PDA

View Full Version : Wouldn't You Know!

treadhead 1952
10-22-2004, 01:04 PM
:uh: After paying all the monthly bills and what not this being the last check of the month, I figured out why I don't have the modern convenience of power steering at the moment. The previous owner/destroyer, when in the throes of "Accord Abandon" apparently decided to try and run through a solid object with the left front corner of the car, he managed to tweak the portion of the front end frame horns section of the unibody in the same location as the power steering pulley and dangerously close to the crankshaft pulley. The PS belt obviously parted company the first time the engine was started after the little fandango with something painted burgundy. After a thorough examination ( two bruised knucles from jacking the end up on that corner, hooking a large Crescent Wrench up to the bend and giving a treadheaded heave which propelled said treadhead backwards on his butt! :rofl: ) and considering of the prospects I have developed a plan.

When the Eagle screams next it is off to the freindly neighborhood Harbor Freight store for the purchase of a shiny new 10 ton porta power set up. They are running them at $109 this month so it is a good time to get one. For those who don't know a 10 ton porta power is basically a 10 ton hydraulic jack with appropriate set of accessory attatchments to attatch in and create 10 tons of pressure between two points. It is similar to the Jaws of life without the nifty little lawnmower Briggs and Stratton motor to do the grunt work. After that I shall go to Honda and score a new Honda Exhaust Bolt set and donut for the exhaust header.

After removing the exhaust pipe, accessory belts, and crank pulley I will have clearance for the porta power end pieces to fit between the frame horns in right location to tweak the end of the horn back up right to it's proper location which should fix the drooping left front corner. I may have to apply a little heat to the area at the bend, it is a two piece section welded together to form a stiffer stronger part than a single thickness of the same material. But I don't think it is in an area where it will do any harm to anything. At the same time I will have the car corner front on a jack.

Once I get the thing straightened back up I will have to realign the head light and some of the front end sheet metal that was tweaked to make the head light door operate and shine it's light in roughly the original's location. After doing all that I will be able to have power steering back! :rice:

Is there anything I should be on the lookout for while doing this operation other than the obvious safety and cautionary laundry list that accompanies this sort of endeavor from any of you other wrenchheads out there? After all I am a Chevy Guy at heart still and Bow Tie tweaks and tricks may not be useable on this little jewel. :cool: