PDA

View Full Version : Changed A Hose, Found Tranny Fluid Line?

HondaBoy
10-22-2004, 10:31 AM
ok. like last week i decided to change my lower radiator hose. which may i add was a fat bitch to get the new one on the radiator. ok, so i though i would disconnect a line which i thought was just a radiator hose or something, it turned out to be a tranny fluid line. it runs like up into the radiator or something. guess it some kind of line to run the fluid through a cooler? i've always wondered what the line was, now i know not to disconnect it unless i have a catch pan under it! as for the radiator, it been running pretty much strait water through it. not a good thing! had nasty ass water that i thought was oil in it, but it was just rusty. i flushed the radiator along with the water ways in the engine. also replaced the thermostat, runs better now. it never overheated before but seems to have more power now. ok, so is that little line a cooling line for the tranny?

Vinny
10-22-2004, 10:43 AM
Automatic trannys use the radiator to cool the tranny fluid. Theres a line sending fluid into and out of the radiator from the tranny.

HondaBoy
10-22-2004, 10:46 AM
oic, that pretty interesting. guess that's how this tranny has stayed together under abuse? unlike many chrysler trannies, you know what i'm talking about.

shepherd79
10-22-2004, 11:06 AM
any automatic trannies have somekind of cooler, if they don't have it, you can always add one.
the honda tranny cooler is useless in my opinion. it can't cool down the fluid fast enough because it is running through the radiator. it should be running through independent tranny cooler, something like A20A1 did on his accord. his tranny held up to massive abuse just because of that.

A20A1
10-22-2004, 11:30 AM
Yeah I found that the oil coolers work much better... I like to leave at least one fan on...
you can add coolers to the trans without removing the stock cooler... if you want to run without the stock one I recommend you get two coolers.
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=32732

HondaBoy
10-23-2004, 10:37 AM
i should probley get a nice B&M tranny cooler. couldnt hurt. i think my friends plymouth acclaim could have used one. his tranny is jacked. he's going to get it rebuilt with heavy duty components. i wanna look on his and see if its got a cooler, it needs one if i doesnt. wonder if putting one on our '02 accord would be a good idea? i'd like that car to last a long time.

A20A1
10-23-2004, 06:41 PM
yes... less heat the better... heck I'd add a third and a fourth one if I had the money. :)
But then I'd probably hook it up to engine oil instead of tranny.