PDA

View Full Version : Motor in, few probs to sort out.

bc86
10-21-2004, 09:14 PM
Had dist out, and while I was turning rotor by hand, sounds like something is loose, almost like rattling around while I turn it. Is this normal??

Upon removing motor, to take transaxel off, I unbolted what I guess is the tranny part.. All I did was unbolt it, and pulled it out a bit, now, seems to be a weird noise when I run my car, what did I do?

Oh, and whats up with this one. I own an 86 accord, carb. I had to buy a 85 dist cap, cuz the 86 doesnt match the one I had on there. Whats up with this?

A20A1
10-21-2004, 09:19 PM
It could be the centrifugal advance. Their are weights inside... and they have springs connected to them but it's hard to see with the stator base in the way.

For the noise did you make sure you filled the tranny... and also did you properly inster the speedometer cable into the trans?

okay you don't need an 85 cap

you either have a hitatchi distributor or a Tec distributor... they both have their own seperate cap styles.

bc86
10-21-2004, 09:26 PM
I didnt install the speedo cable, havent gotten to that part yet, so cant be that...
If its the centrifugal advance, how would I check that?? What is that even part of??
Tranny was dead empty, had it on my living room floor, and nothing leaked, when I went to fill it, it only took half a liter... I was told it should take almost 3 liters.
Something else just popped into my head. When I was installing the drive shafts, I noticed there is some type of gear, that runs inbetween the two drive shafts, is that suspossed to be facing a special way.. Is it possiable I screwed that up??

Does an 85 dist cap make any difference?? It seems to fit fine, looks alil off though, had to push it on there.

A20A1
10-21-2004, 11:58 PM
centrifugal advance is a part of the distributor... you said it was making noises.

Is it 5-speed or auto?

Auto is like 4-5 quarts right?

McNick
10-22-2004, 12:35 AM
http://imx.chat.ru/Honda/distributor/ - it's my dist photosession..
t-0013.jpg, t-0020.jpg, t-0021 shows the centrifugal mechanics.
A20A3
May be it can help you.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
10-22-2004, 08:43 AM
I didnt install the speedo cable, havent gotten to that part yet, so cant be that...
If its the centrifugal advance, how would I check that?? What is that even part of??
Tranny was dead empty, had it on my living room floor, and nothing leaked, when I went to fill it, it only took half a liter... I was told it should take almost 3 liters.
Something else just popped into my head. When I was installing the drive shafts, I noticed there is some type of gear, that runs inbetween the two drive shafts, is that suspossed to be facing a special way.. Is it possiable I screwed that up??

Does an 85 dist cap make any difference?? It seems to fit fine, looks alil off though, had to push it on there.

The gear between the driveshafts would be either the differential gear or the speedometer sensor gear. Neither of them can get messed up unless you tore down the tranny and messed inside of it. As for the tranny taking 1/2 liter (quart of oil), that is not normal, in fac the correct capacity is 2.5 liters/quarts. I would recheck the level if I were you, it might have given you a false reading. Especially if the car was on jackstands while you were filling the tranny. Also, I would try and get the correct distributore cap since that may also affect your timing and cause problems. Visit www.hondaautomotiveparts.com and compare the two different types of distributors to what you have. That way you'll know what to ask for when you are getting a new cap.

P.S.: The oil capacity listed is for MANUAL 5-SPD, automatics need more tranny fluid. Check the shop manual for the correct specs.

bc86
10-22-2004, 12:39 PM
http://imx.chat.ru/Honda/distributor/ - it's my dist photosession..
t-0013.jpg, t-0020.jpg, t-0021 shows the centrifugal mechanics.
A20A3
May be it can help you.

I looked through your pics, everything looks the same, cept for the fact I only have 2 bolts going through the dist into the head, not 3. Everything else looks the same, aside from the cap I had to use. (85 accord cap) Is something diff on my car or what?

A20A1
10-22-2004, 12:47 PM
well if it has 3 bolts then its an EFI distributor... the carbureted distributor has only 2 bolts...

bc86
10-22-2004, 12:54 PM
well if it has 3 bolts then its an EFI distributor... the carbureted distributor has only 2 bolts...

I hope one day I know as much as u guys do.

Had dist out, and while I was turning rotor by hand, sounds like something is loose, almost like rattling around while I turn it. Is this normal??

Still need to know bout this one. Sounds like a rattle.... When turning rotor round and round by hand, i can hear something move around. Like a lil peice of something.

A20A1
10-22-2004, 01:05 PM
Scroll back up to post #4

I posted that the rattle was the centrifugal advance... that is what makes a noise in most cases.

bc86
10-22-2004, 01:29 PM
Scroll back up to post #4

I posted that the rattle was the centrifugal advance... that is what makes a noise in most cases.

Ahh, so its normal then, gotcha!! Thanks