PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Out Inside of Gas Tank

MIK3
10-21-2004, 08:00 PM
Has anyone done this or has had it done? I was just wondering how much it would cost me, and what kind of results I would have from it like better mileage persay. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

SteveDX89
10-22-2004, 02:55 AM
All the crap that's in the tank sits on the bottom so it wouldn't help you at all to clean it out. The fuel pump still sucks up straight gas. If anything, replace the strainer that's on the bottom of the pump. That can get clogged after a while.

shepherd79
10-22-2004, 04:11 AM
you can drain and clean the tank, but it won't be as goog as a new tank.
you have to clean it very good and use somekind solution to seal the inside of the tank to prevent from rusting.
i have to agree, with steve, it is not worth it. just replace the tank if you really want it.

smufguy
10-22-2004, 06:21 AM
the inside of the tank (bottom ) should be rust free since it has constant touch of gas. its the top part that would (might) have corroded. IF thats the case, you will need a new tank. If you got bad rust in your tank (like flaky stuff) then ur getting moisture leak in the tank somehow and u need to find out where it leaks (last stage anyway) or better yet get a good used tank or a new one.

MIK3
10-22-2004, 04:44 PM
Nah. There's not rust of any kind associated with my tank, this I know. I might try replacing my strainer however, this sounds like a logical thing to do. I'm trying to wonder why I'm only getting about 240 on 13 gallons roughly. Carburetor, fuel pumps, plugs have all be replaced withing the last year...

smufguy
10-22-2004, 10:58 PM
Nah. There's not rust of any kind associated with my tank, this I know. I might try replacing my strainer however, this sounds like a logical thing to do. I'm trying to wonder why I'm only getting about 240 on 13 gallons roughly. Carburetor, fuel pumps, plugs have all be replaced withing the last year...

for a carb ur running way too rich. Try to lean it out by messing with the air mixture screw and the AJC. u dont usually mess with it, but i got my car upto 37 mpg in a city just by leaning it out and still running normally. But these were done on the last days of the carb. Mike (A20A1) and Andy (Phyedux) should be able to help u out more with the carb and its richness.