PDA

View Full Version : apexi s-afc install and settings q?

hondamanlxi
10-21-2004, 12:18 AM
Does anyone have an wiring diagram and settings for this? i got a used one for 100 bucks and i have a faint idea how to wire it.. and NO idea how to tune it :sadwave:

any help would be great!

86LXItooFAST4me
10-21-2004, 04:17 AM
lol, good luck! but go to http://www.apexi-usa.com/documentation.asp

shepherd79
10-21-2004, 04:48 AM
which one did you get?
the new ones are little harder to hook up.

Vinny
10-21-2004, 04:58 AM
Tuning is best left to a tuner, thats what they get paid to do. Find a local shop with a good rep and let them do it, you wont be sorry

86LXItooFAST4me
10-21-2004, 05:21 AM
Tuning is best left to a tuner, thats what they get paid to do. Find a local shop with a good rep and let them do it, you wont be sorry

but thats the easy way Vinny!! why do that when there is the HARD WAY!

AccordEpicenter
10-21-2004, 06:29 AM
do a conservative tune like i did... thatll work just fine (maybe down 5-10hp from a fully tuned setup) but itll prevent you from blowing anything. Which model did you get? Theres at least 6 different ones from what ive seen (1 knob, 6 knob, SAFC I, SAFC II, VAFC I, VAFC II).

hondamanlxi
10-21-2004, 09:19 AM
i got the safc I.

of course our ecu isnt listed, which cars pinout should i use? the 4th gen ecu is a direct plug in right? use that diagram?

TUNING: i highly doubt their is anyone in town that actually can "tune", if anyone has already done this...post you map

shepherd79
10-21-2004, 12:23 PM
there is no direct plug it. you will have all the wires yourself. it took me a few hours to figure out which wire when where.
and when it comes to tunning, you may want to get wide band O2 sensor and wide band air/fuel gauge. it will help you to tune the mixture almost to perfect condition.

guaynabo89
10-21-2004, 03:25 PM
Does anyone have an wiring diagram and settings for this? i got a used one for 100 bucks and i have a faint idea how to wire it.. and NO idea how to tune it :sadwave:

any help would be great!

Do you have the install manual at all?

If not I suggest you dwonloa d it from their site.

The accords pinout is the same as the one listed for the b16 teg and civic. just look for the only one that has the same shaped plugs as the Accord.

The wiring is pretty simple. you tee the wires into the harness except for the map which gets cut and goes into and out of the afc.

The hard part is getting the rpm signal. I used the tach output of my msd ignition but if you dont have one you have to find the correct tach signal wire in back of the gauge cluster.

As far as setting it up. I say find someone who can do it. Its so damn long to read through the manual and try and figure it out on your own.plus you could damagfe something.

Let me tell you this the afc is one of the best little products for Hondas. I have an afc2 and it was worth every penny. Its a must for anyone who wants to get more out of their other wise stock efi system. I had someone locally set it up and with just slight changes in the fuel it made one hell of a difference.

One thing though, If your not plannig on having someone tune it to your car it might be a waste of time cause you will never see the full benefits and probably dislike the afc. Just keep that in mind. I know good tuners are hard to find but just keep on looking.

Shady_Pro
11-30-2004, 01:43 PM
is wiring one of theres to a20a3 work the same as the a20a1 ecu's in the prelude's...or are those ecus not compatable with piggy back systems i donno....?

thegreatdane
12-02-2004, 12:23 PM
is wiring one of theres to a20a3 work the same as the a20a1 ecu's in the prelude's...or are those ecus not compatable with piggy back systems i donno....?

They do not have an ECU, they have a solenoid control unit because it's carbed. So it will not work.

Shady_Pro
12-07-2004, 12:23 PM
no man the a20a1 isn't carb'd its efi the a18 is carb'd

P|eszczoH
12-10-2004, 02:47 AM
no man the a20a1 isn't carb'd its efi the a18 is carb'd

No You are wrong
A20A1 and A20A2 are carbed engines.
A20A3 and A20A4 are Fi engines.

I had A20A1, A20A2 , and now i have two A20A3 in my Aerodecks and I'm sure of what I'm saying.

Versanick
08-22-2005, 07:17 PM
Since the effective rev limit in an a20 ECU (pj0) is the cutting of fuel, would an apex S-AFC II be able to set fuel maps for above 7000rpm?

Would I, by using it, be able to rev to 8000rpm? Or, better, use my MSD 8000rpm pill to rimit my revs? 6950 on my b20a begs to be expanded.

If you can adjust fuel curves in 500rpm increments, why not 7000, 7500, 8000, where the ECU has no maps beyond 7000?

Versanick
08-22-2005, 07:43 PM
Is there any known way to bypass the ECU's rev limit. I would think a piggyback would be able to feed the ECU whatever signal it needs, then send signal to the injectors and such, and to the ignition...

or do I need to just give up and get a different ECU?

jigga89SEi
12-14-2005, 12:10 PM
Well before cke goes ballistic I'm bringin this thread back for the fact that it has some useful info.. that n the fact that I cant find an answer to my questions anywhere else...

From what I read the S-afc II can be hooked up to an a3.. But its more difficult... Does anyone actually have one? Or can tell me whats up with it?.. I'm lookin for an S-afc I but I haven't found one yet... I would like to get one because Ive decided I'm gonna do an ITB setup on my N/A engine.. N the cheapest method of control I can figure is an S-afc..

Anyone have any input?...

guaynabo89
12-14-2005, 02:30 PM
Well before cke goes ballistic I'm bringin this thread back for the fact that it has some useful info.. that n the fact that I cant find an answer to my questions anywhere else...
From what I read the S-afc II can be hooked up to an a3.. But its more difficult... Does anyone actually have one? Or can tell me whats up with it?.. I'm lookin for an S-afc I but I haven't found one yet... I would like to get one because Ive decided I'm gonna do an ITB setup on my N/A engine.. N the cheapest method of control I can figure is an S-afc..
Anyone have any input?...

well if I remember corectly it only has like six wires. power, ground, in from map sensor, out to ecu map, tach, and tps.

All of which can be tapped at the ecu just like your supposed to, except for the tach. For that your going to have to either open up the dash and run a lead from the back of the tachometer to the afc or if you have an aftermarket ignition box with a tach output (msd 6 al etc) you can use that for your afc. This is what I did before I went obd1.

89T
12-14-2005, 05:14 PM
ahh! nevermind.
pr6 sensor type.

jigga89SEi
12-15-2005, 03:54 AM
well if I remember corectly it only has like six wires. power, ground, in from map sensor, out to ecu map, tach, and tps.
All of which can be tapped at the ecu just like your supposed to, except for the tach. For that your going to have to either open up the dash and run a lead from the back of the tachometer to the afc or if you have an aftermarket ignition box with a tach output (msd 6 al etc) you can use that for your afc. This is what I did before I went obd1.

So is this for the model I or II.. N thanx for the info it actually helped alot...
Now does anyone think I might benifit better with the ITB set-up by runnin a different controller?...
I've also been lookin at the 4th distro/ n conversion to obd1... Input on this? Pros n Cons? will it benifit or is it just gonna waste time/money?

jigga89SEi
12-15-2005, 03:55 AM
Double post OWNz Me
:repost: :uh: :Owned2:

guaynabo89
12-15-2005, 06:16 PM
So is this for the model I or II.. N thanx for the info it actually helped alot...
Now does anyone think I might benifit better with the ITB set-up by runnin a different controller?...
I've also been lookin at the 4th distro/ n conversion to obd1... Input on this? Pros n Cons? will it benifit or is it just gonna waste time/money?

This is for afc2

obd1 is good very involved though car runs soother pulls better in higher rpm.

gfrg88
12-15-2005, 07:39 PM
would i see any difference putting this on my car with basic bolt-ons?? or would i see better improvements going obd-1 and using crome or something similar??

adams86lxi
12-15-2005, 08:20 PM
i have a safc-2 and it serioulsy only took like 20 minutes to wire up. Easy as hell man. The only wire i had trouble connecting up was the one for the rpm signal but i just ran the wire to the negative of the coil and it worked perfect. Just use the book it came with and the ecu pinouts here and its easy as hell. http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=185

jigga89SEi
12-16-2005, 06:28 AM
what exactly do u mean by goin obd1? 4g distro? Ecu? I'm a little confused on that...

gfrg88
12-16-2005, 09:06 AM
i mean converting to obd1, using an f22 dizzy and an integra chipped ecu and whatever else i need to convert it, thats what i meant...would this help out a lot for basic bolt ons??

Kabuki
12-16-2005, 04:02 PM
would i see any difference putting this on my car with basic bolt-ons?? or would i see better improvements going obd-1 and using crome or something similar??

YES! Switching to a Supported OBD0 ECU like the PR4, or PM6 or a supported OBD1 unit like the P28 or P06 would be a a great deal more benficial to you than screwing with a VAFC. By tuning the ECU, you govern how it reacts to certain stimuli. Tuning with a VAFC only changes the stimuli, but no how the ECU reacts to them.

gfrg88
12-16-2005, 04:42 PM
if i were to convert to obd-1 wich tuning program would be better for n/a, i also want to be good for turbo as i plan on turboing it next year

A20A1
12-19-2005, 11:21 AM
I think you could use an AFC in the carbed accord... but it would require a lot of work and a solid knowledge of both EFI and Carb systems. You'd have to add in or find the carb equivalent of certain sensors and then know what output you need so it can work with the carbed controll unit. In the end though, the carbed control unit may be so limited... in terms of what it can do. That the AFC will be ineffective. I mean if the carb unit only does off and on, you'll either have to look into effecting the durration... or make it osscilate between on and off really fast to get a variation between on and off.
I dunno.

Kabuki
12-19-2005, 11:41 AM
I use Crome, and have had very good luck with it. The support and development for Uberdata have stagnated in the last year, plus the main developer is a complete prick. Crome, though is actively supported and has TONS of people working on bug fixes and improvements. Crome Pro also has Auto tune... Which is pretty fucking sweet. Works VERY well.

thegreatdane
12-19-2005, 12:52 PM
From what I've read on the OBD0 development, it's difficult to get an ITB engine running as it should. OBD1 programming might have a solution for this though, I'm not sure. Problem is your vacuum readings from the ITB's will be poor, so you have to be able to tune the engine based on another signal.

jigga89SEi
12-19-2005, 05:08 PM
So Considering I'm drunk at the moment n being a complete dumbass...
What does it take to convert my A20 to obd1?

A20A1
12-19-2005, 05:18 PM
From what I've read on the OBD0 development, it's difficult to get an ITB engine running as it should. OBD1 programming might have a solution for this though, I'm not sure. Problem is your vacuum readings from the ITB's will be poor, so you have to be able to tune the engine based on another signal.

If you run with an air fitler box that makes a plenum for all 4 TB's you'll gain some vacuum stability.

Tap 2 of 4 runners with 3/32 vacuum lines, the two runners should be evenly spaced in the firing order.
Tap 4 of 4 runners with 5/32 vacuum lines with an inline check valve

Take those 6 vacuum lines and hook them all to one large tube... then use that tube to supply vacuum to the sensors and solenoids and such.

Check to see that you pull the appropriate amout of vacuum at idle.

The check valves stop vacuum from bleeding allowing it to build, the 3/32" vacuum lines allows the vacuum to bleed, it's evenly space in the firing order to bleed the vacuum more evenly.

jigga89SEi
12-21-2005, 04:22 AM
So Considering I'm drunk at the moment n being a complete dumbass...
What does it take to convert my A20 to obd1?

Any takers?

w00tw00t111
12-21-2005, 07:53 AM
haha Jigga. You're funny! Just checkout like the 100 other pages worth of material in other threads. That should tide you over for just a little while :-D

bobafett
12-21-2005, 09:26 AM
really all u need is ECU - wired appropriately, obd1 dizzy (i have a brand new one for sale if ur interested), intake manifold with appropriate sensors (map tps etc), and 4 wire o2 sensor.

the bitch is the obd0 > obd1 conversion harness and fitment of the dizzy to the a20 head.

also i think the VSS is an issue with odb. but i believe carotman or moonscryer had a solution. :)

jigga89SEi
12-21-2005, 03:16 PM
define VSS.. n how much for the dizzy? n whats it from?

bobafett
12-21-2005, 03:26 PM
variable speed sensor i think, it has to do with speedo sensor/cable from what i understand...

the dizzy is for a 92-93 accord, its the dizzy with external coil (like our cars) the internal coil 4g dizzy was prone to 'scattering' or something like that, which caused them to fail frequently. the external coil dizzy did not have this proble, and it will be more simple to wire up since our cars came with external coil distributors. :)

im asking 100 shipped. i paid 111 shipped off of ebay from distributor king. its brand new, never been used. all i did was hold it up to my head, and put it on the cam. never even turned. :)

hondamanlxi
12-21-2005, 03:29 PM
wow, this is still alive?! its wild to see how ive changed in the last year!

btw, i think i figured out how to wire up and tune an afc by now! lol

guaynabo89
12-21-2005, 04:35 PM
define VSS.. n how much for the dizzy? n whats it from?

look for the other ecm options thread . It has all the answers.....almost