it. The 3G is tilting toward the right (driver side). If I jack the car up from the front tow hook the left wheel leaves the ground way before the right (more than an inch of clearance before the right leaves the ground). With wheels back on the ground, the clearance above the right front wheel and the wheel well rim is just over 2 inches while the left is over 3 inches. The same is true with the rear wheels/wells. At first I thought maybe the damper spring broke but when I pulled the front wheel off it looked ok. Also the car was still tilted when I had it jacked up on the front tow hook. When I jump on a corner of the car it does not bounce more than once. I am considering replacing the strut assembly with one from the junkyard as the present one is a used one from 7 years ago and I am at a loss for any other possible causes.

shepherd79
10-20-2004, 06:15 PM
over time the springs will sag a little thus creating the uneven look.
the best way to fix the problem is to get all 4 new springs.

2old_honda
10-20-2004, 10:41 PM
my car is the same way (not quite as bad as yours sounds tho) when it sits on level ground. there is maybe 3/8"+ difference between the two sides. you have a saging spring.
When you jack up the car from the tow hook its normal for the car to lean to one side. The hook is probably not perfectly centered on the car. Plus the engine sits closer to the drivers side making it lean that way when its on the jack. Nothing to worry about there.

nutmeg_runner
10-21-2004, 04:41 AM
Thank you so much for the helpful advice. From your answers I should have posted this under the suspension, wheels forum, sorry for any inconvenience.

nutmeg_runner
10-22-2004, 05:23 PM
Happy to report that I replaced the driver side front strut today and the tilt is corrected. I think it might have been the cartridge that was bad. Thanks again for your help. I see another error in my original post-I got my left and right mixed up.
This strut assembly I had just replaced a few months ago!